The Student Room Group

Baltic Partnership

Scroll to see replies

Original post by tehFrance
QFA

Has the Republic of Finland made any progress on this?
Reply 41
I welcome the progress and work taken by Finland and look forward to the publication of its resolution. Latvia expresses huge concern that Britain is attempting to refashion its relationship with the EU which will surely result in major treaty changes and would once again drive Europe away from its main goal of boosting economic growth.
Is this not official already?
Reply 43
I believe that Finland are going to be making a proposal shortly about making the Partnership official. I had already been clear that I thought that it had already been established however we require a resolution to do this. We are not blessed with the activity of the Arab League and I urge Finland to quickly release the resolution for a vote.

I also urge those other members who have contributed little to re-engage in the issues prompted. I proposed a discussion on Britain's foreign policy movements... please engage!
Well I suggested it be made official by resolution but I suppose it doesn't have to be.
If the representative for Finland would like this to be the official thread I can pin this thread and make necessary editing if you want anything added to the OP.

Original post by tehFrance
QFA
Reply 45
I would strongly welcome this however we would need the primary support from the Chairman. Thank you!
Original post by thunder_chunky
Well I suggested it be made official by resolution but I suppose it doesn't have to be.
If the representative for Finland would like this to be the official thread I can pin this thread and make necessary editing if you want anything added to the OP.
Original post by frankayak
I would strongly welcome this however we would need the primary support from the Chairman. Thank you!

Finland supports this move.
Reply 47
Would the Finnish Representative like to restart a topic of debate and call all members to the chamber... :smile:
Would the Finnish Representative like to restart a topic of debate and call all members to the chamber... :smile:

[ooc] Now this has been stickied you could just do it here. [/ooc]
Reply 49
Update from the Baltic Partnership

Here is a quick update from the Secretariat of the Partnership. As creator of the Partnership Latvia will continue to oversee the workings of the Partnership and will intervene during times of inactivity. Finland is well into its Presidency, little progress has been made as yet but hopefully we can push for more going into the Presidency of Poland.

Poland will hold the Presidency of the Baltic Partnership from the 1st December and Latvia looks to Poland to propose the first major resolution of the bloc. Of course Latvia and other members will assist in such a move.

Baltic Partnership and The Arab League
Opportunity in diversity....

The Secretariat would like to welcome the Official recognition of the Partnership and would also like to welcome our brothers and sisters in the Arab League who have recently been accepted along with us. We hope to create a truly collegiate approach to the problems facing our collective blocs. Latvia early on established a link between the blocs and Latvia hopes to continue a dialogue with the League on areas we can have the greatest collective say!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Latvia is concerned with the current measures the Russian Government is taking against the homosexual community in the Russian Federation. What we need to secure now is a pledge from Russia that it will honour the rights of its homosexual community.

Baltic Partnership and The Arab League
Opportunity in diversity....

The Secretariat would like to welcome the Official recognition of the Partnership and would also like to welcome our brothers and sisters in the Arab League who have recently been accepted along with us. We hope to create a truly collegiate approach to the problems facing our collective blocs. Latvia early on established a link between the blocs and Latvia hopes to continue a dialogue with the League on areas we can have the greatest collective say!

Libya is sure it speaks on behalf of the Council and members of the Arab League by welcoming the recognition of the Baltic Partnership. We aim to work closely with blocs who share our views on issues in order to have a greater influence in GA decision making, and feel that good relations with our friends in the Baltic region can help us achieve this.
Polish Presidency: December 2011

The Republic of Poland is honoured to serve as President of the MUN Baltic Partnership for December 2011. I would like to thank my predecessors, Latvia and Finland, for successfully establishing the Partnership. The Partnership has now been active for two months and I feel it is the time for some real progress to be made.

During my presidency I plan to submit a resolution to the General Assembly with a united stance from our Partnership. I plan to hold a discussion period of five days, during which the members can suggest ideas for a resolution. Ideas can be submitted either in this thread or, if you prefer, in a PM. After the discussion period, I will draft a resolution based on a consensus of the members. Before submitting it to the SG, I intend to post my draft in this thread to allow members to comment and for any changes to be made.

To start off the discussion, I thought we could submit a resolution either regarding the Eurozone crisis or condemning Russia's treatment of homosexuals. If you have any other ideas, please feel free to post away!
Reply 52

Secretariat welcomes Poland's Presidency...

Latvia and the Secretariat are very pleased to welcome Poland to the Presidency. I fully support its aims and willingness to remain active and decisive in its leadership. I am thankful to our invitee nation Russia for postponing a vote which would decrease the rights of homosexuals in Russia but this is still as small step in the fight for equality in Russia. Latvia will be supporting the moves made by Poland in respect to the creation of a resolution and I would argue the Eurozone crisis is our foremost priority given that some nations in our bloc use the Euro namely Germany, Estonia and Finland.

The Secretariat has also announced measures to expand the powers of the Presidency. Given that some nations remain inactive the Secretariat has promised that Presidency and Chairman states such as Poland now may be able to immediately push through important legislation and resolutions with the agreement of the Secretariat and the seconding of another member state. This way we can ensure that the Baltic voice remains stronger in the MUN.

An Introduction to Poland

Poland is an incredibly important and influential member of the Baltic Partnership and on a wider scale the European Union. Poland joined the European Union in 2004 and immediately aligned itself with the functions of the EU. Poland is currently holding the Presidency of the EU and are very proud to be leading in what has become a great achievement for Poland, EU membership. Poland will be a strong player in the new Europe which will come and will almost certainly lead the EU (2004) joiners economically and politically soon.
Reply 53
Statement from the Secretariat

Latvia is extremely worried about the situation in the Eurozone. Latvia has shown its willingness to sign up to the new EU Fiscal Compact agreed by member states last week. We are worried that states such as the Czech Republic, Hungary, Sweden and Denmark and showing doubts about the deal. While the Baltic Partnership wishes to seek a fiscal union of Eurozone states it is under no illusion that the states outside the Euro are compatible for the treaty. The absence of the United Kingdom is also worrying as it is moving away from Europe. Latvia wants to see a simple European Union that reflects the needs of the citizens and a Europe that moves as one not 23 or 26. A fiscal Union for Eurozone nations but not for nations outside the Euro.

The Secretariat also condemns the moves by France to undermine the position of the United Kingdom in the European Union. The Secretariat deplores any moves by France to isolate or aggravate the situation. The Partnership notes this as the United Kingdom is a key partner as an Associate Member.

As of the 1st January 2012 the currently open offers to Lithuania and Russia to join the Partnership will cease. If these nations wish to join from then on they will have to submit a formal application to the Secretariat.

Elections to the Secretariat take place on the 1st January 2012. Any nations interested in taking on the post for the four month term, January-April 2012 are welcome. Candidates are as follows:

Latvia

Countdown to 2012, countdown to Germany's Presidency

Poland's presidency is in full swing. However on the 1st January 2012 Germany the Partnership's largest and strongest nation will take over the Presidency. The first German Presidency will provide the Partnership with huge influence and a real opportunity to push the MUN agenda forward.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 54

Welcome to Germany's Presidency....
Reply 55
We are currently going through the German Presidency, I call on the member for Germany to fulfill its obligations to the Partnership.
Original post by missbanana21
Libya is sure it speaks on behalf of the Council and members of the Arab League by welcoming the recognition of the Baltic Partnership. We aim to work closely with blocs who share our views on issues in order to have a greater influence in GA decision making, and feel that good relations with our friends in the Baltic region can help us achieve this.

Tunisia agrees with Libya and is overjoyed to see this recognition
Reply 57
The Partnership values the role Tunisia plays in helping forge collaborative links between the Arab League and Partnership.
Reply 58
The Baltic Partnership is currently investigating proposed laws in Russia that discriminate against homosexuals etc. The Partnership will be vigorously validating its findings and hope other nations with join the Partnership in condemning any foul play in this area.
The Baltic Partnership is currently investigating proposed laws in Russia that discriminate against homosexuals etc. The Partnership will be vigorously validating its findings and hope other nations with join the Partnership in condemning any foul play in this area.

If you'd like me to include something in the next update I'd be more than happy to.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending