The Student Room Group

universities in scotland

hey ppl

I'm thinking about studying in Scotland .Can someone give me some adives of the Universties. Which are good which are bad? Where is it worth to study? Thx

Scroll to see replies

Why are you thinking about studying in Scotland if you don't have any universities in mind?
Reply 2
Good ones include Glasgow, Edinburgh and St Andrews
Original post by torchwood
Good ones include Glasgow, Edinburgh and St Andrews

...and Aberdeen.
Reply 4
Original post by HarveyCanis
Very good: Edinburgh, Glasgow, St Andrews

Good: Aberdeen

Alright/good: Strathclyde, Stirling, Dundee, Robert Gordon

Meh: Edinburgh Napier, Abertay Dundee, Glasgow Caledonian, Queen Margaret.

Low: UWS, University of the Highlands and Islands.

I'd usually say it depends on what the OP wants to study but yeah this is pretty accurate as a whole (judging by entry requirements - but of course, these don't always reflect the standard of teaching). Dundee would be in the 'Good' category if it could get the damn School of Humanities into gear. Also, you missed out Heriot-Watt.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5

You've missed out Heriot Watt :colonhash:
Reply 6

This ranking is a bit pointless (because the OP hasn't stated what she wants to do in Scotland).

In terms of say for example molecular biology and genetics research - Dundee is alongside the best in the UK (and the world).
(edited 12 years ago)

This post is completely pointless if you don't know what OP wants to study.
Original post by juleez
hey ppl

I'm thinking about studying in Scotland .Can someone give me some adives of the Universties. Which are good which are bad? Where is it worth to study? Thx

What do you want to study?
I can recommend Strathclyde very highly for Engineering, Business and Education.
Original post by Tristano
This ranking is a bit pointless (because the OP hasn't stated what he wants to do in Scotland).

In terms of say for example molecular biology and genetics research - Dundee is alongside the best in the UK (and the world).

I know it is. It's not my fault OP failed to provide more info in his post. Therefore I simply provided a list of their general reputations.
Original post by Vitamin D
I'd usually say it depends on what the OP wants to study but yeah this is pretty accurate as a whole (judging by entry requirements - but of course, these don't always reflect the standard of teaching). Dundee would be in the 'Good' category if it could get the damn School of Humanities into gear. Also, you missed out Heriot-Watt.

Original post by davidmarsh01
You've missed out Heriot Watt :colonhash:

Sorry, thought I'd included it! Somewhat shocked at the negative attention my post has gained though.

I'm inclined to agree with you - but RGU is fantastic for vocational courses that require a degree; i.e. nursing/midwifery or business studies. Abertay Dundee's also head and shoulders above the rest when it comes to technology/computing - my Papa used to be in line to being a professor there; at the time (when it was still Tayside Institue of Technology) at least it was one of top insitutions in Britain, if not Europe. UHI isn't too bad either - it's just not your typical university, if you see what I mean - if you want the student experience of living in halls, joining societies etc, you won't get it from UHI.

OP, you might be better telling us what kind of course you're looking to do? :smile:

Reccomed Aberdeen/St Andrews/Edinburgh/Glasgow for anything and everything; Dundee for education; RGU for the nursing and business schools (plus Gray's School of Art); the rest if you are declined or looking for a specific location!
(edited 12 years ago)
Sorry, thought I'd included it! Somewhat shocked at the negative attention my post has gained though.

People are obviously very protective of their unis.
I hate when people think Strathclyde is crap, I actually turned Glasgow down to go to Strathclyde because it is much better for my course.
Original post by daisydaffodil
I'm inclined to agree with you - but RGU is fantastic for vocational courses that require a degree; i.e. nursing/midwifery or business studies. Abertay Dundee's also head and shoulders above the rest when it comes to technology/computing - my Papa used to be in line to being a professor there; at the time (when it was still Tayside Institue of Technology) at least it was one of top insitutions in Britain, if not Europe. UHI isn't too bad either - it's just not your typical university, if you see what I mean - if you want the student experience of living in halls, joining societies etc, you won't get it from UHI.

OP, you might be better telling us what kind of course you're looking to do? :smile:

It was absolutely not my intention to insult any of the universities. :smile:

I simply provided a list of all the universities based on the very scarce info that the OP provided. I'm completely aware that certain universities (such as Dundee and genetics) are amazing in their field. However the general "reputation" (which is taken far too seriously nowadays thanks to league tables) of the unis is something I believe my first post reflects.
Original post by oo00oo
Oh wow, GCU has been promoted!

I would disagree with your placement of Glasgow and Strathclyde. I'd switch them.

I just graduated from Glasgow and am doing a PhD at Strathclyde. It's far, far better by comparison. Glasgow has gone downhill by quite someway since big ears became principal.

I don't know a lot about Glasgow, but I know a fair few people who were accepted after missing their conditionals by quite a bit recently. It does make you wonder...

Original post by Popppppy
I hate when people think Strathclyde is crap, I actually turned Glasgow down to go to Strathclyde because it is much better for my course.

:yep: People were consoling me after I failed to meet my conditional for Aberdeen, but I soon realised it had worked out for the best. Aberdeen is ranked ~50 for Geography in the UK, Dundee is 12th :biggrin:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Popppppy

Original post by oo00oo
Oh wow, GCU has been promoted!

I would disagree with your placement of Glasgow and Strathclyde. I'd switch them.

I just graduated from Glasgow and am doing a PhD at Strathclyde. It's far, far better by comparison. Glasgow has gone downhill by quite someway since big ears became principal.

But then I'm in a proper subject - Engineering - where Strathclyde focusses it's attention. If you want to do some nonsense like theology, fine art, classics or English lit., then Glasgow is probably the place for you.

Personally, Strathclyde should be classed as a good university. The problem is that in general student discussions, it's not considered as prestigious as the old unis like Glasgow and Edinburgh, especially since it only gained university status in 1964. That, I feel, is a problem with the media and their message that new universities are almost "not allowed" to replace the classic universities. Again, I had no intention to offend with my first post and it was simply what I consider the general student view of those institutions.
Aberdeen is ranked ~50 for Geography in the UK, Dundee is 12th :biggrin:

I didn't realise people actually took league tables seriously. :lolwut:
Original post by RamocitoMorales
I didn't realise people actually took league tables seriously. :lolwut:

I know they have to be taken with a big pinch of salt, but you can't really deny that big of a difference. You have to ask why?
Which universities are good and bad depends entirely on what you want to study. Without that information then no-one can give you any worthwhile advice.
I know they have to be taken with a big pinch of salt, but you can't really deny that big of a difference. You have to ask why?

People that don't use TSR do take them seriously, I think. Probably because they (quite rightly) imagine that thick employers will take league tables seriously.

Quick Reply

Latest