The Student Room Group

universities in scotland

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Popppppy
Well that's ok because nobody will ever love you either.

Oh Im horrified you hate me :eek: what ever will I do :frown:
Original post by torchwood
Oh Im horrified you hate me :eek: what ever will I do :frown:

grow up and stop being such a horrible little ****?
Just a suggestion.
wtf dont you go to RGU, an EXPOLY?! :lol:

Id like to clarify that I got into uni the first time, it was Warwick to study Chemistry. Im sure we can all agree its one of the best unis in the country, somewhat superior to your beloved RGU wouldnt you say :wink:

I didnt enjoy chemistry so dropped out and went for dentistry at Glasgow, another excellent university and a very competitive course. Seeing as you go to an expoly and a pathetic one at that, you must be very familiar with failing and sucking at life generally.

I have no idea how you even contemplated judging my academic capabilities, perhaps if you looked in the mirror and judged yourself you may actually be at a university rather than at a poor excuse for one. I cant stop laughing! :biggrin:

No such thing as Scottish ex-polys. Nothing pathetic about being pretty much guaranteed a job as soon as you graduate... RGU has some of the highest graduate employment rates in the country.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 83
As a Glasgow Uni undergrad I completely agree with everything oo00oo has said. There's so much superfluous fluff surrounding the university it's sometimes hard to take seriously, that and I'm heartilly sick of the place along with its annoyingly pretentious student population. I really wish I chose to study at Strathclyde like all of my other friends.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Caedus
As a Glasgow Uni undergrad I completely agree with everything oo00oo has said. There's so much superfluous fluff surrounding the university it's sometimes hard to take seriously, that and I'm heartilly sick of the place along with its annoyingly pretentious student population. I really wish I chose to study at Strathclyde like all of my other friends.

Have you thought about transferring?
It's a pity you're not enjoying your uni experience. It's supposed to be the best time.
I have no idea if it's a viable option, but perhaps worth a look?
Reply 85
Have you thought about transferring?
It's a pity you're not enjoying your uni experience. It's supposed to be the best time.
I have no idea if it's a viable option, but perhaps worth a look?

It's definitely not a viable option. Strathclyde don't accept direct transfers (lord knows I've tried) for my subject - Accountancy & Finance. Thanks for the suggestion though :wink:.
Reply 86

I wouldn't

I really don't understand why you're getting excited about going to Glasgow and slagging off students from Strathclyde.

You honestly believe a Glasgow degree is that superior to Strathclyde's at the moment? Or do you think you'll have a much better future prospect because you suddenly went to Glasgow?

Just can't believe that you're this pathetic at your age, seriously.
Reply 87
Living costs in Scotland aren't expensive.
Rent will depend on where you study, and what standard of accommodation you want.

It is a lovely country full of some of the nicest people you will ever meet, and unfortunately some knob ends such as "Torchwood".

I don't know much about business/economics/history so I can't really help you with that. I know Strathclyde has a very good business school.

You could study in a big city like Glasgow - new, happening, big, lively or Edinburgh - beautiful historic buildings, Edinburgh castle, the royal mile
Or you could study in a smaller town or the countryside. Scotland is pretty beautiful!

Also you can spend your holidays travelling around the rest of the UK!

Thank you very much :smile:
so are in scotland some unis were I should better not go? And shall I just try to apply and hope the best?
Original post by juleez
Thank you very much :smile:
so are in scotland some unis were I should better not go? And shall I just try to apply and hope the best?

Check out the universities websites and online prospectuses. See which ones do courses you're interested in. And see if you think you're likely to make the entrance requirements.
Also research locations, remember Scotland is very cold, so if you're not up for that, avoid the likes of Aberdeen and UHI.
I can't think of any university that I would personally tell you definitely not to go to.
It completely depends on what sort of uni experience you are looking for.
Good luck!
Reply 89
Thanks, yes i think I will write a email or call some UNIs because we have total diffrent grades and I just dont know if my grades are good enough or not. I would prefer to study somewhere where I can find cool and nice open people and not in the smallest town. I have read somewhere there is a diffrence between university and college but there can be a college in university can someone might explain that? And sorry if it sounds really stupid :wink:
Original post by juleez
Thanks, yes i think I will write a email or call some UNIs because we have total diffrent grades and I just dont know if my grades are good enough or not. I would prefer to study somewhere where I can find cool and nice open people and not in the smallest town. I have read somewhere there is a diffrence between university and college but there can be a college in university can someone might explain that? And sorry if it sounds really stupid :wink:

College is different from Uni. At University you get a degree.
At College you can study a broad range of things
you can do school level subjects (Scottish Highers)
or you can learn a trade like hairdressing or plumbing etc - what I'd say most people do at college.
you can also study similar courses to university ones but you won't get a degree, you will get a diploma or something similar.

(Hope I have described it well without offending anyone).

Some big unis have "Colleges" but they're completely different, I really can't explain them, they're kind of like houses (Like Griffindor/Slytherin in Harry Potter?) I really don't know,
But I don't think any Scottish Unis have them. So no need to worry.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 91
College is different from Uni. At University you get a degree.
At College you can study a broad range of things
you can do school level subjects (Scottish Highers)
or you can learn a trade like hairdressing or plumbing etc - what I'd say most people do at college.
you can also study similar courses to university ones but you won't get a degree, you will get a diploma or something similar.

(Hope I have described it well without offending anyone).

Some big unis have "Colleges" but they're completely different, I really can't explain them, they're kind of like houses (Like Griffindor/Slytherin in Harry Potter?) I really don't know,
But I don't think any Scottish Unis have them. So no need to worry.

:smile: okay that's what i ment :smile: i read tat people from eu and scotland dont have to pay tuiton fees ..but on the website of aberdeen uni i read that there are some fees to pay ? shall i might just call ucas and ask them about everything? can they help me?
All this arguing about Glasgow and Strathclyde :rolleyes:

I live in Glasgow and I'm going to study engineering in Edinburgh. I couldn't deal with all the cuts and ludicrousness that's happening with Glasgow and I don't really like the look of Strathclyde - seems to be a bit run down and dirty if you ask me. I know Strathclyde is good for engineering but I'm sacrificing all of the industry partnerships for something a bit more internationally recognised - it seems to me that Edinburgh is the more ambitious choice.

That's my story, OP, but I would say any university in Scotland is good bar UWS, the highlands and islands and maybe Glasgow Caledonian - they're all a bit rubbish. The best thing that you could do is maybe pay Scotland a visit and check them out for yourself. :smile:
Original post by juleez
Thanks for the quick replies
Well, I'm thinking about going to a Uni in Scotland because I always want to study in England or Australia but Australia is way too expansive and I found out that I dont have to pay for the Uni in Scotland when I'm from the EU.
I might want to study something like business or managment or economics or maybe history.
I will have probably middle good grades so they wont be the best but also not the lowest.
Can someone tell me what University is worth to try to apply.. I'm a little bit nervous that the Universities will reject me because of the grades or becaus I'm not from Scotland .. so where do I have good chances to study? And is it really o expensive in Scotland?

I would recommend Glasgow as it allows you to study 3 options the first two years so you could incorporate history into an business type degree.

I would also recommend Strathclyde as the business school at Strathy is excellent.

Also, Heriot-Watt's Economics department seriously punches above the universities weight. 4th in Britain.

And Edinburgh has a long and proud history of total excellence in economics. Second in Britain.

As a 5th choice I'd opt for Edinburgh Napier. Decent business department but easy to get in to the uni so just incase the other four all reject you. Plus it still has the city feel.
Original post by Electronica
All this arguing about Glasgow and Strathclyde :rolleyes:

I live in Glasgow and I'm going to study engineering in Edinburgh. I couldn't deal with all the cuts and ludicrousness that's happening with Glasgow and I don't really like the look of Strathclyde - seems to be a bit run down and dirty if you ask me. I know Strathclyde is good for engineering but I'm sacrificing all of the industry partnerships for something a bit more internationally recognised - it seems to me that Edinburgh is the more ambitious choice.

That's my story, OP, but I would say any university in Scotland is good bar UWS, the highlands and islands and maybe Glasgow Caledonian - they're all a bit rubbish. The best thing that you could do is maybe pay Scotland a visit and check them out for yourself. :smile:

You're the second person in this thread to say that and I really don't understand where it's coming from? I suppose Livi tower is a bit of a 70s monstrosity
but the Royal College is amazing! It's so old and pretty and I still keep finding new bits.
We've also got that new Biology building which is well fancy, and the business school.
TBH Glasgow Uni has it's fair share of crap buildings, just everyone pictures Glasgow Uni and in their head is that one main old one where the graduation ceremonies are.

I suppose if you're going to Edinburgh though, everything in Glasgow looks a mess haha.

What branch of Engineering are you studying?
Tbh in this climate, go to either Edinburgh or Strathclyde and you're pretty much guaranteed a job when you walk out, hooray for engineering!
Reply 95
Original post by *Hakz*
I really don't understand why you're getting excited about going to Glasgow and slagging off students from Strathclyde.

You honestly believe a Glasgow degree is that superior to Strathclyde's at the moment? Or do you think you'll have a much better future prospect because you suddenly went to Glasgow?

Just can't believe that you're this pathetic at your age, seriously.

I wasnt "slagging off" strathyclyde, i saw the post below and rightfully defended glasgow. Before you decide to comment on a thread try reading first :wink:

btw african isnt an orientation, you should correct your profile. :lol:

Original post by oo00oo
Glasgow excels over Strathclyde only in the subjects that Strathclyde doesn't offer - like the arts.

Strathclyde's Engineering, Science, Mathematics and Business school are all of greater repute than those at Glasgow.

And let's face it, these are the subjects that matter.
(edited 12 years ago)
Tbh in this climate, go to either Edinburgh or Strathclyde and you're pretty much guaranteed a job when you walk out, hooray for engineering!

:yep: My boyfriend's older brother just recently graduated from Electronic & Electrical Engineering at Strathclyde and it seems like he's having opportunities thrown at him! Loads of money, too :wink:
Original post by Vitamin D
:yep: My boyfriend's older brother just recently graduated from Electronic & Electrical Engineering at Strathclyde and it seems like he's having opportunities thrown at him! Loads of money, too :wink:

Awesome!
Somebody from my department now invents gadgets for MI6. Amazing!
I'm going to the Scholarship fair tomorrow, so hopefully somebody likes me.
You're the second person in this thread to say that and I really don't understand where it's coming from? I suppose Livi tower is a bit of a 70s monstrosity
but the Royal College is amazing! It's so old and pretty and I still keep finding new bits.
We've also got that new Biology building which is well fancy, and the business school.
TBH Glasgow Uni has it's fair share of crap buildings, just everyone pictures Glasgow Uni and in their head is that one main old one where the graduation ceremonies are.

I suppose if you're going to Edinburgh though, everything in Glasgow looks a mess haha.

What branch of Engineering are you studying?

Just walking up at one of the open days, up that long tiresome hill and into the buildings. I dunno, it looks to me like more of a highschool or college than a university - I would always have that feel when I'm going about the place. I've heard the maths buildings in Glasgow are crap but I've only ever ventured into the depths of the engineering realm :tongue:

I am planning to study electronics and electrical engineering at Edinburgh, from the tone of my last post you probably assumed I'm already there. I've got AAAAA and the offer is AAAA so I guess I just assume I'll get in - probably shouldn't though! :biggrin:
Reply 99
Original post by Vitamin D

How does this compare to dentistry at glasgow?

Quick Reply

Latest