The Student Room Group
Our Student Central, Northumbria University
Northumbria University, Newcastle
Newcastle-upon-Tyne

Northumbria Applicants for 2012

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lily92
Are there special events during freshers to allow those living at home to get to know people?

Hello there,

All of the events are open to anyone but there is nothing specific for local people to get to know each other. Freshers week has many activities and things to do that allow you to meet other people so don't worry :smile:

Leanne
Our Student Central, Northumbria University
Northumbria University, Newcastle
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Original post by Care-Free
Hi, i've just tried applying for accomodation (late! i know!) but got a bit confused :tongue: Firstly, i'd like to apply for rothbury court but it isn't on the list, do i just put the coach lane campus?
and also, i want to apply for clapham house but how do they know i want the self catered room as opposed to the single student flat? or do i not get a choice?

Thankyou :smile:

Hello there,

I will forward your question onto our accommodation team and should hopefully have a response for you soon.

Best wishes,

Leanne
Original post by Shnoon
Hi, I've been told my course for Primary Education starts on the 10th Sept but I can't find anywhere that states the fact completely, is this true and if so will we be able to move into the accommodation on that date?
Thank you

Hello there,

I can confirm that the course will start on the 10th. With regards to your accommodation, I advise that you email [email protected] with your query and they should be able to help you more specifically.

Hope this helps,

Leanne
Original post by lily92
Anyone living at home next year? Will we be loners in freshers week?

Don't worry, there will be lots of people in the same position as you! I didn't live in student accommodation when I started Northumbria University but still made friends during freshers week. Just make sure you get yourself involved! When you meet your course mates, arrange a night out or a drink in the Students' Union.

Leanne :smile:
Original post by Care-Free
Hi, i've just tried applying for accomodation (late! i know!) but got a bit confused :tongue: Firstly, i'd like to apply for rothbury court but it isn't on the list, do i just put the coach lane campus?
and also, i want to apply for clapham house but how do they know i want the self catered room as opposed to the single student flat? or do i not get a choice?

Thankyou :smile:

I have spoken to the accommodation office and they have said that Rothbury Hall comes under Coach Lane Campus rooms are limited at this location and are generally allocated to Health or Teaching course students who are based at Coach Lane.
If you apply for Clapham House you will be allocated a single room within a shared single sex flat where possible based on availability.

Self contained studio flats are allocated based on availability rather than by particular residence. (this is a different selection in the drop down menu ie: En-suite studio)

I hope this helps!

Best wishes,

Leanne
Original post by Northumbria University
I have spoken to the accommodation office and they have said that Rothbury Hall comes under Coach Lane Campus rooms are limited at this location and are generally allocated to Health or Teaching course students who are based at Coach Lane.
If you apply for Clapham House you will be allocated a single room within a shared single sex flat where possible based on availability.

Self contained studio flats are allocated based on availability rather than by particular residence. (this is a different selection in the drop down menu ie: En-suite studio)

I hope this helps!

Best wishes,

Leanne

Ah, thats wonderful thankyou :smile:
Reply 286
Hi,

I've accepted an offer to study for a postgrad course, and I got the results for my BSc that I needed last week - I was just wondering if I need to do anything now?
Original post by hooooover
Hi,

I've accepted an offer to study for a postgrad course, and I got the results for my BSc that I needed last week - I was just wondering if I need to do anything now?

Hello there,

Can you send me your name and the course you have applied for so that we can look into things for you.

Thanks,

Leanne Radford
Hi! I was just wondering with regards to bursaries and finance within Northumbria; do we have to apply to the Uni or will it be sorted through student finance? I have applied and been accepted for the usual finance, but I can't see anything from Northumbria on there and I believe I should be eligible.
So, how does it work? I've looked on the uni website but can't see anything to do with applying :')
Original post by SophylaReserve
Hi! I was just wondering with regards to bursaries and finance within Northumbria; do we have to apply to the Uni or will it be sorted through student finance? I have applied and been accepted for the usual finance, but I can't see anything from Northumbria on there and I believe I should be eligible.
So, how does it work? I've looked on the uni website but can't see anything to do with applying :')

Your Student Finance application is used to determine if you are eligible, so you don't have to apply seperately. The funds come from the university and not through Student Finance England which is why it won't appear on your breakdown from them. Providing that in the bit of the Student Finance application which asks if they can share your details with your uni you selected 'yes' then you will get the bursary.

Northumbria University Website
Eligibility to receive a Northumbria Bursary will be determined when each student applies for one or more elements of the government's Student Finance Package (Tuition Fee Loan, Maintenance Loan and Maintenance Grant) and will be means-tested annually.

http://www.northumbria.ac.uk/brochure/courses/fees/home/ftugbs/
Reply 290
Original post by StacFace
Your Student Finance application is used to determine if you are eligible, so you don't have to apply seperately. The funds come from the university and not through Student Finance England which is why it won't appear on your breakdown from them. Providing that in the bit of the Student Finance application which asks if they can share your details with your uni you selected 'yes' then you will get the bursary.

http://www.northumbria.ac.uk/brochure/courses/fees/home/ftugbs/

Thanks! I think I did that :tongue:

(Please ignore typos, I'm on my phone :colondollar:)
Reply 291
Applied whilst on a gap year, so got an unconditional offer to do Law/Law exempting. My accommodation is also sorted at Quay Point, just have to wait for the start date now! :smile:
When do you pay a deposit on accommodation & is there a deadline for applications?
does anyone kow what time Northumbria tend to update track on results day? I dont trust myself not to check at like 6am and freak out if it hasnt changed :tongue:
Original post by bethany18
When do you pay a deposit on accommodation & is there a deadline for applications?

You put the deposit down once you are offered a place, this won't happen until your offer is unconditional (eg you have your results and are definately going there). There isn't a deadline but the later you apply the less chance you have of either getting in the accommodation you want or even getting into accommodation at all. I would strongly advise applying for accommodation now if you have either an unconditional, firm or insurance offer.
You put the deposit down once you are offered a place, this won't happen until your offer is unconditional (eg you have your results and are definately going there). There isn't a deadline but the later you apply the less chance you have of either getting in the accommodation you want or even getting into accommodation at all. I would strongly advise applying for accommodation now if you have either an unconditional, firm or insurance offer.

Thank you! So I can apply now but dont have to pay the deposit until August if I get in?
Thank you! So I can apply now but dont have to pay the deposit until August if I get in?

Yes, you'll get an offer of accommodation somewhere between results day and 28th August if you get in. Then you have a week from when they make that offer to pay the deposit.
Yes, you'll get an offer of accommodation somewhere between results day and 28th August if you get in. Then you have a week from when they make that offer to pay the deposit.

Thank you, I'm confused as to why people already know their flat number etc. have they already paid the deposit?
Thank you, I'm confused as to why people already know their flat number etc. have they already paid the deposit?

That's people who have unconditional offers, they might have done A levels last year and had a gap year or for some other reason already have their results. Therefore they've got their offer earlier and paid their deposits earlier too.
Reply 299
How much is the deposit?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending