The Student Room Group

Disgraceful Britain - On a Downward Slope

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
This is the Dionysian spirit. Drunken revelry, sex and violence are all apettites for life. The antithesis of the Dionysian is the Apollonian spirit which is inwardly reflective, solicitude, and withdrawn. These are extremes, but we all fall somewhere on the scale. You have to accept that wherever you fall on the scale, it is a condition of life. What you are seeing are extremes. The extreme Dionysian might think that the Apollonian is disgusting because all the things that make for living are merriment and mocking. In contrast, the Apollian can reject these and thereby cut him/herself off from vitality. On the other hand, the Dionysian can reject the Apollonian and its inward reflectiveness and sobriety. The Dionysian might think that the Apollonian is boring and square, whilst the Apollonian might think that the Dionysian lacks reflection and composure. Danger and safety are both conditions of life.
Reply 21
oh give up
Original post by Aj12
Google Beer street and gin lane. Britain has apparently been on a moral drinking decline for the past 300 years.

Exactly. That photo looks exactly like a Hogarth cartoon.
Original post by Martyn*
This is the Dionysian spirit. Drunken revelry, sex and violence are all apettites for life. The antithesis of the Dionysian is the Apollonian spirit which is inwardly reflective, solicitude, and withdrawn. These are extremes, but we all fall somewhere on the scale. You have to accept that wherever you fall on the scale, it is a condition of life. What you are seeing are extremes. The extreme Dionysian might think that the Apollonian is disgusting because all the things that make for living are merriment and mocking. In contrast, the Apollian can reject these and thereby cut him/herself off from vitality. On the other hand, the Dionysian can reject the Apollonian and its inward reflectiveness and sobriety. The Dionysian might think that the Apollonian is boring and square, whilst the Apollonian might think that the Dionysian lacks reflection and composure. Danger and safety are both conditions of life.

Original post by duke5
It is disgusting.

The universal withdrawal of law and order, standards, family life, values and compassion.

We live in worrying times. These 'liberated' women are a disgrace to their sisters in Europe and the rest of the well-behaved free world.

Completely agree with you, it really is a shame isn't it. There are only a very small minority who seem to care about this problem, others either follow the herd mentality or rather care about legalizing gay marriage which should not be done in the first place.

Original post by March
Meh.

Is that all you can say about this important problem? Or is increasing your post count the only thing you have to do all day?

Original post by kidoo
'British' and 'drinking responsibly' do not go together, it you put them in the same sentence it would be an oxymoron.

True unfortunately. There are a good minority of British people that drink responsibly without ending up in ER wards, but that seems to be declining once again. Problem won't be solved as long as the government continues to not care.

Original post by Organ
I bet nobody invites you to parties.

And lol Mr. American - go check something important like homicide rates or the numbers of people denied healthcare and then compare the USA and the UK.

So your definition of parties is ending up like those drunk fools? Yes, I don't get invited to those sorts of junk parties admittedly. I go to decent parties.

Mr American? I have lived in the UK for the most part of my life, and what would you know anything about crime rates in the USA? You don't seem to be making any point here.

Original post by silverbolt
Oh good another daily fail article yawn

Japan? Really? thats what your going with? a country reknowned for its superiority complex, massive penis envy, school girl fetishs and an underbelly that can only be described as hedonistic.

And nurses and teachers arent intelligent, they just got these responsible and difficult jobs from where? A prize from a cracker maybe?

These women (of course the men are fine) why ever did we give them the vote, adn let them drive and this equal wage nonscence. Get them back to kitchen cooking my tea and warming my slipper. Honestly some idiots on this site.

Might not be your favourite newspaper, but it is obviously the truth in this particular circumstance.

Japan - massive penis envy? Wow, you seem really mature. You obviously haven't been to Japan either, so I am going to end this conversation with you based on the two previous points I stated.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Sgt.Incontro
X

You quoted me why?
Reply 26
Is that all you can say about this important problem? Or is increasing your post count the only thing you have to do all day?

What problem?
Original post by March
What problem?

Oh come on, don't waste my time... What is this thread about sport? :rolleyes:
Original post by silverbolt
You quoted me why?

Computer hung, finished quoting you.
Reply 29
Original post by Planar
It was obviously deliberate you idiot

Not obvious enough I'm afraid.

Might not be your favourite newspaper, but it is obviously the truth in this particular circumstance.

Japan - massive penis envy? Wow, you seem really mature. You obviously haven't been to Japan either, so I am going to end this conversation with you based on the two previous points I stated.

Obviously the truth from that hyperbole rag? Yah right. Granted there are some elements there but its hardly a wideswept every night every town and city all over the country.

And i take you know were I've been do you? Or what I know? And i also take it you are an expert on the Japanese society as well?

Of course.
What is disgusting, is that the OP seems to think it's only women who binge drink.
Reply 32
OP why should you care so much about what other people choose to do? Your clearly one of these ignorant people that looks down on others that don't follow the same moral code as yourself (same for your gay marriage comments as well).

There is a big drinking culture in the UK. People enjoy getting drunk at night as its a great laugh and allows people to let themselves go. Fortunatly we are lucky enough to live in a country that allows us to choose whether we get drunk or not.

The last thing we need is the government to take our freedom to have a good night away.
we only go mental on the booze because we don't have any other drug easily availlable. Legalize other stuff and see the interest in alcohol drop.
Reply 34
'I kiss random men in the street and Hannah has had sex behind a chicken coop.'

Sounds like they're game, whats their numbers? I would, judging by the photos.

This is exactly what I love about British women, always up for a laugh and some banter.

:smug:
Reply 35
Where were these girls during my freshers?
I would wife hannah for life
Reply 37
Why do intelligent young women who are nurses, teachers and mothers drink themselves to oblivion every night across Britain?

Anyone who constantly drinks themselves into oblivion cannot be described as intelligent. In fact they are quite the reverse. British women simply disgust me these days, take a trip to Japan, and you will see everyone socially drinking without getting into fights, pissing on the street, having sex every 2 minutes etc.

This whole attitude on "Let's get pissed" is rubbish and needs to stop. Funny thing this article shows is that professionals such as teachers, nurses etc are also taking part. This comes to show that these people don't have any intelligence either.

Simply disgusting.

I have said this numerous times but I will have to say it again to remind you.

Whilst this behaviour may seem strange to us - you must understand that this is an integral part of their Western culture. Drinking alcohol and dancing is an important part of stress relief for them. It is not our place to judge these people in their native land. It is just one of the peculiarities of their ancient culture - especially given that they are northern Europeans they have suffered from poor water hygiene and cold weather in the past, such that these kinds of entertainments were needed to help them procreate on cold winder evenings.
Gather up all the louts vomiting and littering, hold them in a cell until daybreak when the rest of the crowds have dispersed, and then send them through the streets in fetters to clean up the mess.
Reply 39
British women simply disgust me these days, take a trip to Japan, and you will see everyone socially drinking without getting into fights, pissing on the street, having sex every 2 minutes etc.

This whole attitude on "Let's get pissed" is rubbish and needs to stop. Funny thing this article shows is that professionals such as teachers, nurses etc are also taking part. This comes to show that these people don't have any intelligence either.

Simply disgusting.

Fighting? Shagging? Pissing? These atrocities never happened in the good old days. Probably.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending