The Student Room Group

The "waiting for news is driving me crazy" uberthread 2011-12

Scroll to see replies

I got an email from Sheffield saying I was being offered a place but then on track the next day it changed to unsuccessful. I've emailed them about it but I expect they'll take a while to reply. Which is more likely to be right, the email or UCAS?

Also, for another university i'm applying to i've seen posts on here from someone who sent their UCAS form on the exact same day as me applying for the same course and they received an offer two days ago, does me not hearing from them yet mean i've been stuck on a maybe pile?
Applied for UCAS today!!
Original post by sarahwarahbarah

I got an email from Sheffield saying I was being offered a place but then on track the next day it changed to unsuccessful. I've emailed them about it but I expect they'll take a while to reply. Which is more likely to be right, the email or UCAS?

Track is the one to believe, unfortunately.
There are errors like this every year where applicants are sent the wrong information by email or by post, but the university doesn't have to uphold the offer even if they say in one place they're giving an offer then it comes up on track that they're not. With email its obviously harder for them to retract it once they've sent it whereas with the post the mistake can be realised before its actually been sent.

As you've already done, email Sheffield and see what they say. They might say its a mistake at their end on track (much more unlikely than a mistake with the email) or that given the confusion, they'll give you an offer anyway out of good will or they might just say sorry, we made a mistake sending you the email.

Also, for another university i'm applying to i've seen posts on here from someone who sent their UCAS form on the exact same day as me applying for the same course and they received an offer two days ago, does me not hearing from them yet mean i've been stuck on a maybe pile?

It could mean you're on a maybe pile or it could not be - its all completely random. Some universities will look at all applications as they come in whereas some will just look at a sample to gauge the standard of applicants. It could be that the other person had a stronger personal statement or predicted grades than you so therefore they've been given an offer immediately. It might also be something like they've got an unconditional offer because they've already got their grades and you don't or that they're an international applicant, as people from both of these groups tend to find out quicker than home students who are applying with predicted grades. Obviously I don't know what category you fit in, I'm just giving reasons.
Original post by oxymoronic
There are errors like this every year where applicants are sent the wrong information by email or by post, but the university doesn't have to uphold the offer even if they say in one place they're giving an offer then it comes up on track that they're not. With email its obviously harder for them to retract it once they've sent it whereas with the post the mistake can be realised before its actually been sent.

As you've already done, email Sheffield and see what they say. They might say its a mistake at their end on track (much more unlikely than a mistake with the email) or that given the confusion, they'll give you an offer anyway out of good will or they might just say sorry, we made a mistake sending you the email.

It could mean you're on a maybe pile or it could not be - its all completely random. Some universities will look at all applications as they come in whereas some will just look at a sample to gauge the standard of applicants. It could be that the other person had a stronger personal statement or predicted grades than you so therefore they've been given an offer immediately. It might also be something like they've got an unconditional offer because they've already got their grades and you don't or that they're an international applicant, as people from both of these groups tend to find out quicker than home students who are applying with predicted grades. Obviously I don't know what category you fit in, I'm just giving reasons.

I already have my grades. So basically i've probably not got the offer I thought I had for my second choice and it's looking unlikely i'll get one for my first :frown: That's fairly devastating, they shouldn't be allowed to make mistakes like that.

Thanks for your reply though.
(edited 12 years ago)

I already have my grades. So basically i've probably not got the offer I thought I had for my second choice and it's looking unlikely i'll get one for my first :frown: That's fairly devastating, they shouldn't be allowed to make mistakes like that.

Thanks for your reply though.

They're only human and people do make mistakes sometimes.

Hopefully this will be an isolated incident rather than a whole batch of people getting the wrong email - there's been cases on results day before where a university sent out loads and loads of emails telling people they'd met their offer and were in, then it turned out these people were actually supposed to be getting an unsuccessful email so there was a lot of confusion when they checked track in the morning.

As I said, just wait and see what they reply to your query with - it might be faster to phone to ensure you're dealt with rather than the email getting put to one side then forgotten.
Reply 1985

It might also be something like they've got an unconditional offer because they've already got their grades and you don't or that they're an international applicant, as people from both of these groups tend to find out quicker than home students who are applying with predicted grades. Obviously I don't know what category you fit in, I'm just giving reasons.

So international candidates don't have to send predicted grades?
Original post by Arakhen
So international candidates don't have to send predicted grades?

International students enter predicted grades just like everyone else, except instead of school doing it, they do it themselves.
Reply 1987

Was it 'successful' on Track one day and the next day they changed it to 'unsuccessful'? Coz then Track is probably right, I can see why that would be devastating though. :console:

As for the other uni, I think it's just that they haven't gotten to reviewing your application yet.
STILL NO OFFERS :frown:

Sent application off 15th October. Nothing. Friend sent his off two days ago, gets an offer today.
Original post by Like a BAWS

Sent application off 15th October. Nothing. Friend sent his off two days ago, gets an offer today.

Some Uni's don't send out any offers until post the January deadline so I wouldn’t worry. At least that's what Durham and St Andrews claimed last year...
Original post by Tsuki
Was it 'successful' on Track one day and the next day they changed it to 'unsuccessful'? Coz then Track is probably right, I can see why that would be devastating though. :console:

As for the other uni, I think it's just that they haven't gotten to reviewing your application yet.

No I got an email from them on tuesday saying i'd been accepted and they would update track soon and today it was updated as unsuccessful. I'll call them tomorrow but it doesn't sound good :frown:
Reply 1991
OMFG!!! Just got an offer from Liverpool!!!!!"£!$312
Original post by Violet_apple
Some Uni's don't send out any offers until post the January deadline so I wouldn’t worry. At least that's what Durham and St Andrews claimed last year...

durham really? i looked at the applicants thread from last year and there were quite a few offers in november :confused:
Reply 1993
Got my third offer in three days, this time from Sheffield Hallam.

Absolutely delighted, Hallam is by far my favourite out of those I applied for. :biggrin:
Original post by Like a BAWS

I sent mine off almost two whole months ago, some time in September :frown:
Original post by 082349
If you're from the UK/EU, they'll take longer.

Oh, okay, that's reassuring! x
Reply 1996
I WANT A MAIL FROM UCAS NOW!!!! :please:

Best would be a mail with an unconditional offer. :colondollar:

I thought i'd update this just in case anyone else has similar problems, I called admissions this morning and they said that it had been entered incorrectly on track and I do have an unconditional offer so they'll change it to that now :biggrin:
Reply 1998
Got a letter with an acknowledgement from Abertay Dundee today . :smile:

So far:
1 offer and 3 acknowledgements
Reply 1999
Original post by strawberryjellybaby
Ha! Boarding school as well? My computer is on all throughout the day with email open with auto refresh so I don't get the panic of having to nervously open my email 3000 times a day.

Anybody else at boarding school find themselves staring at track constantly hitting refresh during prep? :K:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending