The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

The Edinburgh FAQ and 'Ask a Student' thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lewis :D
Did you feel like you had enough time for a part-time job when studying at Edinburgh?

Yes.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 81
Original post by kateko
Hey im from Canada and got an offer in International Relations 2012, I wonder are students nice in the university to out comers? Im Asian.
Is there anybody study IR here... and recommendations for course prep? Is it a competitive course?

Edinburgh is a VERY international university, you'll have absolutely no problem fitting in, in that regard.

I don't study it myself but, from what I've heard from friends who do, IR is quite a competitive course. A lot of MEL students do joint honours with IR and MEL is once of the most difficult courses to get onto.
Reply 82
Original post by nearlyheadlessian
Yes.

Ok.
Reply 83
Hi!
I'm applying to take History and English lit in Edinburgh.
I was just wondering if anyone could give me an idea of what the course is like.
Thanks!
Reply 84
Original post by Lewis :D
Did you feel like you had enough time for a part-time job when studying at Edinburgh?

I have a part time job. Have done so throughout first year and first half of second year working around 14 hours a week.
Original post by BiscuitTin
Hi!
I'm applying to take History and English lit in Edinburgh.
I was just wondering if anyone could give me an idea of what the course is like.
Thanks!

Kiss

He should be able to answer :smile:
Reply 86
Original post by sandys1000

Thanks!
Reply 87

Sure will
Original post by Kiss
Sure will

Reply 89

(PM's are useful)
Hi there everyone i am new to the forums

Basically I want to know if I have chance of getting into Edinburgh University

The only doubts I have is that right now I am in 5th year and have only chosen to do 2 Highers this is because I only recently decided to go to university and it was too late to pick up on more Highers :frown:

Therefore I have chosen 5 Highers for 6th year and that will give me a total of 7:smile:

So if I was to achieve between AAAABBB to AAABBBB and had a strong personal statement and reference, what are the chances of me getting an offer for law, international business or accountancy.
Reply 91
If there are any current Edinburgh English Literature students here: When did you get your offer? What were the exact terms?
Reply 92
Original post by shadow2927

Original post by shadow2927
Hi there everyone i am new to the forums

Basically I want to know if I have chance of getting into Edinburgh University

The only doubts I have is that right now I am in 5th year and have only chosen to do 2 Highers this is because I only recently decided to go to university and it was too late to pick up on more Highers :frown:

Therefore I have chosen 5 Highers for 6th year and that will give me a total of 7:smile:

So if I was to achieve between AAAABBB to AAABBBB and had a strong personal statement and reference, what are the chances of me getting an offer for law, international business or accountancy.

If you were to get mostly/all As across all of the Highers in S5 and S6 then you'd be in with the same chances as everyone else (ie: they'd consider your application) -- basically, its a case of doing subjects next year that you'll be able to get really good grades in. Most Edinburgh students have AAAAA/AAAAB sort of grades from S5 meaning if you're doing your Highers over 2 years they will want to see achievement equal or higher to these students.
Reply 93
Original post by cmas123
If there are any current Edinburgh English Literature students here: When did you get your offer? What were the exact terms?

Well not entirely relevant, but when I got my offer for Spanish and English Literature, it was BBB and I got it in early Feb (this was for 09 entry).
Reply 94
Hi Guys,

Just had a question about admissions for mature students as I'm hoping to apply for Edinburgh in the next round of UCAS (2012-2013).

I wanted to know if there's any chance I'll actually get an offer- I'm a bit nervous that they'll reject me and I've set my hopes on going there...

I'm 22 (would be 24 by the time of starting), and didn't do too well in my A Levels. I started a degree when I was 18 and left after the first term (bad I know, but the course wasn't for me). I'm applying for English Lit and will do A levels in English Lit and Maths in the next few months and I'm pretty confidant I can get A's. I've already got ABC in Philosophy, Politcs and Physics respectively. I'm also doing a CELTA (cambridge teach english as a forgeign language course) to teach in China for 6 months next year, and have spent 4 years working in and managing theatres around the UK (don't know if this will be considered as beneficial?). Realistically do you think they'll consider me? I heard they're pretty strict and I hope my past won't go too badly against my application.

Any help would be appreciated as I'm sorting as this out by my self at the mo. :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 95
Original post by Oneirism
Hi Guys,

Just had a question about admissions for mature students as I'm hoping to apply for Edinburgh in the next round of UCAS (2012-2013).

I wanted to know if there's any chance I'll actually get an offer- I'm a bit nervous that they'll reject me and I've set my hopes on going there...

I'm 22 (would be 24 by the time of starting), and didn't do too well in my A Levels. I started a degree when I was 18 and left after the first term (bad I know, but the course wasn't for me). I'm applying for English Lit and will do A levels in English Lit and Maths in the next few months and I'm pretty confidant I can get A's. I've already got ABC in Philosophy, Politcs and Physics respectively. I'm also doing a CELTA (cambridge teach english as a forgeign language course) to teach in China for 6 months next year, and have spent 4 years working in and managing theatres around the UK (don't know if this will be considered as beneficial?). Realistically do you think they'll consider me? I heard they're pretty strict and I hope my past won't go too badly against my application.

Any help would be appreciated as I'm sorting as this out by my self at the mo. :smile:

I'm sorta-kinda a mature student. I did my undergraduate at Edinburgh, and I'm now doing my postgrad here. Since I was over 21 on starting I'm technically a mature student...

Anyway, English Literature is a competitive course, but too bad. I'm delighted to be able to say that the offer percentages rose this year across the board. 22.9% of English Lit applicants were made an offer, which is roughly comparable to Law. Last year it was 9.9%, so a big increase.

Tied into that is a high admissions criteria. Technically the minimum grades are BBB, but realistically, higher than that. If you can achieve AAABC over two sittings, this should be helpful.

Your past is by no means a hindrance to you - treat it as experience. If you dropped out of an Eng-Lit course at 18, then that might make them a bit cautious. Otherwise, just explain why it wasn't for you, and why you think Edinburgh will be. The CELTA course is excellent experience, as is managing theatres, if you tie it into the course. Perhaps mention that it kindled a love of drama?
Reply 96
Original post by cmas123

I'm awaiting a reply for that course too :smile: when did you apply?
Reply 97
Hi :smile:
My name's Laura and I'm hoping to study English literature at Edinburgh. If there are any current students here, I just had a few questions.
How many lectures and essays would you get in an average week?
Is there a lot of flexibility module-wise or are you stuck with learning the basics of literature (Beowulf and middle-ages..) in the first few terms?
How many students are there on the course?
Reply 98
Original post by Snapescape
Hi :smile:
My name's Laura and I'm hoping to study English literature at Edinburgh. If there are any current students here, I just had a few questions.
How many lectures and essays would you get in an average week?
Is there a lot of flexibility module-wise or are you stuck with learning the basics of literature (Beowulf and middle-ages..) in the first few terms?
How many students are there on the course?

There are 3 lectures a week, plus 1 tutorial (four hours per week in total) - this is the same in first and second years. According to the current handbook, first years do four essays and a close reading exercise spread out over two semesters (there used to be a take-home exam at Christmas instead of the close reading). As far as flexibility goes, everyone does EL1 and EL2 in first and second year. You'll spend the first semester getting a general background in basic literary theory and concepts, and then move on to a more general chronological overview of literature (no Beowulf though, sadly :smile:). They do Medieval to Restoration literature in first year, then progress up to Modernism in second. If you poke around on the website in the 'current students' section you should be able to access the lecture timetables, which are roughly the same now as they were when I started. There's much more flexibility in third and fourth years. Feel free to ask me any more questions.
Reply 99
Original post by Snapescape
I'm awaiting a reply for that course too :smile: when did you apply?

12th October, I think everyone's being kept waiting though :P

Quick Reply