The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

The Edinburgh FAQ and 'Ask a Student' thread

Scroll to see replies

Hi there

I was wanting to know what are the chances of me of getting a conditional to do Law or international business

in 5th year i got 2 A's at higher only did tow highers becuase of a late decision to go to university :frown:

this year i am doing 5 highers and am expected to get 2 A's and 3 B's

which should give me AAAABBB :biggrin:
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Original post by Static.
There are 3 lectures a week, plus 1 tutorial (four hours per week in total) - this is the same in first and second years. According to the current handbook, first years do four essays and a close reading exercise spread out over two semesters (there used to be a take-home exam at Christmas instead of the close reading). As far as flexibility goes, everyone does EL1 and EL2 in first and second year. You'll spend the first semester getting a general background in basic literary theory and concepts, and then move on to a more general chronological overview of literature (no Beowulf though, sadly :smile:). They do Medieval to Restoration literature in first year, then progress up to Modernism in second. If you poke around on the website in the 'current students' section you should be able to access the lecture timetables, which are roughly the same now as they were when I started. There's much more flexibility in third and fourth years. Feel free to ask me any more questions.

Thank you! That was very useful :smile: I'm surprised at how few lectures/tutorials there are in one average week. I guess you do most of the research by yourself but are tutors available if you have any queries? What I mean to say is, we're not completely left to our own devices, are we? :P Also, just wondering, I read somewhere that it was possible to do modules from another course at Edinburgh University, like French for example. Is this true? Again, thanks for your help :smile:
Reply 102
It's highly unlikely, if they do expect a condition of 4As or more this year.
Original post by Snapescape
Just wondering, I read somewhere that it was possible to do modules from another course at Edinburgh University, like French for example. Is this true? Again, thanks for your help :smile:

Absolutely, indeed you have to. EL1 will be one of your courses, you'll have to select two others in first and second year. See http://www.drps.ed.ac.uk/11-12/dpt/utenlit.htm :smile:
Reply 104
any PG students here ?
Basically, i have an offer for M Sc in High Performance Computing, any insight on the job prospects after the course would be really helpful.

Thanks
Hey guys,

I'm applying to MSc in Artificial Intelligence. I've sent off the application over a week ago. I got an application confirmation email but no details on how to access MyEd or any part of Edinburgh uni's web portal. Does any of this ring a bell for anyone, just want to make sure this is normal for Edinburgh's application process and can stop worrying about sending off the application, never mind getting an offer (which would be fantastic)

Thanks
Mike
Reply 106
Is it difficult to find a part time job at Edinburgh? And where to begin doing that, does University gives any support in this matter?
Reply 107
Original post by winten
Is it difficult to find a part time job at Edinburgh? And where to begin doing that, does University gives any support in this matter?

There always seem to be adverts for jobs, the harder part would be finding one that fits around your classes if you're doing something during the week. A lot of my friends have weekend jobs. The university have a Careers Service office who can help with sorting out your CV and cover letter, helping you look for jobs, and they also have a website with job adverts updated daily during the week.
Reply 108
Hey Edinburgh Law Students.
I was wondering what subjects you took at Higher and what grades you got in your 5th year, and whether you got a conditional or unconditional when you applied?
Thanks.
Reply 109
Original post by mrsnicket
Hey Edinburgh Law Students.
I was wondering what subjects you took at Higher and what grades you got in your 5th year, and whether you got a conditional or unconditional when you applied?
Thanks.

I took 5 Highers - English, Philosophy, Physics, History and Maths. Got AAABC. Unconditional offer. That was coming up on 5 years ago, which makes me feel old...
Reply 110
Hi all. I'd like to study at Edinburgh next year but I heard student statifaction wasn't so good. Is it true ?
Especially for Mathematics/Economics students, how are the courses, teachers etc ? =)

In a clear cut, do you recommend the University of Edinburgh ?
Thanks !
Reply 111
Can start applying for accommodation now but I have no clue on whether to choose catered or self-catered?!
Can anyone share there personal experience pros/cons and preference please?
Reply 112
Original post by gpostleth
Can start applying for accommodation now but I have no clue on whether to choose catered or self-catered?!

Catered -

You'll stay in Pollock Halls. You have a room on a corridor. You will share a common-area between a group of rooms around you. Mostly, the bathrooms are shared but there are en-suite rooms. Food is not fantastic. You get Breakfast and dinner, but no lunch. The food isn't bad, but it gets repetitive very quickly, and is fairly mediocre. It's also served at set times.

Self-catered -

You'll stay in one of many locations around the city. You'll have a room in a self-contained flat. These flats are usually between four and twelve people - most are around four or five. Each flat will have shared bathroom/s and a shared kitchen/living area. Food is obviously what you make of it.

Catered is not the best way to start your 'independent' life. Having lived in Pollock, self-catered, private flats, self-catered abroad and spent a lot of time in returners accommodation - I feel qualified to comment. I would save my money and stay in self-catered, catered is VERY expensive.
Reply 114
Original post by NeoNerd

Original post by nearlyheadlessian
I would save my money and stay in self-catered, catered is VERY expensive.

Thankyou, I'm leaning towards self-catered, it's just the flats being single sex putting me off, but the whole block of flats is mixed sex so people will be more likely to mix?
Thankyou, I'm leaning towards self-catered, it's just the flats being single sex putting me off, but the whole block of flats is mixed sex so people will be more likely to mix?

You're as likely to mix as you are to mix. If you go out looking for people and make friends, then you'll meet people. If you stay hidden in your room then you won't meet anyone. That works the same way whether you stay in catered or self-catered!
Reply 116

People can be awful or great to live with regardless of whether they're the same sex or opposite sex to you.

Whether you get on with your flatmates will have nothing to do with whether they're a guy or a girl, it will be down to whether they are good flatmates in terms of being considerate/thoughtful/clean/responsible and generally good people to live with. Whether they then become your friend is another matter and as has been said, then whether you make friends is completely up to you - these could be people from your flat or they could be people from other flats. I had a very positive experience and ended up staying very close friends with my first year flatmates all of the way through university and we're still friends now two years after graduating, whereas other people have flatmates whereby they get on fine in terms of living together but everyone has different friends beyond the flat so then they lose touch once first year is over. I really would remove the single sex aspect from your thought process as it literally means nothing and regardless of whether its a mixed flat or single sex it will still be a gamble and entirely dependent on the people you end up living with, nothing of which can be determined by their gender. I've lived with some brilliant girls and some awful girls I'd never wish on anyone. I've also lived with some fantastic guys and similarly, some damn awful boys who I'd never wish on anyone else.
Reply 117
Had a couple of questions for current students etc... I have an unconditional offer to study English Lit starting in September, planning on accepting! :smile:

Could you help me understand the credit system a bit better? I've looked it up, and so far I have gathered that the main course (e.g. ENLI1) is worth 40 credits, then you can take a further 80 credits worth of other courses to make a total of 120 for the year... but in terms of hours, does each 40 credit course equate to about 4 hours a week for Arts subjects? So a total of about 12 contact hours for the whole week, for all 3 courses?

Regarding accommodation... I get the impression that self-catered is all-round a better deal, financially and if you don't much like having your meal type/times decided for you, but speaking to some friends of mine at uni at the moment, I have been told that catered halls are far more sociable, get to know a huge variety of people at meals which is important in first year, as you find who you connect with best.... and if you end up in a small S/C flat, you could end up only really getting to know that handful of people... I'm often not very proactive in making friends, so I think perhaps catered may be a better choice in that respect? What do you think?
Reply 118
Original post by gkb
Had a couple of questions for current students etc... I have an unconditional offer to study English Lit starting in September, planning on accepting! :smile:

Could you help me understand the credit system a bit better? I've looked it up, and so far I have gathered that the main course (e.g. ENLI1) is worth 40 credits, then you can take a further 80 credits worth of other courses to make a total of 120 for the year... but in terms of hours, does each 40 credit course equate to about 4 hours a week for Arts subjects? So a total of about 12 contact hours for the whole week, for all 3 courses?

Regarding accommodation... I get the impression that self-catered is all-round a better deal, financially and if you don't much like having your meal type/times decided for you, but speaking to some friends of mine at uni at the moment, I have been told that catered halls are far more sociable, get to know a huge variety of people at meals which is important in first year, as you find who you connect with best.... and if you end up in a small S/C flat, you could end up only really getting to know that handful of people... I'm often not very proactive in making friends, so I think perhaps catered may be a better choice in that respect? What do you think?

According to my lecturers, 10 credits should be about 100 hours of work, including lectures, tutorials, etc. The amount of contact hours vary on the subject. I'm not an arts student, but all my 10 credit courses have 2 one hour lectures and a tutorial every week. Look up your course here and you'll see for English lit 1, you have 3 hours lectures a week and then tutorials will be on top of that. It will be different for different courses, so best thing is to look up the modules for yourself.
Reply 119
Original post by Ronda
According to my lecturers, 10 credits should be about 100 hours of work, including lectures, tutorials, etc. The amount of contact hours vary on the subject. I'm not an arts student, but all my 10 credit courses have 2 one hour lectures and a tutorial every week. Look up your course here and you'll see for English lit 1, you have 3 hours lectures a week and then tutorials will be on top of that. It will be different for different courses, so best thing is to look up the modules for yourself.

Sure... so does that mean that it's sort of 60 credits in 1st Sem., 60 in 2nd? The English course is 40 for the whole year, so effectively 20 in the 1st Sem., choose 2 'other' courses worth 20 each to fill up the timetable for semester?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending