The Student Room Group

A2 Resits?

Halloo!

I am currently in year 13 and am getting ready to send my UCAS form off to the four universities I have chosen for medicine. I haven't put down a fith choice (aka insurance choice) yet, and am wondering if I should do or not. My dad seems to be very keen on putting down a fifth choice as he has taken a pessimistic attitude and is going on about not getting the 3 As at A-level, although I am currently on track..

If this did happen, I would probs take a gap year, resit year 13 to get the 3 As and then reapply, but does anyone know any med schools who accept resits? I know that most places like HYMS want the 3 As from the first sitting of your tests. I guess he's got a point..

Thanks,

Chris
Reply 1
in short:

if you don't get the three A's, you'll never become a doctor.

no, medical schools do not accept resits especially in this circumstance where you narrowly missed the offer.
Reply 2
Original post by Ilyas
in short:

if you don't get the three A's, you'll never become a doctor.

no, medical schools do not accept resits especially in this circumstance where you narrowly missed the offer.

That's nonsense. There are many routes into Medicine, getting 3 A's at A level being only one of them. Some do accept resits, and they would be even more inclined to allow someone to resit if they have 'narrowly missed their offer'.

I would put down a fifth choice. You need to meet a grade requirement to resit so if you don't have the grades to resit then your alternative is to do the fifth choice. You aren't obliged to go to the uni if you accept their offer and get the grades either, so the fifth choice is just keeping your options open.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by ChrisJ
Halloo!

I am currently in year 13 and am getting ready to send my UCAS form off to the four universities I have chosen for medicine. I haven't put down a fith choice (aka insurance choice) yet, and am wondering if I should do or not. My dad seems to be very keen on putting down a fifth choice as he has taken a pessimistic attitude and is going on about not getting the 3 As at A-level, although I am currently on track..

If this did happen, I would probs take a gap year, resit year 13 to get the 3 As and then reapply, but does anyone know any med schools who accept resits? I know that most places like HYMS want the 3 As from the first sitting of your tests. I guess he's got a point..

Thanks,

Chris

If you resit your A2 year, there will be very few medical schools you can apply to. In addition to that, some of those that you will be able to apply to, won't look too favourably as they will also have other applicants who've done their A levels within 2 years, not 3.

However, you can get a BSc and then go for the 4 year fast track GEM course, but the competition for those courses is fierce and intense, although they probably won't look at your A level grades - would probably ask for minimum BBB I'd say (unless you apply to Oxbridge, Imperial, UCL - those sorts of universities)

Overall, try to get as best results as you can this year :smile:

Best of luck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending