The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Leeds 2012 Applicants Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by accomoffice
You pay the deposit when you accept the offer (within 7 days of the original offer email). Then on the 27th, you can select how to pay the rent (i.e whether you're going to pay in installments and by direct debit or card etc) and you can also do the eIntro which will give you useful information and you can also book an arrival slot. The reason is that, at the moment, you're an "applicant" and on the 27th (or thereabouts) the system rolls over your records and you become a "student". That gives you access to the Portal (which is from where the eIntro can be accessed) and also means that you now have a financial record with the university so you can set up your installment plan.
Hope that makes sense (and isn't too much information for a Sunday afternoon!)

And to answer your previous question, Freshers week starts from Monday 17th (with everything at the Students Union being open on the Sunday evening). Teaching starts on 24th, but during Freshers Week, you'll usually have to attend some things in your department as well as completing our registration by getting your student card etc. and picking electives if your course allows some and if you haven't already done so online.
Accommodation contracts start on 8th, the 12th, the 15th or the 16th depending on where you'll be living. But most people don't arrive until the weekend of 15th/16th as there's nothing really going on before then.

Why is the best time to come? When is the best time to move in?
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Original post by Dee Leigh
Why is the best time to come? When is the best time to move in?

Depends on you. There is no "best" time to arrive although I would advise being there by 6 on the Sunday at the latest.Other than that, it depends on what time you can get a lift, or what time your trains are, what you want to do at home before you leave (e.g. do you want a last Saturday night out with your friends etc.). If you arrive before the weekend, there is a risk that there will be nobody else in your flat until the weekend which would mean you would need to be very proactive in going round knocking on doors. People get really scared that if they arrive last, everyone else will have bonded and they will feel left out. That really isn't going to happen.
Personally, I would arrive on the Saturday but what time depends on where you're coming from - have a thought for whoever's driving you (if you are getting a lift) and their return journey.
Original post by accomoffice
Depends on you. There is no "best" time to arrive although I would advise being there by 6 on the Sunday at the latest.Other than that, it depends on what time you can get a lift, or what time your trains are, what you want to do at home before you leave (e.g. do you want a last Saturday night out with your friends etc.). If you arrive before the weekend, there is a risk that there will be nobody else in your flat until the weekend which would mean you would need to be very proactive in going round knocking on doors. People get really scared that if they arrive last, everyone else will have bonded and they will feel left out. That really isn't going to happen.
Personally, I would arrive on the Saturday but what time depends on where you're coming from - have a thought for whoever's driving you (if you are getting a lift) and their return journey.

I presume you mean Sunday 9th of September?

When you say Saturday, do you mean Saturday 8th September?

I am traveling by train from London, but I will need to sort out of few things and say goodbye to family and friends so I don't know yet when I will come. I'm in no rush but I will have to figure it out soon because I would like to book my ticket in advance.

Sorry if I keep on asking questions, I am new to all of this and I am so nervous!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1463
I presume you mean Sunday 9th of September?

When you say Saturday, do you mean Saturday 8th September?

I am traveling by train from London, but I will need to sort out of few things and say goodbye to family and friends so I don't know yet when I will come.

Sorry if I keep on asking questions, I am new to all of this and I am so nervous!

I guess the weekend after because the first day of freshers week is the 17th of September.
Original post by Unfold
I guess the weekend after because the first day of freshers week is the 17th of September.

So 15th/16th of September I guess.

I remember the website mentioning something about the 12th September when I was checking out T&Cs for accommodation but I really couldn't remember what that was about.

Oh well...
So 15th/16th of September I guess.

I remember the website mentioning something about the 12th September when I was checking out T&Cs for accommodation but I really couldn't remember what that was about.

Oh well...

That's the date the accommodation contracts start, so people can start arriving on the 12th :smile:
Original post by Aaaaaaaargh!
That's the date the accommodation contracts start, so people can start arriving on the 12th :smile:

Now I remember!!!

Oh my gosh I am so nervous.

:smile:

Does anyone know if halls has CO3 alarms? And how often do fire drills occur?

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-S5830
Now I remember!!!

Oh my gosh I am so nervous.

:smile:

Does anyone know if halls has CO3 alarms? And how often do fire drills occur?

If you mean CO2 detectors, then I'm pretty sure that's a legal requirement of any rented accommodation regardless of whether it's for students or not haha, so yes there are :smile:

And fire drills do occur, but quantifying how often they go off would be like asking how long is a piece of string. There'll definitely be one or two though!

Don't be nervous :biggrin: I'll be there too xD
Does anyone know the term dates for 2012/13?
Does anyone know the term dates for 2012/13?

http://www.leeds.ac.uk/info/20014/about/158/term_dates
Is Leeds VERY strict about its offer? Any experiences?
Reply 1471
Original post by Aaaaaaaargh!
If you mean CO2 detectors, then I'm pretty sure that's a legal requirement of any rented accommodation regardless of whether it's for students or not haha, so yes there are :smile:

And fire drills do occur, but quantifying how often they go off would be like asking how long is a piece of string. There'll definitely be one or two though!

Don't be nervous :biggrin: I'll be there too xD

Carbon monoxide is 'CO' :P
Original post by kevin s
Carbon monoxide is 'CO' :P

Ooops!

Well I've never been good at science!
Does halls of residence come with insurance?
When do the classes begin, for Law specifically? Not the orientation week, but the classes...
I'm in!

I'll admit it. I screamed!
Reply 1476
Got in wooo! So unbelievably excited!
I'M IN! WOO :smile: For International Relations, anyone else doing the course?
Reply 1478
In for zoology!!! :biggrin:
I'm in! Spanish!

Quick Reply

Latest