The Student Room Group

The "waiting for news is driving me crazy" uberthread 2011-12

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2100
Original post by Jabberwox
I'm not sure whether this is relevent to this thread but I'll post it here anyway: what happens if there aren't enough applicants for your course? Do they withdraw the course and make you choose another one? I'm a bit worried that this will happen to me as not many people do joint English and Psychology... :s-smilie:

As yours is a joint course they probably won't be running a specific course for you as such - you'll just join in with bits of each degree. So it won't matter if there aren't many people specifically, as you'll be sharing lectures.

For things like tutorials, small groups also don't matter as usually unis have those in small groups anyway. Most tutorials seem to have 5-10 people (although I've seen some people post on TSR about smaller groups!) so as long as your degree has that many it will be fine.

But if you actually look around uni prospectuses you will find degrees with an expected intake of not that many people. I remember when I was applying, something at Warwick only had around 5 places.

The other thing is that the less popular courses won't be run at as many unis, so although not many applicants want it they don't have too many courses to choose from. Someone posted on TSR a few weeks ago about a course that was only run by one uni. So even if there are only 10 people across the UK who want it, those 10 all going to one uni makes it viable.

It is possible that the uni will cancel a course, but unlikely. If they do you'll be able to use that space on your UCAS form for any course at any uni - essentially getting the choice again. Or in the case of joint courses the uni may say they can accept you for a straight course and you can do bits on the side.
I'm having a crisis D: i phoned up MMU to see when i should hear back because i applied over 3 weeks ago, and i was told they don't make offers on foundation years till february, and i phoned back just now to make sure they actually had received my application, and i was told they have stated making foundation year offers and it won't be long until i get a decision.

ahhhh D: what should i do?
Reply 2102
Original post by MutantGecko

Original post by MutantGecko
I'm having a crisis D: i phoned up MMU to see when i should hear back because i applied over 3 weeks ago, and i was told they don't make offers on foundation years till february, and i phoned back just now to make sure they actually had received my application, and i was told they have stated making foundation year offers and it won't be long until i get a decision.

ahhhh D: what should i do?

Stop bugging them and be patient
haven't had an acknowledgment from exeter. do they give them? had them for all my other unis. course is flexibile combined honours btw
Reply 2104
Original post by toofaforu
haven't had an acknowledgment from exeter. do they give them? had them for all my other unis. course is flexibile combined honours btw

Yeah, I got two emails within about a week of applying and a postcard within about two weeks! When did you send it? I'd give them a week or two, if not give them a call!
Just got an interview for Physics at University of York! Now I have 3 offers and 1 interview! Yay!
Original post by callmenighthawk
..to gain no advantage whatsoever, I hope you're 100% content with what you've chosen otherwise uh-oh..

aside from the fact that early applicants are more likely to obtain a place. Maybe you should read the newspaper once in a while.
Just got an offer from Chester for German and Business! :biggrin:
Reply 2108
Original post by sarahwarahbarah
I thought i'd update this just in case anyone else has similar problems, I called admissions this morning and they said that it had been entered incorrectly on track and I do have an unconditional offer so they'll change it to that now :biggrin:

Oh good for you, congrats! :biggrin: Maybe I'll even see you at Sheffield if I take up my offer, what did you apply for?
Original post by Elle408
Yeah, I got two emails within about a week of applying and a postcard within about two weeks! When did you send it? I'd give them a week or two, if not give them a call!

oh ok. i sent it on the 17th and got acknowledgments from all my other unis on the 18th. i'll give exeter a few weeks before i get worried or anything.
Waiting to hear back from Oxford and Bristol is killing me :frown:

Sent off my UCAS 6 & 1/2 weeks ago......approximately 45 days....

I have a bad feeling I'll be waiting on Bristol until February/ March though! Depressing times...

At least Oxford will probably tell me whether I have an interview or not in the next 2 weeks :s-smilie: although maybe that's one reply I really don't want to hear....

Good luck everyone, keep patient (unlike me)! :smile:
Original post by Niki_girl

I have a bad feeling I'll be waiting on Bristol until February/ March though! Depressing times...

Yeah I have a bad feeling I'll be waiting till then for St. Andrews and Durham :/ at least Cambridge have told me they're sending out decision letters Jan 4th :O
Original post by tgarrud
Yeah I have a bad feeling I'll be waiting till then for St. Andrews and Durham :/ at least Cambridge have told me they're sending out decision letters Jan 4th :O

Oh so do you definitely have a Cambridge interview then? *jealous* I doubt I'll get one for Oxford but the wait is really distracting me (e.g, I should be doing schoolwork rather than stalking TSR)...

GOOD LUCK I remember when you were on the Oxford thread (or at least I think it was you, applying for Biology type thing/ your real name is Tess?) :tongue:
Oh so do you definitely have a Cambridge interview then? *jealous* I doubt I'll get one for Oxford but the wait is really distracting me (e.g, I should be doing schoolwork rather than stalking TSR)...

GOOD LUCK I remember when you were on the Oxford thread (or at least I think it was you, applying for Biology type thing/ your real name is Tess?) :tongue:

Yes I do have a Cambridge interview :smile: it's in two weeks tomorrow haha scary times. I have a friend whos applied to Ox and hasn't heard any yet either :/ hopefully they'll get back to you soon.

Yeah I'm applying for Natural Sciences lol and wow how do you remember that? (lol yeah I am Tess)
Original post by tgarrud
Yes I do have a Cambridge interview :smile: it's in two weeks tomorrow haha scary times. I have a friend whos applied to Ox and hasn't heard any yet either :/ hopefully they'll get back to you soon.

Yeah I'm applying for Natural Sciences lol and wow how do you remember that? (lol yeah I am Tess)

I have a fairly good memory :smile:

YAY I'm so happy I remembered correctly! When you didn't reply immediately I thought I had got it wrong and you would be like :confused: "that's not me"...

Once again, good luck with Cambridge, my friend has an interview for medicine at Clare college - I really hope I hear back soon!
Waiting to hear back from Oxford and Bristol is killing me :frown:

Sent off my UCAS 6 & 1/2 weeks ago......approximately 45 days....

At least Oxford will probably tell me whether I have an interview or not in the next 2 weeks :s-smilie: although maybe that's one reply I really don't want to hear....

Good luck everyone, keep patient (unlike me)! :smile:

you should find out this week. last year i found out on the 26th, and i applied for history too. a lot of my friends found out on that friday, so i'd expect them to do the same this year and send them out on the 25th i guess.
you should find out this week. last year i found out on the 26th, and i applied for history too. a lot of my friends found out on that friday, so i'd expect them to do the same this year and send them out on the 25th i guess.

:eek3: Thank you for the information!

I REALLY hope to find out this week, but they could be "mean" and send out invites next week as the 26th this year is a saturday...fingers crossed for this friday then!

Hope you're enjoying studying History wherever you are :smile:
:eek3: Thank you for the information!

I REALLY hope to find out this week, but they could be "mean" and send out invites next week as the 26th this year is a saturday...fingers crossed for this friday then!

Hope you're enjoying studying History wherever you are :smile:

yeah maybe - i'm not sure what the college you applied to do, but i applied for Univ and they sent them all via email. i know my friend who found out the same day got it via email too.

and i actually applied for deferred ha, so i'm not anywhere (yet). applying again this year as i didn't get any offers i wanted last year... didn't go for oxford again though, didn't think i'd be able to do the HAT any more competent than i did last year....though i think i slightly regret that decision now!
yeah maybe - i'm not sure what the college you applied to do, but i applied for Univ and they sent them all via email. i know my friend who found out the same day got it via email too.

and i actually applied for deferred ha, so i'm not anywhere (yet). applying again this year as i didn't get any offers i wanted last year... didn't go for oxford again though, didn't think i'd be able to do the HAT any more competent than i did last year....though i think i slightly regret that decision now!

Ah, I applied for Worcester, I've heard rumours that it's a really "slow" college for responses, but that was just chat on here :tongue:

Sorry about last year (it was by all standards a pretty crazy year), but I'm sure you'll be happy wherever you end up eventually!

So where did you apply for this year? :smile:
I have a fairly good memory :smile:

YAY I'm so happy I remembered correctly! When you didn't reply immediately I thought I had got it wrong and you would be like :confused: "that's not me"...

Once again, good luck with Cambridge, my friend has an interview for medicine at Clare college - I really hope I hear back soon!

haha thanks, good luck to you aswell :smile:

Quick Reply