The Student Room Group

Is UCL good for chemical engineering?

the requirements are AAb which is much less than imperial's A*A*A so i was wondering whether a degree from UCL would hold good employment value if not as much as imperial, is it better than one from Loughborough which is ranked higher in terms of chemical engineering but lower overall?

Scroll to see replies

UCL give out offers of AAb?!?
Original post by schooled
the requirements are AAb which is much less than imperial's A*A*A so i was wondering whether a degree from UCL would hold good employment value if not as much as imperial, is it better than one from Loughborough which is ranked higher in terms of chemical engineering but lower overall?

Loughborough is very well known for engineering so I'd probably go there if it was me.

Original post by AspiringGenius
UCL give out offers of AAb?!?

Yes, for many of their engineering courses.
Original post by Smack

Yes, for many of their engineering courses.

What. The. Fudge.

I thought they were supposed to be one of the best universities in the country, heck I even read one league table that put them fourth in the world after Cambridge, Havard and Stanford.

Why can't they give out that for medicine? :frown:
Reply 4
UCL is good for everything they do tbh.
What. The. Fudge.

I thought they were supposed to be one of the best universities in the country, heck I even read one league table that put them fourth in the world after Cambridge, Havard and Stanford.

They do sometimes. Depends on your predictions and interviews.

And he meant AAB, the entrance does require an interview aswell though.

I'm doing EEE and I promise you its a thousand times harder than any other course I've heard about from people at other universities. UCL demands a high level of commitment for engineering, sciences and medicine.

20% failed last year on my course. There are always big names giving presentations etc, but the university accepts no nonsense.
Reply 6
Original post by FranticMind

I'm doing EEE and I promise you its a thousand times harder than any other course I've heard about from people at other universities. UCL demands a high level of commitment for engineering, sciences and medicine.

20% failed last year on my course. There are always big names giving presentations etc, but the university accepts no nonsense.

Do you know much about Geology at UCL, I was thinking of applying there.
Reply 7
well, in all honesty, engineering isn't one of UCL's best department. None the less it is still good.
What. The. Fudge.

It's like every other multi faculty university, perhaps bar Oxford and Cambridge, in that it's good for some things and not quite as good as other universities for other things.

Universities that are really good for their subjects, and are also in locations that are appealing to potential applicants, tend to get swarmed with applications allowing them to give out really high offers. That's why universities such as Bath, Loughborough and Strathclyde will have higher offers for their engineering courses than UCL.

Keep in mind that newspaper league tables mean nothing either. And they probably would give out such offers for medicine if medicine wasn't one of the most competitive degrees to study. It's basically a function of supply and demand.

Now I haven't actually been to UCL nor seen much about it's engineering department. In fact I had never even heard of it until I started reading TSR. So I don't really know exactly how good it is for chemical engineering. But I do think there is good reason that the big engineering names have their names and I personally think that they're all safe choices, assuming you like the city, accommodation etc.

Original post by unknown681

No it's not. No university is good for everything it does.
Anyway to answer the thread concisely then UCL is good for chemical engineering because it's accredited which is all that matters. It's not better or worse than Loughborough because of what a newspaper league table may or may not say and the OP should visit them both to see which they like best.
Reply 10
For engineering, i'd look at Imperial
Original post by hash007
Do you know much about Geology at UCL, I was thinking of applying there.

Not really, general UCL yes I know quite a bit. Its a great university no doubt, but obviously some departments are under represented.

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=Geology
its 6
http://www.university-list.net/uk/rank/univ-9031.html
its 12

Its part of the earth sciences department

http://www.es.ucl.ac.uk/

They probably have some pretty good links if your into networking aswell.
Original post by Smack
It's like every other multi faculty university, perhaps bar Oxford and Cambridge, in that it's good for some things and not quite as good as other universities for other things.

Now I haven't actually been to UCL nor seen much about it's engineering department. In fact I had never even heard of it until I started reading TSR. So I don't really know exactly how good it is for chemical engineering.

No it's not. No university is good for everything it does.

Um no offense mate but you've just devalued your opinion to irrelevant.

UCL is a good university one of the oldest in the world, so the reason you haven't heard of it is your own downfall.

I agree in some respects though, UCL has some weak departments, engineering is not one of them however. EE is the best engineering department, but chemical isnt bad either. The others however aren't quite as solid, but still comparable to the likes of loughborough etc.

But overall it is a strong university with an ever increasing reputation.

What...
Original post by + polarity -
What...

lol we joined during the same month. If you read the thread you will see that I am simply showing him how he has said he knows nothing about what it is he is talking about.

UCL is a good university one of the oldest in the world, so the reason you haven't heard of it is your own downfall.

I agree in some respects though, UCL has some weak departments, engineering is not one of them however. EE is the best engineering department, but chemical isnt bad either. The others however aren't quite as solid, but still comparable to the likes of loughborough etc.

But overall it is a strong university with an ever increasing reputation.

You seriously think that a university founded in 1826 is one of the oldest in the world? :confused:

Anyway I don't think my opinion is irrelevant because I have worked in industry with chemical engineers. Unless you attend either Oxford or Cambridge there will be lots of people who have not heard of your university, because a lot of people you are likely to come across in industry will not have degrees (e.g. many senior and principle engineers, many HR staff), have attended university before national newspaper league tables were published and thus only really knew about their local universities and Oxbridge/maybe Imperial, or just not give a damn.

Now I reject your notion that I am making comments about things that I know nothing about. I said that I had not heard of UCL before I started reading TSR. I read TSR now and heard people posting about UCL a few years ago now.

But even if that wasn't the case, in industry you should expect to come across people making judgements about things they know nothing about, for that is the nature of things. But it turns out that we have professional bodies that can help make judgements for us, via accreditation, and they release this information in the form of a very simple to read table.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 16
And another reasonable query turns into 'That TSR thread'... :rolleyes:
Reply 17

Deep breaths... Do you think the bolded statement is literally correct? Really?

Drop out rates are a funny thing aren't they, a high dropout rate at a post 92 shows that it's a bad uni whereas a high drop out rate at UCL shows that it's good.
Original post by Joinedup
Deep breaths... Do you think the bolded statement is literally correct? Really?

Drop out rates are a funny thing aren't they, a high dropout rate at a post 92 shows that it's a bad uni whereas a high drop out rate at UCL shows that it's good.

Sorry they didnt drop out. The exams and coursework are just of a high level and so they were forced to resit the year. The standard required was more than they achieved.

No its not correct, I just find that UCLs EE course seems to batter us with maths and the more difficult side of things, whereas other universities take a more laid back approach (not the same with all ofc, Imperial are also a cruel bunch) which is not necessarily better just harder.

my dad did architecture there and only a quater of his class actually graduated.

Original post by unknown681

it's not. go on the philosophy forum and ask what everyone has heard about the course. rankings mean nothing.

Quick Reply

Latest