The Student Room Group

Baltic Partnership

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
The Baltic Partnership is independent of the EU- defend this

'An EU within an EU'

The above quote seems simple but in other words is a complication of role and a confusion of competences. The Baltic Partnership was founded by myself and other nations with the sole aim of creating a stronger voice in the MUN for Baltic sea states and not for wider European members which have no belonging in the Baltic Partnership. Nevertheless we have formed close and strategic relationships with other states such as Japan, Tunisia, the Arab League and the United Kingdom amongst others. Following the idea of the BP the EU was born. Latvia views the progress of the EU with pleasure but is wary of the huge amount of proposals aimed purely for the EU being pushed through without concerted discussion about global problems and the EU collectively not come up with a single resolution for the MUN or single position on a particular issue.

The Baltic Partnership has remained a forum for Baltic Sea States to discuss world affairs and come up with common ground. We don't need treaties for this. It's called common sense and that's what I want to keep going. Merging the BP into the EU in my opinion would water down the hard work of the BP and dilute our unique Nordic and Baltic voice.

It was a mistake to allow the Secretariat of the BP to become that of the EU. We are as we stand separate entities and we should remain thus. I also blame the failure of the current BP Presidency on the confusion resulting in our almost seamless cooperation with the EU and its structures. Latvia in this spirit calls a vote and open debate on our future from core members.

Latvia is of the position that the Baltic Partnership remain independent forum working with the EU not under it. Members are free to share both EU and BP membership. BP shall have a single voice in the MUN and that shall be the 'Presidency nation' which rotates monthly. The BP will have a Secretariat to oversee the debates and votes of the BP and will be elected by members. The Secretariat and Presidency nation may not hold any EU role during their office.

I will resign Latvia's Rep if we see our local Baltic voice swallowed by the EU.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by frankayak
The Baltic Partnership is independent of the EU- defend this

The above quote seems simple but in other words is a complication of role and a confusion of competences. The Baltic Partnership was founded by myself and other nations with the sole aim of creating a stronger voice in the MUN for Baltic sea states and not for wider European members which have no belonging in the Baltic Partnership. Nevertheless we have formed close and strategic relationships with other states such as Japan, Tunisia, the Arab League and the United Kingdom amongst others. Following the idea of the BP the EU was born. Latvia views the progress of the EU with pleasure but is wary of the huge amount of proposals aimed purely for the EU being pushed through without concerted discussion about global problems and the EU collectively not come up with a single resolution for the MUN or single position on a particular issue.

The Baltic Partnership has remained a forum for Baltic Sea States to discuss world affairs and come up with common ground. We don't need treaties for this. It's called common sense and that's what I want to keep going. Merging the BP into the EU in my opinion would water down the hard work of the BP and dilute our unique Nordic and Baltic voice.

It was a mistake to allow the Secretariat of the BP to become that of the EU. We are as we stand separate entities and we should remain thus. I also blame the failure of the current BP Presidency on the confusion resulting in our almost seamless cooperation with the EU and its structures. Latvia in this spirit calls a vote and open debate on our future from core members.

I will resign Latvia's Rep if we see our local Baltic voice swallowed by the EU.

The MHoC thanks the Latvian rep for their passionate defence and definition of the work of the BP. On reflection we see that a move towards further integration is perhaps a step too far. We wonder whether a Secretariat from the member states would work better than the EU representative in order to give the BP a much stronger sense of uniqueness and identity.
Tunisia would once again offer to take up the role temporarily if activity becomes too low, but feels that as the new president nation of the Arab League it would be an innapropriate choice for the same reasons given above.
Reply 203
The leadership of EU and BP should be separate I think we can agree on.
The leadership of EU and BP should be separate I think we can agree on.

As Acting Secretariat of the EU Bloc, I move that the EU Secretariat resign the Secretariat of the BP and that an election be immediately called for a new Secretariat.

Morgsie

QFA

OOC: Are you ok with this?
Reply 205
I second this proposal. Provided I get a secondment I will begin procedures for a BP Secretariat election.
I second this proposal. Provided I get a secondment I will begin procedures for a BP Secretariat election.

OOC: You will need to speak to Morgsie really as I'm only the Acting Secretariat. Technically speaking I've not made that proposal yet in my guise as EU rep because I am talking to Morgsie about it first. I honestly think that it's great what you've done, but I think that you've got two choices really which are merge or form your own unique identity. Separating the two blocs just a little while retaining links through the observers should do this.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 207
OOC: I have treated both the BP and the EU seperately. But a connection/ link is me holding both Secretariat Positions. The BP can refer matters to the EU if nit wants to. I have always said this though IRL The EU has something similar called Northern Dimension.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 208
I am in favour of a uniquely independent BP but if the BP thinks it necessary may refer for discussion a matter if feels important for the 27 member states to consider.

OOC: Seems like I'm the only one active. I would be willing to see this fold if we cannot stimulate enough activity to make it worthwhile but really I don't want to see my brainchild die!
I am in favour of a uniquely independent BP but if the BP thinks it necessary may refer for discussion a matter if feels important for the 27 member states to consider.

OOC: Seems like I'm the only one active. I would be willing to see this fold if we cannot stimulate enough activity to make it worthwhile but really I don't want to see my brainchild die!

OOC: That's why I'm suggesting the merger while retaining your identity. You would be able to hold summits and we could perhaps work on the details, but would retain your identity as the BP of the EU or potentially the Northern League.
Reply 210
Have you misquoted me somewhere? This would be something that would require a vote of the Partnership. I call a vote to take place next week with over 50% in favour of dissolution needed the end the BP as it stands.

OOC: Seems I am a lone voice. I will give up my stance if no other 'core' members join the debate.
Have you misquoted me somewhere? This would be something that would require a vote of the Partnership. I call a vote to take place next week with over 50% in favour of dissolution needed the end the BP as it stands.

OOC: Seems I am a lone voice. I will give up my stance if no other 'core' members join the debate.

I second this motion on the vote however I would prefer it to perhaps have three options: continuation, dissolution, but also incorporation along the lines that I suggested.

OOC- You've got my support, but we're only observers so wouldn't be able to vote.
Reply 213
OOC: I seems we lack core member interest in the BP so if we don't get any renewed voices willing to keep the BP active and running over the the next week I will second proposals for a merger with continued 'Northern Dimension identity'.
OOC: I seems we lack core member interest in the BP so if we don't get any renewed voices willing to keep the BP active and running over the the next week I will second proposals for a merger with continued 'Northern Dimension identity'.

OOC: I would say that is a wise move. If that happens, prior to it happening, I'll look into ways that you can run that part of the EU so that it can retain its identity.
Reply 215
I have no legislative power. If the 'elected' Secretariat puts forward a motion on this after 1 week where hopefully we might get a broader balance of core members then I will vote for dissolution and start up of distinct Northern Dimension.
I have no legislative power. If the 'elected' Secretariat puts forward a motion on this after 1 week where hopefully we might get a broader balance of core members then I will vote for dissolution and start up of distinct Northern Dimension.

A week has passed. What now?
Reply 217
Fold it
Fold it

:frown:
Original post by Moleman1996
:frown:

Fold it

I'll make an amendment to preserve this within the EU Bloc and that should ensure that this lives on in some form.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending