The Student Room Group
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh

The "I've applied to Edinburgh for 2012 entry" chat thread

Scroll to see replies

Offer For History :smile: AAA.

Just out of curiosity, Edinburgh say they'll ask AAA-BBB; has anyone been offered a BBB or atleast lower than AAA. (Unconditionals not included) :smile: Just wondering.:smile:
Student at University of Edinburgh
University of Edinburgh
Reply 1941
Can somebody help me with this?

Just out of interest I looked up "Ucas Extra" and found out that they have free spaces for my course although I was turned down because of too many applicants? I am very confused now! :/

Also, I was thinking if my chances would change if I was too change to French and Business Studies? I have thought about that for a while, but I saw that Business Studies and French and French and Business Studies are different courses? :confused:

Can anybody help?
Original post by eprysehawkins
Offer For History :smile: AAA.

Just out of curiosity, Edinburgh say they'll ask AAA-BBB; has anyone been offered a BBB or atleast lower than AAA. (Unconditionals not included) :smile: Just wondering.:smile:

Congratulations on your offer! Is it your firm?

There have been quite a few people on this thread who have had BBB offers.
Original post by Charlesworth
Congratulations on your offer! Is it your firm?

There have been quite a few people on this thread who have had BBB offers.

Ah lucky people with BBB Offers!! Tehe.

Yeah i'm pretty sure im going to. Have you been offered? Are you firming? :smile:
Original post by alaska.
Can somebody help me with this?

Just out of interest I looked up "Ucas Extra" and found out that they have free spaces for my course although I was turned down because of too many applicants? I am very confused now! :/

Also, I was thinking if my chances would change if I was too change to French and Business Studies? I have thought about that for a while, but I saw that Business Studies and French and French and Business Studies are different courses? :confused:

Can anybody help?

Extra is an opt out thing.
If universities do not let UCAS know then they will be listed in Extra regardless of whether they have places or not. In the first few weeks in particular the Extra listings are not very reliable as universities haven't bothered to tell UCAS that they have enough applicants and want out of the Extra listings. This is why applicants MUST contact a university in advance to check whether the course actually is in Extra.

Edinburgh have never been in Extra since it begun in 2006 (other than for the graduate law course) so it would be unlikely that they will be in it this year although like we've said, there do seem to be fewer applicants this year given how quick replies have gone out so it could be a possibility but I certainly wouldn't count on it purely because its on the UCAS listings.
Reply 1945
Original post by 1platinum
Are you serious?!? Congratulations! :smile: What are the conditions?

Thanks! Ehm AA at any higher (:
Reply 1946
Original post by jenny24
Well done! that's great :smile: and also means my school of geoscience reply could be on it's way >:smile:

Did you just get your offer tonight?

Thank you!

No I actually got mine back on the 11th of Januray..but I just discovered this thread (:
Ah lucky people with BBB Offers!! Tehe.

Yeah i'm pretty sure im going to. Have you been offered? Are you firming? :smile:

No, I am still waiting for a reply from Edinburgh. If I do get an offer though, it will probably be my insurance.
Original post by theguru
Thanks! Ehm AA at any higher (:

Is that hard? I don't know what that means; I'm doing A levels. Did you apply for the BSc?
Original post by Charlesworth
No, I am still waiting for a reply from Edinburgh. If I do get an offer though, it will probably be my insurance.

Nice, where's your firm?
Original post by theguru
Thank you!

No I actually got mine back on the 11th of Januray..but I just discovered this thread (:

That's well over 6 weeks ago! Do Scottish applicants hear back first?
Reply 1951
Is that hard? I don't know what that means; I'm doing A levels. Did you apply for the BSc?

No its not bad (:.

In scotland we sit 5 highers in 5th year - i did badly.

This year I've taken on a big workload, but my predicted grades were very good and I guess my application managed to convince them! :tongue:
Reply 1952
That's well over 6 weeks ago! Do Scottish applicants hear back first?

I was so surprised to get an offer that early!

I'm not sure why I heard then, I don't know anyone else in my school with an offer from Edinburgh yet. I must have just been lucky - top of the pile etc.

I sent away my application just before christmas :smile:
Original post by theguru
No its not bad (:.

In scotland we sit 5 highers in 5th year - i did badly.

This year I've taken on a big workload, but my predicted grades were very good and I guess my application managed to convince them! :tongue:

What subjects are you taking?
Original post by theguru
I was so surprised to get an offer that early!

I'm not sure why I heard then, I don't know anyone else in my school with an offer from Edinburgh yet. I must have just been lucky - top of the pile etc.

I sent away my application just before christmas :smile:

So did I and I haven't heard! :frown: Your application must have been amazing.
Reply 1955
What subjects are you taking?

I'm taking Advanced higher biology and geography, higher maths, chemistry and french. Predicted 4A's and a B in advanced biology.

And with regards to your other post; thanks - I am incredibly lucky to have worked in an earth science lab for 5 weeks over the summer. That may have given my application something extra :colondollar:.

But Edinburgh in general take ages to reply anyway - you could easily get an offer at the end of march from them!
Original post by theguru
I'm taking Advanced higher biology and geography, higher maths, chemistry and french. Predicted 4A's and a B in advanced biology.

And with regards to your other post; thanks - I am incredibly lucky to have worked in an earth science lab for 5 weeks over the summer. That may have given my application something extra :colondollar:.

But Edinburgh in general take ages to reply anyway - you could easily get an offer at the end of march from them!

Lucky you! How did you get 5 weeks work in an earth science lab? What were they doing? It sounds amazing. :smile:
Reply 1957
Lucky you! How did you get 5 weeks work in an earth science lab? What were they doing? It sounds amazing. :smile:

It was a Nuffield bursary at Glasgow Uni. I was working on a current research project which was involved in working out where the glacier extended to in Britain during the last ice age. Actually a LOT of chemistry, then a written report which I presented in Edinburgh (: it was an unbelievable opportunity, and what convinced me to go for geology!

Plus, you also get paid so I didn't have to worry about a summer job :cool:
Original post by theguru
It was a Nuffield bursary at Glasgow Uni. I was working on a current research project which was involved in working out where the glacier extended to in Britain during the last ice age. Actually a LOT of chemistry, then a written report which I presented in Edinburgh (: it was an unbelievable opportunity, and what convinced me to go for geology!

Plus, you also get paid so I didn't have to worry about a summer job :cool:

Sounds awesome, you definitely firming Edinburgh?
Nice, where's your firm?

Cambridge - providing that my results go well next week!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending