The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

The Edinburgh FAQ and 'Ask a Student' thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by gkb
Sure... so does that mean that it's sort of 60 credits in 1st Sem., 60 in 2nd? The English course is 40 for the whole year, so effectively 20 in the 1st Sem., choose 2 'other' courses worth 20 each to fill up the timetable for semester?
Yes. 20 credit Courses are over 1 semester, 40 credit courses are over two semesters. Not familiar with 10 credit courses as I never had one.

The university encourage you to have an even 60-60 split in each semester to balance the workload - I think there was also a minimum amount of credits to be taken in each semester as well though (to stop people doing all their 4th year courses in one semester and their dissertation in the other). Can pose a problem as 20 credit courses either run in semster 1 or 2 but they don't run in both so you might find that courses you really want to do clash/too many credits in one semesters and the spare courses in the other semester are less appealing. This is true of 3rd/4th when you're limited to courses from your degree subject but many of them can be taken in 3rd or 4th year so if you miss it in 3rd year, you can take it in 4th year instead.
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 121
Original post by gkb
Sure... so does that mean that it's sort of 60 credits in 1st Sem., 60 in 2nd? The English course is 40 for the whole year, so effectively 20 in the 1st Sem., choose 2 'other' courses worth 20 each to fill up the timetable for semester?

In most cases, yes, 60 in each semester. Some people do have cases where the courses they want to take would mean doing 70/50 or 80/40, but in a lot of cases most DOS's would advise you you pick something else to allow for 60/60.

But yeah, generally you would pick two more 40 credit courses, as they would last for the full year. Or pick four 20 credit courses, with two in semester 1 and two in semester 2. Or a mixture between them.
Reply 122
Original post by ninja-lewis
Yes. 20 credit Courses are over 1 semester, 40 credit courses are over two semesters. Not familiar with 10 credit courses as I never had one.

The university encourage you to have an even 60-60 split in each semester to balance the workload

Cool, I think I get it now.. I was seriously panicking about the idea of doing 120 credits a term! haha ... thanks.

Original post by Ronda
In most cases, yes, 60 in each semester. Some people do have cases where the courses they want to take would mean doing 70/50 or 80/40, but in a lot of cases most DOS's would advise you you pick something else to allow for 60/60.

But yeah, generally you would pick two more 40 credit courses, as they would last for the full year. Or pick four 20 credit courses, with two in semester 1 and two in semester 2. Or a mixture between them.

Thanks.. I think I've found some 20 credit ones in the online list you linked me earlier that look cool... I was trying to find as many eng lit related ones as possible, only ones I could see were the normal enli1 course and an eng language course for 20... guess it leaves room to try my hand at a really wild subject for the 3rd 20 credits!
Reply 123

Original post by gkb
Thanks.. I think I've found some 20 credit ones in the online list you linked me earlier that look cool... I was trying to find as many eng lit related ones as possible, only ones I could see were the normal enli1 course and an eng language course for 20... guess it leaves room to try my hand at a really wild subject for the 3rd 20 credits!

There's also Scottish literature, plus some other literature based courses focusing on the literature of a particular religion or culture in the school of LLC if you wanted to keep everything along a similar lines or otherwise popular options tend to be a language course, social sciences or some history modules.
Reply 124
Original post by oxymoronic
There's also Scottish literature, plus some other literature based courses focusing on the literature of a particular religion or culture in the school of LLC if you wanted to keep everything along a similar lines or otherwise popular options tend to be a language course, social sciences or some history modules.

You're not allowed to take both Scottish literature and English literature (unless you're enrolled on the English and Scottish literature joint honours degree to begin with).
Is it possible to change your preferences for accomodation if you visit the university after applying for accomodation? I only ask because the deadline for some of the bursaries is the 2nd of April, but the open day is the 4th April, and I know that at some universities you can edit it after.

EDIT: ignore that, misread several different pages on the website :facepalm:
(edited 12 years ago)
at the post-offer visit days, are most of the different accomodation places available to view?
Im looking at unis for when i apply at the end of the year and i really like the look of edinburgh! Can anyone who's a student there tell me what the city's like, does it have a night life and just is it a good uni?! Im looking to study philosophy there!:smile:
Original post by kayleigh.jean
at the post-offer visit days, are most of the different accomodation places available to view?

They're spread out all over the city, so I wouldn't have thought so.
Reply 129
Hi, I'm going to be studying accounting and finance in September and I was wondering if anyone knows if it is be possible to take a language, for example Russian ab initio, in addition to the course?
Thanks!
Original post by Meerkat11
Hi, I'm going to be studying accounting and finance in September and I was wondering if anyone knows if it is be possible to take a language, for example Russian ab initio, in addition to the course?
Thanks!

It's definitely allowed; you just have to be sure there isn't a timetable clash.
Reply 131
Hey, I got an offer to study Economics and Philosophy course.
So i wonder if there are anybody who actually studied this course and know what teaching is like? Also if there are many international students studying it and was it hard for them?
thank you :smile:
Hi, I'm definitely coming to Edinburgh this September to study Archaeology, however, I'm wondering if I'll be able to take Geography as an outside course? Archaeology is part of the Arts and Social Sciences department, and Geography is handled by the Science and Engineering department so I wasn't sure if you could only pick outside courses from the same department, it would be the MA I'd want to do, not the Bsc. :smile: many thanks. :biggrin:
Reply 133
Hey, I'm Planning to come for the MSc in High Performance Computing this september.
Anyone else coming for the same course.
anyone who has completed the course ?
get in touch.
Reply 134
Original post by Ocarinaoftime
Hi, I'm definitely coming to Edinburgh this September to study Archaeology, however, I'm wondering if I'll be able to take Geography as an outside course? Archaeology is part of the Arts and Social Sciences department, and Geography is handled by the Science and Engineering department so I wasn't sure if you could only pick outside courses from the same department, it would be the MA I'd want to do, not the Bsc. :smile: many thanks. :biggrin:

Yeah, you can do whatever you want essentially, as long as it fits with your timetable.

I did first year geography alongside my anthropology degree :smile:
Reply 135
Can someone explain to me the degree system? I understand the first 2 years don't contribute towards your degree you just have to pass them.. so do we take the degree we've applied to do and then choose other degrees to study in the first 2 years?
Reply 136
Original post by gpostleth
Can someone explain to me the degree system? I understand the first 2 years don't contribute towards your degree you just have to pass them.. so do we take the degree we've applied to do and then choose other degrees to study in the first 2 years?

If you do a four year Honours degree, the first two years don't contribute to your classification, no. You do need to pass them, and most schools will require you to pass with at least 50% to get into Honours.

You generally do the same subject throughout your degree. So you'll start a law degree, and continue that. But Edinburgh has a very flexible approach to your first two years. If you want to do something in your first year or second year, you can generally do it if it fits in.
Reply 137
Anyone studying / has studied the Classics and English Language programme in University of Edinburgh ? Is it good ?
Owning a bike in the city of Edinburgh, yae or nae? What facilities at Pollock Halls are available for storage, if any? Same for KB?
Original post by Oromis263
Owning a bike in the city of Edinburgh, yae or nae? What facilities at Pollock Halls are available for storage, if any? Same for KB?
Quite a few people do - it's not Oxford or anything like that. Information on the uni site -http://www.ed.ac.uk/schools-departments/transport/cycling

Beware Edinburgh is pretty hilly! Pollock is actually about the same elevation as Kings Buildings but between the two there's a big valley in Newington so it's downhill and then uphill again.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending