The Student Room Group

Occupy the London Stock Exchange - Saturday 15th Oct

Poll

Do you support the Protesters?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/financialcrisis/8794169/Protesters-plan-to-occupy-London-Stock-Exchange.html

Anyone planning to attend?

As far as I can tell the plan is to occupy the area until December. I know they are doing a similar thing in Wall Street already.

Edit:

A lot of people seem to be asking what the protests are for and what they are hoping to achieve. To quote the Occupy Wall Street Website:

Occupy Wall Street is leaderless resistance movement with people of many colors, genders and political persuasions. The one thing we all have in common is that We Are The 99% that will no longer tolerate the greed and corruption of the 1%. We are using the revolutionary Arab Spring tactic to achieve our ends and encourage the use of nonviolence to maximize the safety of all participants.

http://occupywallst.org/

So I guess the purpose is simply to show your opposition to unjust inequality and the behaviour of the banks and financial institutions which have bought the world's economy to the brink of collapse in the past few years. Further, there seems to be a general anger and frustration that nothing seems to have been done to hold responsible to account. Obviously everyone there will have a different agenda and reason for attending but the think the message above from the Occupy Wall Street website is pretty clear.
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Good luck people, its possible it could hurt the economy in the short term though :s-smilie:
Reply 2
Really they should be occupying Westminster since it was the Government that poured tax payers money into the banks.
Reply 3
..... :rolleyes:

Edit:- Feel free to stick your neg where the sun disnae shine. It'll turn out to be an anarchistic day out for Spartists and people who simply don't have a clue what they're protesting about.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
Just the usual bunch of immature, intellectually stunted, economically illiterate ***** then, I suppose.

"The event currently has 225 confirmed attendees, with a further 121 tentative yes's, despite the site failing to list any aims or objectives for the event, or exactly what is being protested."

That basically sums it up.
Reply 5
Anonymous anyone?
Why do people think those in power actually listen?
I hope this actually works and isn't just a flop like the other 1000000 other protests... I wish everyone who is planning to attend the best of luck.
Why is so much of the worlds population so god damn r*****ed? :angry: :colonhash:
Reply 9
Original post by Electronica
I hope this actually works and isn't just a flop like the other 1000000 other protests... I wish everyone who is planning to attend the best of luck.

How can it work if they haven't given any aims?
Original post by cambo211
How can it work if they haven't given any aims?

From the looks of it, they just want their voices to be heard about the displeasure of the previous government and perhaps also the current government. (Perhaps for cuts that are taking place because of what happened in 2008 - up until now) Their aim is just to highlight to everyone they are dissatisfied?
Original post by soup
Really they should be occupying Westminster since it was the Government that poured tax payers money into the banks.

Labour poured tax payers money into the banks. Not the current government
Reply 12
I'm not religious but I will be praying for police brutality
Reply 13
It's a real shame there's been comparatively little coherent left-wing response to everything that's going on politically at the moment. I'd be more than up for something like this if it actually had aims/goals/something in specific it was trying to say/a point, but it seems more like 'lol let's jump on a bandwagon under the spurious banner of having our voices heard'.

That said, anyone calling out in favour of police brutality in this case has serious issues; it ain't a crime to be left-wing, and the only case in which the police are justified in physically harming people is self-defence or defence of other members of the public. I don't think they're going to actually go in and beat up bankers, so it definitely would be wrong to use brutality against what is intended to be a peaceful protest.
Reply 14
Original post by NGC773
Labour poured tax payers money into the banks. Not the current government

I was talking about government in general. If the present government was in power they would have bailed out the banks using tax payers money anyway.
Reply 15
o0o0o0o on a Saturday. How daring.
Reply 16
Original post by AP1989
o0o0o0o on a Saturday. How daring.

It starts on Saturday but they will be there until December.

Original post by soup
I was talking about government in general. If the present government was in power they would have bailed out the banks using tax payers money anyway.

Kind of ironic how the banks have relied on 'taxpayers' money to help them out when they needed it when a lot of them don't even pay taxes themselves.

Original post by hatemylife
Why do people think those in power actually listen?

They will if enough people participate.

Original post by L i b
Just the usual bunch of immature, intellectually stunted, economically illiterate ***** then, I suppose.

"The event currently has 225 confirmed attendees, with a further 121 tentative yes's, despite the site failing to list any aims or objectives for the event, or exactly what is being protested."

That basically sums it up.

Because everyone who attends will probably have a different agenda/ reason. Nothing wrong with that. The aim is pretty much the same throughout though.

You sound very ignorant.
Original post by MTR_10
It starts on Saturday but they will be there until December.

Kind of ironic how the banks have relied on 'taxpayers' money to help them out when they needed it when a lot of them don't even pay taxes themselves.

They will if enough people participate.

Because everyone who attends will probably have a different agenda/ reason. Nothing wrong with that. The aim is pretty much the same throughout though.

You sound very ignorant.

No they won't.
Reply 18
The events that we are seeing in the world today are all reactions to the New World Order. You'll soon see.
Reply 19
Original post by Martyn*
The events that we are seeing in the world today are all reactions to the New World Order. You'll soon see.

Please elaborate

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending