The Student Room Group

Baltic Partnership

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by frankayak

Motion from the Latvian Representative to the Baltic Partnership

I beg to move that the Baltic Partnership approve a statement regarding the BBC documentary on racism in the football leagues in Poland and Ukraine. Latvia like many other countries viewed the documentary with disgust and horror to see the extent of violent racism in some football clubs in Ukraine and Poland. Latvia draws particular notice to the anti-Semitic chants and attacks on non-Caucasian fans of Ukrainian and Polish teams. The Baltic Partnership together unites in opposition to the racism seen at many football matches in Poland and affirms the values of understanding, tolerance and brotherhood. The Baltic Partnership pushes Poland and Ukraine to take more aggressive action at clamping down on racism in football. I commend this statement to the Partnership and to the wider MUN community.

While not a member of the BP the Czech Republic feels a need to comment on this motion. We believe that Poland has already done and is doing everything it can to prevent racism; we do not believe a motion calling for Poland to take further action is needed. Furthermore, we believe that the documentary significantly overstated the extent of racism in Poland; we must of course point out that Latvia is no stranger to racism itself.
Reply 181
Of course Latvia has problems with racism as does the Czech Republic. With the help of the European Commission Latvia is taking necessary steps to oust racism with heavier punishments being cited in our constitution. Similar measures exist in Poland but the documentary did highlight the extent of racism surrounding football in Poland and Ukraine with little police response. A racially motivated attack in Ukraine was dealt with poorly. Latvia calls on the organisers to rigorously pursue a zero tolerance on racism and would like to see 'ultras' banned from all games.
Poland would like to comment on the BBC documentary regarding racism in Poland and Ukraine. Whilst Poland understands that racism does exist in our country, we feel that the documentary portrayed the problem unfairly. Poland would like to make clear that it does in no way condone racism or discrimination in any form. In recent years, Poland has make progress in attempting to banish racism from Polish society with new legislation.

[OOC: Sorry for not responding earlier. I have been really busy with exams lately]
Tunisia would like to inform the Baltic Partnership that in 3 days the Arab League will have a president (provided R.O.N.) doesn't win, and that if the Baltic Partnership still seeks a link with the Arab League, it should direct inquiries to said president once elected. :smile:
Reply 184
I would assume that the Baltic Partnership would retain the Arab League link until the President elect of the Arab League terminates the link. Up to him/her, not us.
Reply 185
Sweeden would like to propose the abolition of EU fees for countries and instead calls for the implementation of a 10% land value tax in all nation, the proceeds of which would go to the European parliament.
Reply 186
Original post by Rakas21
Sweeden would like to propose the abolition of EU fees for countries and instead calls for the implementation of a 10% land value tax in all nation, the proceeds of which would go to the European parliament.

The Czech Republic is curious as to roughly how much money this would raise?
Original post by Rakas21

The MHoC does not support any form of EU taxation.
Reply 188
Original post by stanlas
The Czech Republic is curious as to roughly how much money this would raise?

From the UK land value tax (TSR) we know that 40% yields £600bn so 10% is £150bn, now taking into account that the UK economy makes up about 20% of the EU then assuming land value to be proportionate then such a tax would raise about £750bn.

This would replace EU fees as well which are currently £13bn for the UK so again assuming proportionality EU members pay somewhere about the £65bn mark giving an increase for the EU of a little under £700bn which would rise or fall with average EU tax yields.

Truly EU bonds and tax revenues of £700bn would make the EU the place to invest provided the money was spent in reasonable areas (infrastructure).

Sweeden wishes the Baltic Partnership to agree to this.
Reply 189
Latvia is willing to consider the approach but would lobby for a cost and benefit analysis before this on the member state.
Reply 190
I beg to move that the Baltic Partnership adopt the following:

The free and democratic nations of the Baltic Partnership support the notion of self determination for all peoples and their ability to live freely under their own jurisdictional or any such they choose explicitly. The Partnership resents the fact that Argentina persistently ignores this in relation to the Falkland Islands. The Baltic Partnership urges Argentina to accept the results of the anticipated referendum on the future of the Falkland Islands.

Furthermore:

The Baltic Partnership urge the Security Council of the UN to adopt more ambitious measures to end the violence in Syria. We believe that the only solution to this is an immediate ceasefire and a regime change sought out by democratic means.

I would like to ask the Secretariat what progress has been made on a guidance document for the BP. I would be grateful if the President of the Baltic Partnership makes a statement on the progress of the Presidency.

Furthermore:

I would like to ask the Secretariat what progress has been made on a guidance document for the BP. I would be grateful if the President of the Baltic Partnership makes a statement on the progress of the Presidency.

The MHoC wholeheartedly backs these motions. We believe that they are the right solutions for the current situations. We urge all other states to support them.

Furthermore:

as an observer member of the Partnership, Tunisia also backs these motions.
Reply 193
Latvia welcomes the support from two of the most active members or overseas partners. Latvia also is of the position that recent inactivity in the bloc has been due to the creation of the EU. Latvia urges all BP members to remain true after all, we were first!
Latvia welcomes the support from two of the most active members or overseas partners. Latvia also is of the position that recent inactivity in the bloc has been due to the creation of the EU. Latvia urges all BP members to remain true after all, we were first!

The MHoC does not believe that encouraging some form of rivalry between the two blocs is a positive move. We wonder whether the BP could perhaps move into the EU a little more while retaining its own identity. We were wondering whether the BP could become a Northern grouping within the EU and have summits/ conferences of their own in the style of the Commonwealth every month or so.
Reply 195
Sweeden believes that the Baltic Partnership should continue to exist as is with more nation states taking part.

Sweeden wishes to know if the Baltic Partnership would back a cross-EU language policy in which in addition to the 'home' language, all European nations must learn both English and Spanish as dominant global languages (French and Portuguese would also be acceptable).
Reply 196
This was founded at the Baltic Partnership and I would rather dismantle it than have it folded into the European Union. We are a unique voice for Northern nations and any such move to make us subsidiary to a rather complex EU would be a backwards step. This is a place for discussion and for debate that complements the MUN not the EU.

If this is to be folded into the EU I would likely resign the Latvian Rep. Don't shortchange the Nordics and Baltics.

In response to Sweden's question about 'cross EU language policy' I would disagree and say that such a policy to do with curriculum belongs in the realm of indvidual member states. Note the absence of German which is a key European language. Latvia will not support blanket measures such as the ones Sweden suggests.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Rakas21
Sweeden believes that the Baltic Partnership should continue to exist as is with more nation states taking part.

Sweeden wishes to know if the Baltic Partnership would back a cross-EU language policy in which in addition to the 'home' language, all European nations must learn both English and Spanish as dominant global languages (French and Portuguese would also be acceptable).

The MHoC notes that if you expand the membership, then this bloc will take in more EU/ European countries into its fold and that means that it becomes an EU within an EU. We believe that the incorporation of this bloc into the EU while retaining the identity of the BP through monthly summits would be a good move forward.

OOC: Are you seconding my deputy Secretariat amendment?

This was founded at the Baltic Partnership and I would rather dismantle it than have it folded into the European Union. We are a unique voice for Northern nations and any such move to make us subsidiary to a rather complex EU would be a backwards step. This is a place for discussion and for debate that complements the MUN not the EU.

If this is to be folded into the EU I would likely resign the Latvian Rep. Don't shortchange the Nordics and Baltics.

The MHoC believes that it wouldn't shortchange the Nordics and Baltics, but incorporate their voices into a diverse bloc. It would be a positive move which would bolster the bloc considerably. With the Secretariat of both blocs being the same, a move towards merging is not completely unthinkable.
Reply 198
OOC: Already seconded it.
Original post by Rakas21
OOC: Already seconded it.

OOC: Thank. I'll send the other one to vote and introduce this new one.

Quick Reply

Latest