The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

Leeds 2012 Applicants Thread

Scroll to see replies

I will be an international student from the states, with no recorded APs yet (taking 2 this year) and the SAT saturday and the ACT in november. Will two APs be enough does anyone know? Leeds is my first chioce and I want to know if I need to self study for another test or not.
Thanks for any help in advance!
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 1641
Original post by kelseyvail
I will be an international student from the states, with no recorded APs yet (taking 2 this year) and the SAT saturday and the ACT in november. Will two APs be enough does anyone know? Leeds is my first chioce and I want to know if I need to self study for another test or not.

Are you applying for 2013? Yes that should be fine, Leeds is my first choice too :smile:

Most British universities I've seen who have published their US grade requirements do so on the basis that you get 3 APs, whose grades match the A-level requirement where A = 5, B = 4, etc. So a course requiring AAB would require 554 in your APs, including a relevant subject if specified.

It's best to email them and ask though.
Original post by sunny103
Are you applying for 2013? Yes that should be fine, Leeds is my first choice too :smile:

Yes, applying for 2013. I emailed their representative who deals with international inquiries and she didn't really give me much help, other than saying that I would be considered on an individual basis, which I don't really understand. Anyways though, do you think any conditional offer I receive is likely to tell me I need 5's or just 4's?
Reply 1644
Yes, applying for 2013. I emailed their representative who deals with international inquiries and she didn't really give me much help, other than saying that I would be considered on an individual basis, which I don't really understand. Anyways though, do you think any conditional offer I receive is likely to tell me I need 5's or just 4's?

I think you have a good chance of getting a place, just make sure your personal statement is good and you shouldn't have a problem :smile:
I think you have a good chance of getting a place, just make sure your personal statement is good and you shouldn't have a problem :smile:

Oh that's totally awesome, and I know this is a pretty in depth question, but I am still really foggy about what exactly I should put in a personal statement. How personal should I actually make it? Is one of those cheesy sayings like 'since I was 5 I always wanted to be a firefighter' a thing you would leave out? I'm gonna send in my application once I get my SAT scores back on the fifteenth.

Also, since I want to study childhood studies, would it be wise to get my letter of recommendation from the teacher that I am enrolled in two of her teaching classes (my high school offers a preschool for parents in the area, I'm in that, as well as in a teaching assistant class at the elementary school level) or should I get that letter of recommendation from a core subject teacher? I feel the preschool/teaching academy teacher knows me better as well as is more connected and relevant for my field of study. Opinions?
Thanks in advance :smile:
Oh that's totally awesome, and I know this is a pretty in depth question, but I am still really foggy about what exactly I should put in a personal statement. How personal should I actually make it? Is one of those cheesy sayings like 'since I was 5 I always wanted to be a firefighter' a thing you would leave out? I'm gonna send in my application once I get my SAT scores back on the fifteenth.

Also, since I want to study childhood studies, would it be wise to get my letter of recommendation from the teacher that I am enrolled in two of her teaching classes (my high school offers a preschool for parents in the area, I'm in that, as well as in a teaching assistant class at the elementary school level) or should I get that letter of recommendation from a core subject teacher? I feel the preschool/teaching academy teacher knows me better as well as is more connected and relevant for my field of study. Opinions?

My reference contained statements from three teachers, so there's no reason you can't have multiple if they would help. I would suggest getting 5s. Unlike the Common App, in your personal statement you should focus on why you want to do that specific course, what you enjoy currently about the subject, and how it might help you to study it in future. TSR has a huge bank of personal statements you can look at for ideas.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Muffinz
My reference contained statements from three teachers, so there's no reason you can't have multiple if they would help. I would suggest getting 5s. Unlike the Common App, in your personal statement you should focus on why you want to do that specific course, what you enjoy currently about the subject, and how it might help you to study it in future. TSR has a huge bank of personal statements you can look at for ideas.

Oh awesome, thank you!! Are you talking about on the AP tests? I really hope to get 5's! Also, I don't know if this is a possible thing to do, but I took two AP classes last year but didn't take the tests, is there any way I can put that on my application and be considered at all or is that looked down upon?

Again thanks for your help :smile:
Oh awesome, thank you!! Are you talking about on the AP tests? I really hope to get 5's! Also, I don't know if this is a possible thing to do, but I took two AP classes last year but didn't take the tests, is there any way I can put that on my application and be considered at all or is that looked down upon?

Again thanks for your help :smile:

No. You could take the tests THIS year?

Otherwise you could ask one of your teachers/your guidance counseller to mention it in your reference. To bolster your application I would advise doing the tests this winter and updating the universities you've applied to by email of the results.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1649

Just say why you want to study childhood studies and If you have studied it before- say why you enjoy it. It only has to be a page long and also talk about your extra curriculum activities. At the end of the personal statement say what you hope to get out of the course. Yes you need references from your teachers, yeah ask the preschool teacher.
Original post by Muffinz
No. You could take the tests THIS year?

Otherwise you could ask one of your teachers/your guidance counseller to mention it in your reference. To bolster your application I would advise doing the tests this winter and updating the universities you've applied to by email of the results.

I might speak with my history and english teachers from last year about self studying for those tests and taking them in may because it would give me a better chance of getting into my first choice (Leeds) but even with 2 APs, the ACT and the SAT, (without the 2 aps from last year) do you think I have a good chance of getting in, if I do well on the ACT and my SAT scores are good?
Just say why you want to study childhood studies and If you have studied it before- say why you enjoy it. It only has to be a page long and also talk about your extra curriculum activities. At the end of the personal statement say what you hope to get out of the course. Yes you need references from your teachers, yeah ask the preschool teacher.

Awesome thank you very much for your help! I'll be submitting my app within the next couple of weeks I'm hoping, and my fingers are crossed for a conditional from Leeds!! :smile:
I might speak with my history and english teachers from last year about self studying for those tests and taking them in may because it would give me a better chance of getting into my first choice (Leeds) but even with 2 APs, the ACT and the SAT, (without the 2 aps from last year) do you think I have a good chance of getting in, if I do well on the ACT and my SAT scores are good?

Have you emailed the department and asked yet? Do that. I suspect they would expect you to have at least 3 APs. Plus you don't need the ACT AND the SAT... pick one...
Original post by Muffinz
Have you emailed the department and asked yet? Do that. I suspect they would expect you to have at least 3 APs. Plus you don't need the ACT AND the SAT... pick one...

Yes I've emailed. Their rep. is often our of office unfortunately. I'm hoping I will only need 2 as I am only taking 2 this year. If I have to I will self study for a class. It's not ideal but I want do badly to go to Leeds!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Quick Reply

Latest