The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Leeds 2012 Applicants Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by casmn
How long did you wait before they acknowledged you, out of interest? 'Cause I've had acknowledgements from my other choices by now but not Leeds :\

Sent in the application on 16th October, acknowledged today, 25th October :biggrin:
I wouldn't worry too much, I have only had two acknowledgements so far and tbh, if it has got to one, the application should get to the others safely too. I must admit that it is a nice feeling when they e-mail you though, it makes it so much more real :smile:

Good luck and I hope your acknowledgement arrives soon!
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 81
Original post by Obsidian
Sent in the application on 16th October, acknowledged today, 25th October :biggrin:
I wouldn't worry too much, I have only had two acknowledgements so far and tbh, if it has got to one, the application should get to the others safely too. I must admit that it is a nice feeling when they e-mail you though, it makes it so much more real :smile:

Good luck and I hope your acknowledgement arrives soon!

Cool, yeah I guess it's still way too early to worry about it. Some people have offers though, it's scary
Good luck with yours too :smile: , what're you applying for?
Reply 82
Original post by casmn
Cool, yeah I guess it's still way too early to worry about it. Some people have offers though, it's scary
Good luck with yours too :smile: , what're you applying for?

Good things come to those who wait :wink:
I have applied for English Language and Literature- and you?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by hannahwhelan
Course: English Language and Literature
Required Grades: AAB
Predicted Grades: A*AA

Leeds is my insurance choice, but I absolutely loved the look of the English department and the feel of the university as a whole :biggrin: I'm just hoping they make me an offer!

I've applied to Leeds for English Lit & Lang!
Had to go to Manchester open day the same day so missed the English talk! Could you tell me anything about it please? I really want to put it as my firm or insurance (if I get an offer!) but feel a bit uneasy as I don't no much about it!
Reply 84
Original post by RastaMannn
Compared to TSR standard, they stink XD, I got a mixture of A's and B's and and A* in English language. Are they good for politics at Leeds perhaps?

Haha I know! Fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on your viewpoint) there was more to my life than grades at school, in fact grades were one of my lowest priorities. Assuming your A-Levels are good, I see no reason why your GCSEs will hold you back - though I am somewhat of a layman in this area so don't take this as a guarantee.
Original post by RastaMannn
what GCSE's and A levels did you get?
thanks.

Erm, gosh....2 A*s and 8 A's at GCSE level then for A-level:

French - A
Geography - A
Psychology - B

Have you applied for Int'l Relations? I'm beginning to think I'm the only guy ever to do it, all the publicity pictures around have been girls and the only people I've spoken to studying it are female....not that this is a bad thing :sexface:
Reply 86
Original post by harrisonJT
Sending off my application at the end of this week for Politics & Parliamentary Studies
Required grades AAB
Predicted grades A*A*A

Really want to get an interview! Only 18 places.. anyone else applying?

Here here! My predicted grades aren't ashigh as yours as hey are AAA. However, I do well at interviews says my teachers
Reply 87
Good things come to those who wait :wink:
I have applied for English and American Literature- and you?

'Then again, they might not come at all' :cool:
Japanese, although Leeds won't let me do it with history, so it's kind of a reserve. Loved the Uni though.
Reply 88
Original post by faithxfaye
Here here! My predicted grades aren't ashigh as yours as hey are AAA. However, I do well at interviews says my teachers

Good luck! Stay in contact pal, no one else I know is applying! Hopefully my predicted grades will get me the interview and then I can start worrying. How amazing would the year at Westminster be! Where else are you applying? Hopefully if I don't get on they'll offer me straight Politics for my reserve.
Reply 89
Original post by daisy-lynn
I've applied to Leeds for English Lit & Lang!
Had to go to Manchester open day the same day so missed the English talk! Could you tell me anything about it please? I really want to put it as my firm or insurance (if I get an offer!) but feel a bit uneasy as I don't no much about it!

:facepalm: I meant English Language and Literature. I've applied for English and American Literature at Kent. Oh dear, getting them mixed up already. :frown: I will go and edit my post :colondollar:

At the talk we were basically introduced to the outline of the course. For me a major point was that there is only one compulsory language module. Be aware that there are lots of applicants but the course itself looked great; there are lots of options in the 2nd and 3rd years. The School of English building was really beautiful - there was a small room with a fireplace where (I hear) seminars can be held. The lecture hall was spacious, well lit and had comfy seats :biggrin::wink:
Hope that helps, overall I had a great impression of the University and course so I have applied.
:facepalm: I meant English Language and Literature. I've applied for English and American Literature at Kent. Oh dear, getting them mixed up already. :frown: I will go and edit my post :colondollar:

At the talk we were basically introduced to the outline of the course. For me a major point was that there is only one compulsory language module. Be aware that there are lots of applicants but the course itself looked great; there are lots of options in the 2nd and 3rd years. The School of English building was really beautiful - there was a small room with a fireplace where (I hear) seminars can be held. The lecture hall was spacious, well lit and had comfy seats :biggrin::wink:
Hope that helps, overall I had a great impression of the University and course so I have applied.

Thank you! This helped a lot. I have only heard good things about English at Leeds so (if I manage to get an offer) think it'll definitely be firm or insurance! Good luck with your application too!
Reply 91
Good luck! Stay in contact pal, no one else I know is applying! Hopefully my predicted grades will get me the interview and then I can start worrying. How amazing would the year at Westminster be! Where else are you applying? Hopefully if I don't get on they'll offer me straight Politics for my reserve.

Oh yeah that's what really confirmed my decision, the wOrk placemen :biggrin: like first hand experience and that
Reply 92

Yeah I would be a bit disappointed if I got into just straight Politics :frown: im working with a cabinet ministe ATM this half term, so hopefully they'll see my dedication to politics ><
Original post by Aaaaaaaargh!
Erm, gosh....2 A*s and 8 A's at GCSE level then for A-level:

French - A
Geography - A
Psychology - B

Have you applied for Int'l Relations? I'm beginning to think I'm the only guy ever to do it, all the publicity pictures around have been girls and the only people I've spoken to studying it are female....not that this is a bad thing :sexface:

impressive! :smile: and i've applied for politics and predicted AAB. i might apply this year just to satisfy my curiosity on whether i can get in, but apply next year more confidently with hopefully better grades than AAB!
I know I'm a bit late, but received an offer from Leeds today for English Language and Literature!!!!!

Sooooo happy, loved Leeds! My offer is AAB with an A in English Literature.

Anyone else heard back from Leeds yet for English? Would love to meet you guys!
Reply 95
I am a 1st year undergrad at Leeds in English Lang and Lit - throw me any questions you wish!

Original post by Legendary-A-Sonic
I know I'm a bit late, but received an offer from Leeds today for English Language and Literature!!!!!

Sooooo happy, loved Leeds! My offer is AAB with an A in English Literature.

Anyone else heard back from Leeds yet for English? Would love to meet you guys!

Congrats for getting an offer for what is obviously the best choice :h:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Muffinz
I am a 1st year undergrad at Leeds in English Lang and Lit - throw me any questions you wish!

Congrats for getting an offer for what is obviously the best choice :h:

Thank you so much! I will definitely take you up on that at some point; I have quite a few questions but I'm a bit too excited to articulate them coherently at the moment!

I loved Leeds so much, I'm absolutely thrilled. :redface:
Reply 97
Thank you so much! I will definitely take you up on that at some point; I have quite a few questions but I'm a bit too excited to articulate them coherently at the moment!

I loved Leeds so much, I'm absolutely thrilled. :redface:

Okay, well if you wanna hear my epic ideas about Mrs Dalloway, or any other stuff, let me know! (I handed in my first assignment which will recieve a formal mark but does not count towards my final grade, if that makes sense, on Tuesday, regarding social status/engagement with literature in the novel. Will probably get a mark back within a fortnight - pretty excited to see how I did although I think I went on an enormous, but fun, tangent.)
Original post by Muffinz
Okay, well if you wanna hear my epic ideas about Mrs Dalloway, or any other stuff, let me know! (I handed in my first assignment which will recieve a formal mark but does not count towards my final grade, if that makes sense, on Tuesday, regarding social status/engagement with literature in the novel. Will probably get a mark back within a fortnight - pretty excited to see how I did although I think I went on an enormous, but fun, tangent.)

Virginia Woolf, right? I just finished reading The Waves today, first thing of hers that I've read, I loved it! I would actually be quite interested to hear your epic ideas, do tell all!
Reply 99
Virginia Woolf, right? I just finished reading The Waves today, first thing of hers that I've read, I loved it! I would actually be quite interested to hear your epic ideas, do tell all!

At Leeds, one of the first year modules covers Mrs Dalloway with a range of critical essays, one of wich is Woolf's A Room of One's Own. My essay thesis, which I just submitted, was something along the lines of: Characters who disregard language are often in powerful societal positions; they also think in a masculine manner, whilst those who think androgynously are disenfranchised and ostracised. Woolf, therfore, links the appreciation of literature to the patriarchy of the period.

My other thesis was that WWI in the novel is used as an allegory for Woolf's attempt to change the traditional form of the novel, which is reflective upon the characters.

Quick Reply

Latest