The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
I don't think the question makes any sense. What are the criteria? I guess Cambridge is more prestigious with its longer history and incredible alumnae, but to be honest it depends on your subject and your personality, doesn't it?
Reply 61
After having experienced attending universities in the US and UK, I'd say I prefer the British education system for undergraduate level (as it is more focused and very intensive), and the US style for graduate and postgraduate education. Therefore, I'd choose to attend Cambridge for undergraduate and Harvard for my master's or PhD's. Cambridge's tutorial and collegiate system is also hard to beat.
Reply 62
Original post by PendulumBoB
Harvard.

Can I just say that maybe you would go to Harvard for law. Maybe you would go to Oxford for English literature. But for science (which is the future) Cambridge is untouchable. Cambridge has produced some of the most successful scientists of all time, such as William Harvey, Charles Darwin, Issac Newton, Stephen Hawking and many others.
Also the Architecture in Cambridge is amazing, its such an old city, the renaissance colleges like kings and Johns are the most beautiful in my opinion. I have traveled around the world and I can honestly say that Cambridge is the most beautiful city I have ever been too, it has a really diverse culture and an amazing atmosphere!
There is also a great nightlife for students and loads to do.
It depends on what you want to study but I wouldn't hold a degree from Harvard in as much prestige as I would hold a degree from Cambridge or Oxford. Harvard just doesn't do it for me but its your choice...
Reply 63
Definely Cambridge.
Original post by shirley0y
Which would you choose? Why?

As great as Harvard is, I just don't think I could resist the glamour of Cambridge ;p
But then I'd be terribly torn if I were to make that choice...

Harvard, its definitely the preeminent university of our time. But the main reason is that I feel like Harvard students are more enterpreneurial than Cambridge. Cambridge is just a bit stuffy and too traditional. Also the liberal arts education is nice.
I think, when you find yourself debating between the better institution of the two global leaders of education, you've ran out of topics to discuss.

Posted from TSR Mobile
There are a ton of people (including myself and my fiancee) who have attended both. We know a lot of people in Cambridge who were either Harvard-bound or had gone there for UG or a master's. Both are great (different, of course, but equally great). Splitting hairs really.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Okorange
Harvard, its definitely the preeminent university of our time. But the main reason is that I feel like Harvard students are more enterpreneurial than Cambridge. Cambridge is just a bit stuffy and too traditional. Also the liberal arts education is nice.

You've been watching too much Suits
On the whole I would expect the average Cambridge undergraduate to be stronger at their subject than the average Harvard undergraduate in their major after they've both finished their degree.

But I do think Harvard and US universities in general are mostly a cut above for research quality and output - and this is in no small part due to the masses of talent it imports from the UK, China, India, Russia and so on at postgraduate level.
Reply 69
Sheffield hallam
If I didn't live in the UK or the US, I would rather go to Harvard.

As a UK applicant though I would rather go to Cambridge. I don't like the 'liberal arts' education system in America because I'd rather just focus on a single thing, and you can't do the subject I want to do (Law) as an undergraduate course in America anyway, so I'd have to spend 4 years doing things I didn't want to do.
Reply 71
Cambridge UK RRRRRRUUUUUUULLLLLLLEEEEEEESSSSSSS
Kind of revived an old thread here.

But after 5-6 years from my original post, safe to say: Go to either, both are great. honestly a person is much more than their university, if you are defined by only that then you are in need of help.
What on Bob's uncle is this thread. Ill have you know Imperial College London is far superior to Harvard for most academic courses such as the very tough and prestigious drama and performance course!
Original post by shirley0y
Which would you choose? Why?

As great as Harvard is, I just don't think I could resist the glamour of Cambridge ;p
But then I'd be terribly torn if I were to make that choice...

Well, if you're going to go by worldwide league tables, aren't Harvard and Oxford both more prestigious than Cambridge? It all depends on what you want to study of course...
Didn't John Harvard go to Cambridge before he started Harvard?

Latest

Trending

Trending