The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Leeds 2012 Applicants Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 120
Original post by hannahwhelan
I've had an offer as well! :biggrin: AAB with an A in lit.

:sexface:

If you have any questions about Leeds, let me know.
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 121
is anyone applying for medical sciences?
I sent my UCAS off 10 days ago, and still haven't got an acknowledgement email
EEEK
I've had an offer as well! :biggrin: AAB with an A in lit.

I remember you! :wink: That's fantastic, congratulations!

And congrats on your Sheffield offer too! I was a bit worried if I applied there I'd start stalking Simon Armitage :redface: He's brilliant. I was saying earlier to someone how I'm just going to sneak down from wherever I am for his lectures... :sexface:

Aaaanyway, well done! :smile: How's ELAT prep going? I'm going to be totally honest and say I haven't done any yet :/ I feel a fail coming on... I also now have a Boots job interview on the SAME DAY, plus a Uniform Committee meeting that I can't miss (Head Girl :cool:) blehhhh. Going to be such a busy day!
Original post by Legendary-A-Sonic
I remember you! :wink: That's fantastic, congratulations!

And congrats on your Sheffield offer too! I was a bit worried if I applied there I'd start stalking Simon Armitage :redface: He's brilliant. I was saying earlier to someone how I'm just going to sneak down from wherever I am for his lectures... :sexface:

Aaaanyway, well done! :smile: How's ELAT prep going? I'm going to be totally honest and say I haven't done any yet :/ I feel a fail coming on... I also now have a Boots job interview on the SAME DAY, plus a Uniform Committee meeting that I can't miss (Head Girl :cool:) blehhhh. Going to be such a busy day!

Haha, one of my English teachers said that he's a bit of an idiot in person when he gives readings; apparently he tries to be "down with the kids" :confused: The department at Sheffield looks nice though! They've converted a church to use as a lecture theatre, which is pretty cool.

Aha, what ELAT prep?! :rolleyes: I literally haven't done anything. It's supposed to be an aptitude test, so I really don't think you can do much preparation for it. I might have a go at a practice paper on the Monday or Tuesday beforehand, just to get an idea of how quickly I need to write etc, but that's all I'm planning on doing, if anything.

Oh dear, how stressful! I failed the Boots online aptitude test :rolleyes: I might have to try applying again; I need money for Christmas! I'm going to an Arctic Monkeys gig in the evening, which should be a nice stress-reliever. I can't wait to get it over and done with to be honest, I just want to find out whether I'm worth interviewing or not!
Original post by RastaMannn
impressive! :smile: and i've applied for politics and predicted AAB. i might apply this year just to satisfy my curiosity on whether i can get in, but apply next year more confidently with hopefully better grades than AAB!

And what's wrong with getting AAB? :P Clearly only the best students get AAB...:colonhash:
Reply 125
Course: Medical Sciences
Required grades: AAA-ABB
Predicted grades: AAB

I loved leeds!!!!
Haha, one of my English teachers said that he's a bit of an idiot in person when he gives readings; apparently he tries to be "down with the kids" :confused: The department at Sheffield looks nice though! They've converted a church to use as a lecture theatre, which is pretty cool.

Aha, what ELAT prep?! :rolleyes: I literally haven't done anything. It's supposed to be an aptitude test, so I really don't think you can do much preparation for it. I might have a go at a practice paper on the Monday or Tuesday beforehand, just to get an idea of how quickly I need to write etc, but that's all I'm planning on doing, if anything.

Oh dear, how stressful! I failed the Boots online aptitude test :rolleyes: I might have to try applying again; I need money for Christmas! I'm going to an Arctic Monkeys gig in the evening, which should be a nice stress-reliever. I can't wait to get it over and done with to be honest, I just want to find out whether I'm worth interviewing or not!

To be honest, I can see that he might be; I saw him at GCSE Poetry Live and he seemed a little... not aloof, but 'I'm too cool for this' type of thing? Brilliant example of how articulate I am right there :rolleyes: But when he did make jokes, he was really funny. That being said, I was 15/just 16 so not half as mature as I imagine myself now :wink:

Haha, so glad I'm not the only one! Totally agree, don't think there's anything that can be done - my only worry is that I won't finish/get enough down in time, I never do in exams. I'll do the same and give the past paper a go to get a feel for timing. I'm hoping I'll at least hit the top of the second highest band.

The Boots test was really difficult! I don't think I'd have been able to do it without looking at advice from previous applicants! :colondollar: Would be nice to get the job, it's literally the only place in town that's still got Christmas temp vacancies and I reaaaally need the money!

Gahh wish I was going to see Arctic Monkeys, sounds amazing! Have a wonderful time (and spare a thought for poor old me, handing out baskets and trying to peddle the Advantage Card to disinterested shoppers :wink:)
x

Also, just had a look on the ELAT website and there are now loads more past papers! When did this happen? I thought that there was only one on there, but now they have the papers from 2007-2010!

... Maybe I'm just slow. Is this common knowledge already? Either way, thought I'd let you know. :smile:
Argggh I'm so desperate to hear from Leeds!
Also, just had a look on the ELAT website and there are now loads more past papers! When did this happen? I thought that there was only one on there, but now they have the papers from 2007-2010!

... Maybe I'm just slow. Is this common knowledge already? Either way, thought I'd let you know. :smile:

THANK YOU SO SO SO MUCH! I had no idea and now - I have a few past papers by my side :smile: Makes me feel a lot better although I doubt I will actually get in anyway but the essays will flex some literary muscles :biggrin:

Thanks again,

I really want to hear from Leeds too, I am getting a bit worried.
Reply 130
Applying for Linguistics

GCSE's 6A*'s, 3A's, 1B
AS: A (French), B (Economics), B (Religious Studies), C (German, dropped)
A2 Predictions: AAA

Leed's is pretty much my first/second choice; fingers crossed! :crossedf:
so so so loved leeds! does anyone have a natural sciences offer yet?

did anyone apply for natural sciences at leeds? because i feel like no one else has D:
Original post by Obsidian
THANK YOU SO SO SO MUCH! I had no idea and now - I have a few past papers by my side :smile: Makes me feel a lot better although I doubt I will actually get in anyway but the essays will flex some literary muscles :biggrin:

Thanks again,

I really want to hear from Leeds too, I am getting a bit worried.

No problem! So glad it helped someone else too :smile: I'm probably going to fail the ELAT but OH WELL. :rolleyes:

I'm sure you'll hear from Leeds soon :smile: In the English booklet thing they gave out it said offers are given all the way into January, so I wouldn't worry too much. Keeping my fingers crossed, although I'm sure you won't need it :wink:
Yaaaay got my unconditional for Biochem today :biggrin:
Reply 134
Original post by RM93
Yeah I do
A2 Maths, Economics, Biology.
AS Further Maths

On the website I'm sure they say they sometimes give offers of just AA (Maths and FM) What subjects do you take and where else have you applied? I didnt do very well in my AS but I think my PS was quite good so hopefully I'll get an offer! :/

so you are predicted 3 A's in those A2? well i am the opposite had quite high A's in my As and then took my eye off the ball for A2.. so i find myself on an unplanned gap year, but with the odd retake i am more than confident to get at least AAB in Econ Maths and ClassCiv. applied Bristol, Newcastle, Reading as well.
I've just received my Leeds offer confirmation in the post :smile: They're holding an English applicants open day on the 27th of January, right in between my English language and general studies A2 exams!
No problem! So glad it helped someone else too :smile: I'm probably going to fail the ELAT but OH WELL. :rolleyes:

I'm sure you'll hear from Leeds soon :smile: In the English booklet thing they gave out it said offers are given all the way into January, so I wouldn't worry too much. Keeping my fingers crossed, although I'm sure you won't need it :wink:

Thanks, you too :smile:
Just got to be patient I suppose :rolleyes:
Reply 137
I've just received my Leeds offer confirmation in the post :smile: They're holding an English applicants open day on the 27th of January, right in between my English language and general studies A2 exams!

If you can't make it and still want to come up to Leeds, I would be happy to volunteer some time to tell you about my experience of the course, show you around the department and the buildings the English Department use, the Union building, the Libraries and if you want, parts of the city.
Original post by Muffinz
If you can't make it and still want to come up to Leeds, I would be happy to volunteer some time to tell you about my experience of the course, show you around the department and the buildings the English Department use, the Union building, the Libraries and if you want, parts of the city.

I'll be able to make it :smile: Will you be back home by then? I'm looking forward to seeing some more of the buildings and the library, as well as the accommodation (which I didn't get a chance to see last time I visited). I assume that having Leeds as your insurance option puts you at a disadvantage when applying for accommodation?
Reply 139
I'll be able to make it :smile: Will you be back home by then? I'm looking forward to seeing some more of the buildings and the library, as well as the accommodation (which I didn't get a chance to see last time I visited). I assume that having Leeds as your insurance option puts you at a disadvantage when applying for accommodation?

It doesn't, because they allocate it after results day. You only get your accomodation offers before that if you have an unconditional offer. I'll be back in Leeds at the beginning of January for my exams - the teaching period begins on the 20th.

Definitely check out the accommodation: I'm in Lupton and it's really nice, but the one thing about it that irks me is that I enjoy having house parties and the kitchen can only fit about 8-10 chairs around the table. It's a bit ridiculous! If I could choose my accommodation again I'd probably go for somewhere like James Baille which has a little more entertainment space... otherwise, Lupton is perfect.

Quick Reply

Latest