The Student Room Group

Romantic Relationships, is sex a necessity?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Zoya Khan
Wow you can put people like you in the 'majority' so effortlessly, not knowing how many normal human beings like me exist too.

As I said, the majority of people see sex as a normal part of a romantic relationship.

It's not normal to have romantic relationships without a sexual element.

Ah, here lies our problem. You're an atheist and I'm a religious person.

Where did I ever state that I am an atheist? Just to correct you, although I don't like to put a specific label on my beliefs, I'm actually a deist. That means I believe in the existence of God, but I'm against the concept of religion. I see God and religion as 2 separate things. Religion is a MAN MADE concept, designed to control the masses by fear. God didn't create religion, man did. I do believe in a higher power, I just don't buy into the man-made concept of organised religion, that's all.

And since the higher power created sex, obviously it's there to be enjoyed. It's daft to think otherwise.

It's a matter of beliefs and you seem to believe that your beliefs are supposed to be the right way of living. It's all a matter of your opinion and what you think is right or not.

This subject of this post isn't merely a 'matter of opinion'. The subject in question is whether sex is required in a romantic relationship. The answer is yes, sex IS required as part of a 'romantic relationship'. That's not simply a 'matter of opinion', it's a FACT.

Sexual attraction plays a major part in romantic relationships but the way you feel is that sex that must be added to it.

No, I don't feel sex must be ADDED to a romantic relationship - I feel sex is a natural and normal part of a romantic relationship. It is an integral part of any healthy romantic relationship, not something that is merely 'added on'.

The truth is, there are many people like you and like me and none is wrong and deeming the other wrong is not a good thing either.

The crux of the matter is not who is right or wrong, but whether there is such thing as a romantic relationship without a sexual element. And I've said no, there is no such thing as romantic relationship without sex.

If they are sexually attracted they should be having sex- again, your opinion.

No, not merely 'my opinion'. I stand by what I said: why get into a relationship with someone you're sexually attracted to if you're not going to have sex? That's stupid. That's like a hungry person going into a restaurant but not eating the food. Pretty dumb! Better just to stay single or just be platonic friends if that's the case.

Couples should discuss their sexual needs before they start having sex. It's what I feel.

Yes, they should discuss their sexual needs BEFORE getting involved and if they are not compatible they shouldn't get into a monogamous relationship and they shouldn't get married.

You are not the only person who has these sort of opinions and neither am I. You can't put a label for having ' fears, hang-ups and distorted views' just because their opinions clash with yours.

The bottom line is: anyone who has a 'romantic relationship' with someone of the opposite sex without any sexual element at all either: 1) has massive hang-ups about sex, 2) has let religion colour their views about sex, 3) is secretly gay, 4) is asexual, or 5) is really young and naive.

I am not a car that can be used over and over again. I am a woman.

I never said anything about being 'used over and over again'. I think you misunderstood the car analogy there. What I said was, it's better to find out whether you are sexually compatible with someone BEFORE you get into a relationship or BEFORE you marry them. Just as you wouldn't buy a car without seeing if it met your needs first. What is so hard to understand about that?
(edited 12 years ago)
there is such a thing as a romantic relationship without sex, ive been in one for 10 years
Original post by Neil_K
It's just sex, that's all. A basic, normal, human need. It's not sordid or a sin; it's there to be enjoyed, and is a normal part of any non-platonic relationship.

I agree with this statement wholeheartedly.

I have experience of being in a sexless relationship for several years. I also have experience of a relationship involving sex. I much prefer the latter and personally couldn't imagine being in a sexless relationship at the moment.

Having said that, I think that some relationships can work without the sexual element. Religious abstention from sex baffles me, if I'm honest, although I'm sure those relationships work okay for some people who are in them.

I think the vast majority of people of this forum are fairly young ad probably fairly healthy, so they would have a particular point of view about the normality of sex in a relationship, but sometimes people in a previously sexual relationship can be prevented from continuing the sexual element due to e.g. age or health reasons. I don't think you can fairly say that a couple that have been married for 50 years and have always enjoyed a healthy sexual and romantic relationship suddenly "lose" all of that simply because they are unable to have sex any more.

Generally my instinct is that yes, sex is a necessity in a "normal" romantic relationship, but I do recognise that there are circumstances in which a sexless relationship can work well and should really still be deemed a "romantic" relationship even though sex is not involved
Yes. If I was in a relationship with a girl and there was no sex what so ever, I'd dump her and she would do the same to me. Unless I was waiting till marriage or something.
Original post by Neil_K
As I said, the majority of people see sex as a normal part of a romantic relationship.

It's not normal to have romantic relationships without a sexual element.

Where did I ever state that I am an atheist? Just to correct you, although I don't like to put a specific label on my beliefs, I'm actually a deist. That means I believe in the existence of God, but I'm against the concept of religion. I see God and religion as 2 separate things. Religion is a MAN MADE concept, designed to control the masses by fear. God didn't create religion, man did. I do believe in a higher power, I just don't buy into the man-made concept of organised religion, that's all.

And since the higher power created sex, obviously it's there to be enjoyed. It's daft to think otherwise.

This subject of this post isn't merely a 'matter of opinion'. The subject in question is whether sex is required in a romantic relationship. The answer is yes, sex IS required as part of a 'romantic relationship'. That's not simply a 'matter of opinion', it's a FACT.

No, I don't feel sex must be ADDED to a romantic relationship - I feel sex is a natural and normal part of a romantic relationship. It is an integral part of any healthy romantic relationship, not something that is merely 'added on'.

The crux of the matter is not who is right or wrong, but whether there is such thing as a romantic relationship without a sexual element. And I've said no, there is no such thing as romantic relationship without sex.

No, not merely 'my opinion'. I stand by what I said: why get into a relationship with someone you're sexually attracted to if you're not going to have sex? That's stupid. That's like a hungry person going into a restaurant but not eating the food. Pretty dumb! Better just to stay single or just be platonic friends if that's the case.

Yes, they should discuss their sexual needs BEFORE getting involved and if they are not compatible they shouldn't get into a monogamous relationship and they shouldn't get married.

The bottom line is: anyone who has a 'romantic relationship' with someone of the opposite sex without any sexual element at all either: 1) has massive hang-ups about sex, 2) has let religion colour their views about sex, 3) is secretly gay, 4) is asexual, or 5) is really young and naive.

I never said anything about being 'used over and over again'. I think you misunderstood the car analogy there. What I said was, it's better to find out whether you are sexually compatible with someone BEFORE you get into a relationship or BEFORE you marry them. Just as you wouldn't buy a car without seeing if it met your needs first. What is so hard to understand about that?

It is a matter of opinion, or so many people all over the world wouldn't have enjoyed the thrill of romance without sex. I never said sexual attraction is not part of romance or that it doesn't lead to sex in the end. I just say that it's possible to have a romantic relationship without having sex and it does happen. Fact.

Your concept is also based on your belief that religions are man-made.
Of course sex is meant to be enjoyed but it's not necessary that two people must have sex because they are romantically involved. You feel sex is part of a normal romantic relationship and others feel differently. It doesn't change the entire meaning of a romantic relationship two people have.
You have said that there isn't any romantic relationship without sex but it doesn't change what happens in many romantic relationships.
There are some people who get romantically involved for many reasons including sex, which, may of course come along in the future. Sometimes, the other things we find in a person are too valuable to let go just for sex. So sex is not the only thing they consider, unlike you as it seems so.
Sexual element and just jumping to wanting to have sex with the person you see are two different things.
I believe that if I decide to spend the rest of my life with a person, I'll adjust to his sexual needs not matter what and I'd want to share the experience with no one else. I'm happy with that and I'll find my kind of person. Or, if I'm unsure, I could discuss the matter before we get to having sex. Nothing very out of ordinary in it, as you're making it look like.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending