The Student Room Group

Baltic Partnership

Scroll to see replies

Finland would also like to stand, if members would see it as fit
OOC: do we send a sort of manifesto for our hopes of the partnership? If so, any word-count?
Reply 101
Given that Finland are holding the Presidency next month it cannot legally hold the Secretariat as well as the Presidency. Currently the EU is a formal candidate for the Secretariat and should submit a manifesto of ideas before the 12th March. Voting opens a week nominations close.
In light of recent events, Tunisia withdraws its previous statement, however would remind the partnership that should it ever be needed, Tunisia is willing to chair the Partnership for a period of time until a suitable baltic nation can rise to the chair.

We are pleased to see revived activity
If Tunisia is not now the President of the Partnership, who is?
Reply 104
The European Union will only stand if members want it to
Original post by DebatingGreg
If Tunisia is not now the President of the Partnership, who is?

Tunisia never was, we simply offered. We had not formally undertaken the position yet but were going to as no full members had come forward. With the coming forward of some full member states, tunisia is no longer eligible.
Reply 106
Tunisia's position was purely interim and during a period of severe inactivity. Latvia declares its support for the European Union for the position of Secretariat. As Finland takes over the Presidency of the Partnership in May it would be unwise in my opinion for both roles to be held by the same nation.

Nominations for Secretariat close in 3 days. Voting will then take place a week after that. Remember that mainfestos as short or as long as one wishes need to be submitted in that week.
As Poland is scheduled to become the President of the Partnership in June, Poland is refraining from nominating itself as Secretariat. Poland will wait until all of the candidates are declared before supporting a country's nomination for Secretariat.
Reply 108
The European Union welcomes the endorsement from Latvia.

[OOC] I do not know what the role involves and have no idea what to put in my Manifesto.
Original post by frankayak
QFA

Given that the UK is an associate member of this organisation, would you consider allowing the Model HoC to become an associate member of this partnership?
Reply 110
The European Union as a candidate for Secretariat simply needs to present a small paragraph or set of plans of ideas to help boost activity and list the areas where it would like the Partnership to act resolution wise. This simply could be that the Partnership needs to work together with other agencies in the MUN on the Syria situation or on Iranian nuclear policy. I hope this clears the situation.

The Partnership gladly welcomes the Model House of Commons as an Official Partner of the Partnership. We look forward to British Members of the lower chamber to brief us on the developments of their Parliament and the opinions of MP's regarding international events or specifically Baltic/Nordic issues.
Finland welcomes the MHoC to the Partnership, and hopes that it shall keep us informed on issues which evolve there, and also a greater collaboration between Baltic States and that of the United Kingdom.
Original post by frankayak
The European Union as a candidate for Secretariat simply needs to present a small paragraph or set of plans of ideas to help boost activity and list the areas where it would like the Partnership to act resolution wise. This simply could be that the Partnership needs to work together with other agencies in the MUN on the Syria situation or on Iranian nuclear policy. I hope this clears the situation.

The Partnership gladly welcomes the Model House of Commons as an Official Partner of the Partnership. We look forward to British Members of the lower chamber to brief us on the developments of their Parliament and the opinions of MP's regarding international events or specifically Baltic/Nordic issues.

The HoC is glad to be welcomed into the Baltic Partnership and looks forward to working with its Baltic allies.
Original post by DebatingGreg
Finland welcomes the MHoC to the Partnership, and hopes that it shall keep us informed on issues which evolve there, and also a greater collaboration between Baltic States and that of the United Kingdom.

The HoC thanks Finland for its kind words and we intend to pursue a policy of greater collaboration between our two countries and between the HoC and the wider Baltic region.
Reply 114
Statement from the Outgoing Secretariat

Election of Secretriat for May-August 2012
It is with great pleasure that I can announce that the European Union has been by default elected to the position of Secretariat for the Baltic Partnership. With powers that include overseeing the Partnership, proposing legislation and guiding discussion we hope that the EU will lead the Partnership with the clarity and activity that is sorely needed and we look forward to renewed vision and enthusiasm for this Partnership that shares Europe as its common bond.

-----------------------------------------------------------
As a last proposal for the Partnership to consider is a formal rejection of the failed launch of a 'weather satellite' by North Korea which is an obvious display of willingness to enter into military conflict and destabilise the region. It is important that we speak as one and condemn this violation of UN resolutions that attempt to hold peace in a region so rocked by insecurity.
Finland acknowledges the Secretariat's Statement, and thanks it for its perseverance in the Partnership.

Finland is of the sentiment that we should give an official view of the two resolutions as soon as possible.
Finland acknowledges the Secretariat's statement.

Finland would like to know the Partnership's position on "Resolution 2012/3: Concerning the Situation in Syria". So far, the following members have expressed their public view on the resolution:

Finland: YES
Poland: YES
Lithuainia: YES
Tunisia: YES

Other members/associate members: Finland would be very interested in knowing your view.

Finland would be interested in the Partnership declaring its collective position on the resolution, but needs more members to state their views on the matter.

Finland knows that it would greatly improve the Partnership's and the members of the Partnership's relations with Japan, the partner, alongside Finland, behind the resolution. As has been stated, Japan is a major trading partner for members of the Partnership, and is a supporter of the Partnership in itself.

Equally, the same applies to Japan, the US and South Korea concerning the "Resolution 2012/4: Concerning the Situation in North Korea". Current positions are:

Finland: YES
Latvia: YES
Lithuainia: YES
Poland YES

Finland hopes that the Partnership can come to the right consensus concerning both of the resolutions.

OOC: I shall update the post as more express their views on the matter. Any I've missed out just tell me :smile:

Here is the members of the Partnership's view on the matter so far. Tell me if there is any mistakes.
Reply 117
The European Union welcomes this opportunity. There is a proposal which will revealed soon regarding MUN Reform.
Reply 118
Finland is absolutely right that we should take a view on the current resolutions. On behalf of the Partnership I am minded to record a 'YES' vote for each resolution if the Partnership would be so obliging. This would be a big step in cementing our influence in the MUN and I hope we can achieve this in the coming days.
Finland thanks the representative for Latvia for its agreement, and supports its move.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending