The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

The "I've applied to Edinburgh for 2012 entry" chat thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
I've applied for Japanese :smile:

Am I the only one who did not realise that they call a BA "MA" in Scotland? I almost swallowed my tongue when I first logged into MyEd, I thought I'd applied for a Masters course!
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 161
I've applied for a BSc in Biological Sciences (Plant Science)! :3
Original post by norma.d
I haven't applied yet, but I am considering applying! It's so weird that so many people started applying already! I set up my UCAS but that's about it. Most people in my school haven't even done that! Though i live in Hong Kong.. so the deadline for us is like December 12th?

Anyway I am considering applying for Modern Languages. Not sure which yet, but definitely Spanish and Italian/French/German/Russian.

I filled out my app but have yet to write my personal statement and am from the US. Don't worry, you're not the only one who hasn't submitted it late.
Reply 163
People are telling me that Edinburgh won't make decisions until March :frown: This is freaking me out... Can't imagine it's still 5 months until I find out whether I have an insurance!! Will it be earlier for international students? Given the fact that they give out offers for almost everyone who's qualified...
Original post by Rei_Rei
I've applied for Japanese :smile:

Am I the only one who did not realise that they call a BA "MA" in Scotland? I almost swallowed my tongue when I first logged into MyEd, I thought I'd applied for a Masters course!

You're not the only one. :P I thought it was a four-year masters course haha. :tongue:
Reply 165
Hi everyone,

First of all, let me just say that I am new to this forum. I am currently a university student in Gothenburg, Sweden, studying software engineering, but I am not very much satisfied with my course. So, for a while now, I have been thinking about trying my chances in Edinburgh.

I have an International baccalaureate Diploma, containing the following:

4 in SL Hungarian A1,
5 in SL English A2,
6 in HL Geography,
6 in HL Chemistry,
5 in HL Physics,
7 in SL Mathematics,
1 extra points,

Overall 34 points.

I would like to apply to one of the engineering courses, which require "32-37 points, with HL Math and Physics at grade 5 and something else at HL at grade 5".

Since my grades aren't completely good-looking, I have applied for retakes this May. Also I did not have HL Math, which is a requirement, so I am taking that as well. My new predicted grades given by my school are the following:

4 in SL Hungarian A1,
6 in SL English A2, (to be retaken)
6 in HL Geography,
6 in HL Chemistry,
6 in HL Physics, (to be retaken)
6 in HL Mathematics, (to be retaken)
2 extra points, (TOK Essay to be rewritten)

Overall 36 points.

Now, I have written an Email to the admission office of the University of Edinburgh, and they specifically said, that the "would give me an offer with the revised points but, since I will have done the exams in two sittings, the threshold at which they would accept me would be higher than if I had done the exams in only one sitting."

My question is: is anyone, who is familiar with the matter, able to tell me, what chances I have this way? The 32-37 grade range is not very specific. And I don't know how hard it would be to get in otherwise. Since I have to do the exams again, I feel very much passionate about my studies now, I believe I could achieve 38 points for sure, maybe 39, with HL Math and Physics being both 7s. But I do not know whether this would be enough. Or whether all would be lost if I had only gained 37. And so on. So I am wondering, what chance do I have, as an EU IB students with scores ranging from 36-39, with all specific subject requirements met, to get into Engineering at the University of Edinburgh?

Thank You very much for your answers. If you are someone with sufficient information for me, would you consider writing me an email? it's [Removed - please reply here or use PMs] , thank you! :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 166
Original post by Schlegel
People are telling me that Edinburgh won't make decisions until March :frown: This is freaking me out... Can't imagine it's still 5 months until I find out whether I have an insurance!! Will it be earlier for international students? Given the fact that they give out offers for almost everyone who's qualified...

Are you applying as an intl applicant? Where did you see/hear that even intnl applicants dont hear until March. Last year, in TSR, UCAS 2011 decisions thread, so many internationals got their decisions quite early.

When did you apply to Edinburgh and what is the course and your stats?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 167
Original post by mpc1
Are you applying as an intl applicant? Where did you see/hear that even intnl applicants dont hear until March. Last year, in TSR, UCAS 2011 decisions thread, so many internationals got their decisions quite early.

When did you apply to Edinburgh and what is the course and your stats?

Yeah I'm an int'l applicant. I applied on Oct 12th for philosophy and politics. Don't know any int'l who applied, but Edinburgh seems to have got a notoriety for being slow around me... Hope I hear soon! :smile:
Reply 168
Original post by norma.d

Original post by norma.d
I haven't applied yet, but I am considering applying! It's so weird that so many people started applying already! I set up my UCAS but that's about it. Most people in my school haven't even done that! Though i live in Hong Kong.. so the deadline for us is like December 12th?

Anyway I am considering applying for Modern Languages. Not sure which yet, but definitely Spanish and Italian/French/German/Russian.

Nice to see a fellow Hong Kong applicant. :smile: Your school seems a bit slow though - my school's deadline was last week, and my application got sent off before that deadline.

Going through IB hell as well?
Woot just got my offer a few days ago for MPhys Astrophysics at Edin! Offer was 34 pts overall and 6, 5, 5 at HLs! I'm really excited right now because I've always wanted to attend Edinburgh. Can't wait! Anyone else applying there as an overseas student? If so, does anyone know about any scholarships (the tuition they charge is REALLY high)?
Reply 170
Any med applicants?? :smile:
Original post by hawkingchampion
Woot just got my offer a few days ago for MPhys Astrophysics at Edin! Offer was 34 pts overall and 6, 5, 5 at HLs! I'm really excited right now because I've always wanted to attend Edinburgh. Can't wait! Anyone else applying there as an overseas student? If so, does anyone know about any scholarships (the tuition they charge is REALLY high)?

http://www.ed.ac.uk/schools-departments/student-funding/undergraduate/international

Pretty unlikely to get a scholarship from the university - there really aren't many at UG. The tuition isn't really that high.
Reply 172
I'm applying to sociology at Edinburgh but I was thinking of applying for the sociology&economics degree as well. If my personal statement is all about sociology (since that's the course I'm applying to for the other universities) will I probably not get into sociology&economics?
Reply 173

Congratulations. When did you apply and when was the offer made? Was it an unconditional offer? Is it a 4 year degree or a 5 year degree?

Wow, Edinburgh has started making offers already?

Did you apply as an international applicant? and did the offer come via track update and my ed?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 174
Original post by Schlegel
Yeah I'm an int'l applicant. I applied on Oct 12th for philosophy and politics. Don't know any int'l who applied, but Edinburgh seems to have got a notoriety for being slow around me... Hope I hear soon! :smile:

Are you a first time applicant or re-applicant?

Goodluck with your offer.
Reply 175
Applying for Law and Politics!! Probably won't get in, but it is a risk I'm willing to take lol
Reply 176
Original post by Ras93

Original post by Ras93
I'm applying to sociology at Edinburgh but I was thinking of applying for the sociology&economics degree as well. If my personal statement is all about sociology (since that's the course I'm applying to for the other universities) will I probably not get into sociology&economics?

Apply for just sociology then if you get an offer and decide to come to Edinburgh just take economics as an outside course in first year and swap your degree to it. If you haven't mentioned economics at all then you will not get an offer.
English and History- I really want to get in to Edinburgh more than anywhere, really :pirate:

Original post by mpc1
Congratulations. When did you apply and when was the offer made? Was it an unconditional offer? Is it a 4 year degree or a 5 year degree?

Wow, Edinburgh has started making offers already?

Did you apply as an international applicant? and did the offer come via track update and my ed?

Thanks! I applied on Oct. 14 (right before the Oxbridge deadline XD) and got the offer (conditional with 34/45 and 6, 5, 5, at HL) on Oct. 20. This was to study MPhys (5 years) Astrophysics.

EDIT: Oh, and I applied as an international applicant (Canadian) using the IB Diploma. I received word from track first and then 3 days later got a message in my ed.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 179
Thanks! I applied on Oct. 14 (right before the Oxbridge deadline XD) and got the offer (conditional with 34/45 and 6, 5, 5, at HL) on Oct. 20. This was to study MPhys (5 years) Astrophysics.

EDIT: Oh, and I applied as an international applicant (Canadian) using the IB Diploma. I received word from track first and then 3 days later got a message in my ed.

That was very quick. What was your point of entry ? Guess you had marked it as 1 in UCAS meaning you start the course from the first year?

what are your predicted IB scores?

Heard some internationals also get unconditionals ?
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending