The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

The Edinburgh FAQ and 'Ask a Student' thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mikeandikes
Cool thread!

Does anyone else have any input on what the atmosphere/campus feel is like? I understand there isn't a campus really for humanities/art, but are there like grounds that a lot of people go to? Or are they just public parks?
Public parks/square.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 21
I think you probably know the answer already. To wit: probably.

If you can carry on that academic record, then an offer will be coming your way when you apply. Work experience is helpful, as is activity in your school's law society.

But remember that your course at Edinburgh is Scots law, not English law. If you want to practice in London, then an English law course might be easier.
GCSE grades, as far as I am aware, mean **** all beyond: bad, decent, good, very good. Your A-levels override them to the point where worrying about it is a waste of time and causes you unnecessary stress. I don't like that GCSE students feel pressured into choosing before they even get A-levels nowadays. You might change your mind before then.

As for that those're pretty decent. I got... eehhhh roughly about that level got into Royal Holloway no prob but unless it's Oxford I don't think most Unis pay attention to them.
Reply 23
So naive. GCSEs do, definitely matter. Just two examples are Bristol and Oxford. Bristol gives offers to people who score the highest in their own admissions system. GCSE's form part of this score, and A*s are given 5 points, whereas A's are given 4. For Oxford, if your GCSEs fall into the bottom 10% of those who apply that cycle, then you are expected to be in the top 10% in the LNAT.
Reply 24
first of all MY FIRST POST WOO!!!

hi Alioana. I'm in 1st year here up in Edinburgh just now, studying architecture :biggrin: In advance i'd like to apoligise for the massive amount of text coming up.

Schedule
basically the schedule for me consists of the following:

Mondays(Art and Design): lecture from 9am-10am, studio time 10am- 3pm (but its not fixed, you should wait till the tutor talks to you on what you are doing that week but you can leave when you want), Architectural History lecture 4pm-5pm
Tuesdays (Design Elements): same layout except the lecture and studio time will be for Design Elements instead. Arch history lecture 4pm-5pm
Wednesdays: No Formal Classes (woo) but you can go in if you want to get something done
Thursdays (Drawing Architectural History): 9-10 lecture, then studio time same as usual, including 4pm lecture
Fridays: (Design Element) no lecture, in from 9am until 4pm making a model, then you have to do a peer review of the models until 6pm (ouch).

Classes
Art And Design: Every Monday: working in a group (or individually later on). First 5 weeks you must research a given painting, and also a given architect. Additionally you need to represent the painting via a model, and link it in to the architect somehow. On week 5 you present the model in a 10 min presentation to the lecturers and rest of the students
Design Elements: Every Tuesday and Friday: Working in groups of 3, you must each produce 1 model each that all follow a common theme. Each week the models that are made must represent a design element such as ground, wall ,frame etc. On Friday from 4pm to 6pm you must have a peer review session where each model is analyzed and given feedback by both the tutors and fellow students. As a wee tip: Think Abstract ( we all made very literal ground models in the first week)
Drawing Architectural History: Thursdays: This focuses more on the technical side of the architecture course. In it you learn to draw the basics behind what I am told will later be architectural plans.
Architectural History:Monday, Tuesday and Thursday: From 4pm-5pm. This looks at the changing style and influence of architecture, starting with ancient civilizations such as Egypt and Greece, and moving through the medieval an the renaissance forward through time. (i prob shouldn't say this but many people -sometimes myself included- often sleep in these lectures :P)

Lecturers
Most of the lecturers are OK. they all have a firm grasp of the subject. But they have a few downsides, for example Giovanna can be a bit difficult to understand,as she can often mispronounce words, and Alex Bremner is very monotone. The Tutors are great aw well, they can sound a bit harsh but they are just trying to help... the only 'bad' tutor I've heard about is Jack -Ive heard the nicknames Angry Jack and Jack the Ripper being used- but the other tutor for the group is apparently quite nice (I'm in a different studio so this is all from what I've been told)

Application: Edinburgh does not ask for a portfolio (one of the few architecture courses that don't) but for more application info try: http://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/undergraduate/degrees?id=K100&cw_xml=degree.php

Portfolio: In the worst case where you are not accepted and you have to apply with a portfolio to somewhere like Dundee then here are a few tips
Mix Mediums: Use Different mediums to show you are comfortable with them.
Sketchbooks: As each sketchbook counts as 1 piece of a folio, they are great to show a wide range of drawings etc
Photos etc: It doesn't have to just be drawings and paintings. Use Photographs, make models, anything that will show your artistic diversity
Start NOW: I'm not kidding... get as much time to work and improve it as possible.
Reply 25
Just wanted to make sure? :tongue:
Yes.
Reply 27
Original post by Alt__x
Last year I got ABBBC in my highers. I am applying for business management and politics, and I am fairly confident of getting an offer in atleast three of my four choices right now. It says on the prospectus that the minimum requirements are BBBB, but then it says in the small print that students must have achieved, or be predicted to achieve atleast AAAA. Is there any point, or if I could convince my current teachers to predict me A's ( I am taking three more highers and an advanced higher) Would I stand any chance of an offer? Please be honest!!!

When I applied two years ago I had AABBC at Higher, which was at the lower end of the typical requirements at the time and I received an Unconditional. You're more likely to be offered a Conditional based on one or more of the exams you'll take this year. If your Personal Statement is very strong, there's no reason you shouldn't stand a chance.

Also, the website says 'Conditional offers will be made in the range of BBBB–AAAA (Highers)' which I assume means that if you have at least BBBB, which you already exceed, then you may be granted a conditional offer.
Does anyone have any insight into the language centre? Does it have any self-study resources for a lot of languages?
Reply 29
I am applying for either Law or Law and French this year.

I would like to know: is it possible to take all the subjects necessary to meet the requirement of the Law Society and the Faculty of Advocates while doing the Joint Honours in Law and French? Is it a lot more work than the normal LLB Law? What do you feel is the ratio of law:french work on the LLB Law and French course?

My other UCAS choices are all for Law and French Law so my personal statement doesn't make reference to French literature/history, only my general enthusiasm for French culture and the benefits of studying French law. Is that a problem?

Finally, for the 3rd Year abroad, is it usually possible to select your university of choice? Edinburgh has a partnership with Sciences-Po... it would be absolutely amazing to spend a year there.

Thanks for answering all my questions! :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 30
Original post by fawltyfan
I am applying for either Law or Law and French this year.

I would like to know: is it possible to take all the subjects necessary to meet the requirement of the Law Society and the Faculty of Advocates while doing the Joint Honours in Law and French? Is it a lot more work than the normal LLB Law? What do you feel is the ratio of law:french work on the LLB Law and French course?

My other UCAS choices are all for Law and French Law so my personal statement doesn't make reference to French literature/history, only my general enthusiasm for French culture and the benefits of studying French law. Is that a problem?

Finally, for the 3rd Year abroad, is it usually possible to select your university of choice? Edinburgh has a partnership with Sciences-Po... it would be absolutely amazing to spend a year there.

Thanks for answering all my questions! :smile:

Not usually, no. It's possible to take French courses along with Law, but doing the full joint Honours course will preclude you from going on to be a solicitor and advocate if you so wish. The second year of law has 11 courses, of which 10 are required to be a solicitor. To be an advocate you must do another on top of that - International Public Law.

It's usually simply not possible to do the required courses for French along with all the courses the Law Society requires. This is true with most joint honours courses in law. Even if it is, you'll be working very, very hard.

There's very little time to do more courses on top of all of those. But that doesn't stop you doing time abroad. A Friend of mine did a semester at Sciences Po in French law. She loved it. You do get to choose your university abroad if you choose to do the year.
Reply 31
Original post by NeoNerd
Not usually, no. It's possible to take French courses along with Law, but doing the full joint Honours course will preclude you from going on to be a solicitor and advocate if you so wish. The second year of law has 11 courses, of which 10 are required to be a solicitor. To be an advocate you must do another on top of that - International Public Law.

It's usually simply not possible to do the required courses for French along with all the courses the Law Society requires. This is true with most joint honours courses in law. Even if it is, you'll be working very, very hard.

There's very little time to do more courses on top of all of those. But that doesn't stop you doing time abroad. A Friend of mine did a semester at Sciences Po in French law. She loved it. You do get to choose your university abroad if you choose to do the year.

That's a shame - I would quite like to do French with it, but I don't see the point in getting a Scots law degree if you don't then have the option of going into the Scottish legal professions. Even though I have the intention of going down south to London after my degree it would be nice to have the option of becoming qualified in Scotland.

My other UCAS choices are to English universities for Law and French Law so I have a section on why I want to spend a year abroad studying French law. Would they be put off by this if I was to apply for the normal LLB Law?

How is it possible to take French courses without doing the Joint Honours?
Reply 32
Hi :smile: In general my problem is: I sent my UCAS application yesterday and I recieved an email with my MyEd username and passwords. I registered and everything is ok, but I've noticed there's a section about making an online application. So now, I'm really confused about what to do. Do I have to send this online application when I have already applied through UCAS? And what exactly is MyEd about?
Sorry for the questions but I'm an EU applicant and don't understand everything I have to do :colondollar:
Reply 33
Original post by fawltyfan
That's a shame - I would quite like to do French with it, but I don't see the point in getting a Scots law degree if you don't then have the option of going into the Scottish legal professions. Even though I have the intention of going down south to London after my degree it would be nice to have the option of becoming qualified in Scotland.

My other UCAS choices are to English universities for Law and French Law so I have a section on why I want to spend a year abroad studying French law. Would they be put off by this if I was to apply for the normal LLB Law?

How is it possible to take French courses without doing the Joint Honours?

Not necessarily put off, but you'll need to demonstrate that you actually want to go the university, not just the year abroad. As for doing French courses - Scottish universities are very flexible about this sort of thing. In First year law, there are 40 credits you need to make up. You can do French courses here. There are no spare credits in second year, but if you're very keen you can try to fit a French course in. Of course, there's a downside - you need to take Civil Law in first year to go on to advocacy, and that takes up the 40 credits.

I don't mean to discourage you, but how important is being qualified in Scotland to you? There's quite a sharp distinction between the jurisdictions. It takes at least another three years of work to qualify in Scotland. If you're planning on practicing in England, it's a big jump from Scotland, and you'll need to convert anyway. If you do plan on working in England, there's nothing stopping you from doing a Scots law and French degree, then doing the conversion.
Reply 34
Original post by NeoNerd
Not necessarily put off, but you'll need to demonstrate that you actually want to go the university, not just the year abroad. As for doing French courses - Scottish universities are very flexible about this sort of thing. In First year law, there are 40 credits you need to make up. You can do French courses here. There are no spare credits in second year, but if you're very keen you can try to fit a French course in. Of course, there's a downside - you need to take Civil Law in first year to go on to advocacy, and that takes up the 40 credits.

I don't mean to discourage you, but how important is being qualified in Scotland to you? There's quite a sharp distinction between the jurisdictions. It takes at least another three years of work to qualify in Scotland. If you're planning on practicing in England, it's a big jump from Scotland, and you'll need to convert anyway. If you do plan on working in England, there's nothing stopping you from doing a Scots law and French degree, then doing the conversion.

It's only one paragraph on the year abroad, the rest is on aspects of law which are relevant to both Scots and English law.

I see what you mean. I want to do the qualifying degree in case I change my mind and decide to stay in Scotland. But I will think about doing a non-qualifying degree with French.
Reply 35
hiyaa!, just about to send off my ucas form but im struggling to decide whether or not its worth applying to Edinburgh! I want to do Law and
i have: Modern Studies: A
Business Management: A
English: B
Maths: B
Biology: B

Im doing adv english, adv history, adv modern studies and higher sociology this year. i also have a contextual factor as none of my parents went to university however i am from one of the best state schools in scotland! anyone know my chance of an offer ?
Reply 36
When I applied two years ago, two people from my year got into law with AABBB and AABBC at higher. However, I did go to a LEAPs school which may have gone in their favour. I do know that when I had my LEAPs interview, I was told I probably wouldn't need any help getting in, and I don't know whether this applied to them too. Also, I don't know what the requirements to get in were then, but according to the website it's AAAA at higher without any contextual factors.

If your personal statement is good enough, then you might have a chance. It's just weighing it up with what other choices you have. If you have choices where you're fairly confident in getting an offer, then if you think you can afford a higher risk choice then go for it!
Reply 37
I got into law 4 years ago with AAABC. So go for it. Just be aware that it's a 85% rejection rate, so plenty of excellent candidates get rejected.
Reply 38
Original post by NeoNerd

Just for the benefit of other Law applicants, and to update NeoNerd, I spoke to a very helpful woman today at the UG Law admissions office who has particular responsibility for Joint Honours.

She said that they have 3 categories of Joint Honours in law: combinations which make it impossible to take all qualifying subjects; combinations where taking all qualifying subjects is difficult but possible; and combinations where taking all qualifying subjects is possible and recommended.

So it's good news in that if I go to Edinburgh I will be able to do Law and French while taking all the qualifying subjects - I sent them my application today. :smile:
hi :smile: hoping to apply for international relations. just wanted to ask how well respected the degree is? right now i'm trying to pick 2 from Sheffield, Exeter and Edinburgh for IR and they are all brilliant, so i'm trying to get more information :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest