The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

The "I've applied to Edinburgh for 2012 entry" chat thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 2060
Original post by star9005
Well, it's the Coca-Cola indeed. I'm a Romanian citizen, but Hungarian as ethnic origin.. never mind. Important is, I heard that lots of Romanians and Bulgarians are attracted by this scholarship, which is pretty obvious why (no tuition fees+a generous maintenance grant).

Hah, fellow Romanian here :P Nice to meet :smile:
I'm thinking of that scholarship too but I'm not hopeful. Actually right now I'm not hopeful about an offer, either.
But I guess if we don't hear anything by the 25th or so, we can just call admissions and figure out a way.

What are you applying for anyway?
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Original post by Grimalkin

My PS wasn't dazzlingly written, but it did include a lot of stuff I though would be good; I'm bilingual, which I used to go to Peru (after working for a year to save the money) and do an EPQ on independent research. I also attended plenty of taster lectures, read plenty of books, wrote my opinions of the books with analysis, did a history based work experience, and do D of E Gold.

I dunno, maybe I wrote it too flatly.

Oh, and thanks, I did ask for feedback, but I only heard back from them today, so I guess it'll take a while.

Sounds like you're in exactly the same situation I was in with St Andrews. I've 4As and predicted A*A*A*A*, done physics work experience at the UCL and am returning for a personal research project in summer, I attended a week long physics summer school, did an Open University physics course on Astronomy, along with lectures and the like, and apparently I hadn't done enough related to my course. Sometimes they just get it plain wrong, which kinda sucks. :frown:
Original post by teoevy
Hah, fellow Romanian here :P Nice to meet :smile:
I'm thinking of that scholarship too but I'm not hopeful. Actually right now I'm not hopeful about an offer, either.
But I guess if we don't hear anything by the 25th or so, we can just call admissions and figure out a way.

What are you applying for anyway?

I'm applying for MA Geography. How about you?
Reply 2063
Has anyone else come to absolutely detest the word "pending"?
(edited 12 years ago)
Ahh I see, yes that's a good idea! I love Edinburgh city, the architecture is beautiful and I love the atmosphere, you'll soon see for yourself though! You should definitely go exploring around the city after the open day too and familiarise yourself

I went to the Science and Engineering day with my friend and we got to see the Pollock halls which is the catered area, from what I gather it's like a bunch of houses make up Pollock halls, it's not just one building I don't think, although all of these houses are together? I haven't looked too much into that as I'm gonna go for self-catered - too fussy when it comes to food! :P

oh deffo! I'm going up on the sleeper train, so I'm going to have all morning! aha love a bit of early morning rambling!

ahhhhhhh I see! Will have to look into it further! Nah I'm not majorly fussy, but it's like student life being self-catered! + I don't want to pay for food whichi i might really dislike!
Original post by itssdj
Has anyone else come to absolutely detest the word "pending"?

I hate it too! Hate checking ELUCID 5 times a day for a blank box:mad:
'Your Application is Pending Our Decision.'

This should convey how I am feeling:

Spoiler

Reply 2067
Waiting is killing me. KILLING! I applied for 2nd year biological science entry as I'm just taking a gap year from Aberdeen Uni but decided I don't want to go back there. This wait is awful.
Original post by Firecrackerchild
oh deffo! I'm going up on the sleeper train, so I'm going to have all morning! aha love a bit of early morning rambling!

ahhhhhhh I see! Will have to look into it further! Nah I'm not majorly fussy, but it's like student life being self-catered! + I don't want to pay for food whichi i might really dislike!

Are you coming up alone?!? I don't think I'd be brave enough to come up from the South of England alone :eek:
I think I like the look of self catered cause instead of making millions of friends you'll meet say 6/7 close friends which I prefer. :tongue: Some people from my school went to Edinburgh and I think they all went self catered and seem to be going out a lot and loving it! :biggrin:
Reply 2069
Just got an email from Edinburgh re my application and they have had a technical issue. They said that most applicants should now hear within 7- 10 days. This was from the college of science and engineering.
Original post by whylime
Just got an email from Edinburgh re my application and they have had a technical issue. They said that most applicants should now hear within 7- 10 days. This was from the college of science and engineering.

I feel for you, I really do. What course again? I know of 2 physics offers that went out yesterday, that's it.
Reply 2071
Original post by whylime

Can you post the email? This is crap :frown:
Reply 2072
Thank you for your email. Unfortunately there has been a small delay due to a technical issue but we are now putting decisions through the system. We anticipate that the process should be complete for the majority of applicants in 7-10 days.

If you have any further queries please do not hesitate to get in touch.

This is the email I was sent. It was in reply to one I had sent them asking when I would possibly hear something.
Reply 2073
[

I am applying for the MChem.
Original post by whylime
[

I am applying for the MChem.

Interesting, I do well at Chemistry but I couldn't abide taking it to degree! ^_^

Have you looked into side modules? If so what looks interesting to you? I'm thinking Geophysics and some form of CompSci (Informatics I think it's called at Edi, or at least that's the closest to it) along with my Th.Phys course. Cannot wait, and I really hope they get their system sorted soon! Best of luck.
Reply 2075
Thanks. Ugh. This sucks :P I wonder if decisions have been made then? If we phone I wonder if they can tell us?
Original post by jaay89
Thanks. Ugh. This sucks :P I wonder if decisions have been made then? If we phone I wonder if they can tell us?

Someone earlier in this thread came up with the idea, by interpreting the emails sent to them, that they wanted to finish decisions by the end of February, meaning they would know who they wanted, apart from a few spaces, and then begin processing and sending these over the next 2 weeks, which appears to be what's happening.

So it is completely possible that they have decided whether or not to offer a place to each individual, but now they have to input all of these decisions into their system and UCAS etc.
My application status went blank :eek:
Original post by Firecrackerchild

Make sure you get a drink in the bar on the train - one of my favourite bars in the country! If you're looking for breakfast when you arrive I recommend many places, but would probably plump for Peter's Yard (google it for details).
Original post by nearlyheadlessian
Make sure you get a drink in the bar on the train - one of my favourite bars in the country! If you're looking for breakfast when you arrive I recommend many places, but would probably plump for Peter's Yard (google it for details).

I certainly enjoyed the bar last time I was on it - middle of the Christmas holidays and the heating was broken in our carriage. Took their time sorting it out although we did get berths in the end so it turned out good. :biggrin:

Quick Reply