x

Unlock these great extras with your FREE membership

• One-on-one advice about results day and Clearing
  • Free access to our personal statement wizard
  • Customise TSR to suit how you want to use it

Failing resits?

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on
Rate your uni — help us build a league table based on real student views 19-08-2015
  1. Offline

ReputationRep:
    I am aware that Edinburgh allows you to sit an exam up to 4 times. But what happens if you fail the first august resit? (Specifically 2nd year) Is it common to be allowed to progress to 3rd year and sit the exam again in May or are you forced to take a year out and sit the may exam and continuing into 3rd year with the year below you? (I.e. so that you'd graduate a year later)
  2. Online

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrisruptor)
    I am aware that Edinburgh allows you to sit an exam up to 4 times. But what happens if you fail the first august resit? (Specifically 2nd year) Is it common to be allowed to progress to 3rd year and sit the exam again in May or are you forced to take a year out and sit the may exam and continuing into 3rd year with the year below you? (I.e. so that you'd graduate a year later)
    Depends on a number of factors. You may be permitted to proceed into 3rd year but be expected to resit the exam either in December or May (and you must pass). You may be forced to pause for a year. You may be asked to repeat year 2 (depending on your overall performance, etc.). Or of course, potentially, you may be moved onto an Ordinary degree. If you have (or believe you have) failed a resit, I would definitely raise this with the course organiser and/or your personal tutor.
  3. Offline

ReputationRep:
    It's possible you'll be asked to attend an interview with senior tutors in September to talk about what happened, and what your options are. Generally they try to work with you, rather than be punitive (at least in my experience), but you'll help your case if you come prepared with an explanation and any relevant supporting evidence. If you have grounds for claiming Special Circumstances, submit your claim by early next week (at the latest), before your school's Board of Examiners have met. I'd also contact the Advice Place, because they'll be in the best position to guide you.
  4. Offline

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrisruptor)
    I'm in the exact same position as you. If the course isn't mandatory to your degree and you fail the resit, they ask you to take extra modules in third year, providing you have the requirements for entry into honours for your degree major. Or that's what I've been told what will happen to me anyway
  5. Offline

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by racheland95)
    I'm in the exact same position as you. If the course isn't mandatory to your degree and you fail the resit, they ask you to take extra modules in third year, providing you have the requirements for entry into honours for your degree major. Or that's what I've been told what will happen to me anyway
    The course is mandatory and worth 20 credits but I passed the other progression hurdles (I.e. pass at least 50% of courses at 50% or above on first attempt). It was also only a marginal fail, so a few percentage points.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 27, 2015
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

New on TSR

Rate your uni

Help build a new league table

Poll
How do you read?
Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.