The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Being Gay

Scroll to see replies

Reply 240
Original post by mmmpie
Straw man. Masturbating in public is not permitted for reasons other than personal taste.

All you're saying is that you don't like it, and you're more important, so people must cater to your taste. In fact, you're saying that quite explicitly.

Why do you think everybody should conduct themselves so as not to offend your sensibilities, hmm? What makes you so important?

It's not that I feel important, many people get offended by gay people making out in public. Why is it so much to ask for them to do it in private? When you give rights to one group of people you often restrict rights to another.

Original post by henryt
As mmmpie points out, perhaps if you dislike it so much, you should make an effort to shield your eyes? Maybe not go out in public yourself? Glad that's settled.

So instead of confronting the problem I should just shy away from it and ignore the issue?
Reply 241
Original post by DYKWIA
It's not that I feel important, many people get offended by gay people making out in public. Why is it so much to ask for them to do it in private? When you give rights to one group of people you often restrict rights to another.

But you aren't giving rights, are you? You're taking them. You're restricting the rights of other people, for no actual reason: that's why it's such a big deal to ask them to do it in private.
Reply 242
Original post by DYKWIA

Original post by DYKWIA
So instead of confronting the problem I should just shy away from it and ignore the issue?

Unless you can seriously come up with an argument that means the infringement of the rights of a section of society is justifiable, yes. Otherwise it's discrimination. On a practical level, it wouldn't really be an enforceable law even if it were passed.

I'm not supporting public displays of affection (whether between men and men, women and men, or women and women), I generally don't like them either. But it's their choice to show their affection, and it's not negatively impacting my life, as long as it's not indecent. I mean, I just walk past, maybe think 'Get a room', and then forget about it.
Original post by DYKWIA

Yes. In what sense is asking them to stop not masochistic? If I were you and saw a gay couple kissing and didn't like it, I wouldn't prolong my uncomfortableness by walking toward them (looking at them the whole time, given that you actually look where you're going) and then getting a closer look as you get nearer to them, then actually being directly in front of them watching. Sounds a little masochistic.

Also, let's assume that I don't like to see girls hanging out in groups of more than 3. By your logic I should ask them to stop being together in such large groups every time I see such a group, without actually offering any reason other than 'I don't like it.' The reason we as a society aren't whinging about everything we see in public to the people we're bothered by is that we can actually deal with our uncomfortableness. Just man up and stop acting like your personal comfort is the most important thing.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by DYKWIA

I don't like looking at straight people kissing in public? Does that mean they should stop. No. It's fair enough if you don't like looking at it but it really isn't impacting anything to do with your life.... You can look away you know?
Reply 245
Original post by mmmpie
Gay panic is not a defence. Hasn't been for a long time.

Doesn't have to be gay panic. Some people, particularly those on the autistic spectrum, get very stressed about being touched (as they can be very sensitive to touch). Doesn't matter if that person is day or not.

The use of disproportionate force is not self defence, it's why bumpkins aren't allowed to shoot trespassers. That's been the case for a long time too.

Well, it does depend on the circumstances of course. There are cases when shooting a person isn't disproportionate (there have been a number of cases recently, in Salford particularly, where the homeowner has shot and killed a burglar and the CPS decided not to pursue the case). If the intruder is unarmed, and running away (as was the case with Tony Martin in the 90s) then you're likely to face a sentence. If the intruder is armed, and threatens your family, and you shoot them in the leg it can be a different matter.

And if he knows aikido then he knows how to incapacitate someone without breaking their arm.

That's true.
Reply 246
Original post by DYKWIA
Would you say the same thing about people masturbating in public then?

Oh for goodness sake, talk about a fallacy. Seriously.

Masturbation is seen as being a private and sexual act. Kissing isn't. If a heterosexual couple engaged in public masturbation they would (rightly) be arrested.

How on earth does kissing in public teach kids "the wrong thing". What, that loving and being affectionate to another person is wrong?

The difference is that I dislike seeing gay people kissing, so they should go somewhere else and do it. There's nothing stopping them from moving somewhere private.

Why should they, just because you feel uncomfortable about it? It's your problem. I wouldn't expect a heterosexual couple to kiss in private. There are a number of things I don't feel comfortable with but I have no right to tell people to not do such things.

Would you say the same about two lesbians kissing?
Reply 247
Original post by DYKWIA

And why should I shy away from people like you?
Reply 248
Original post by PeaceFreak
And why should I shy away from people like you?

'people like me'? And just what are you getting at?
Reply 249
Original post by DYKWIA

People like you = homophobes, people whose views are still in the past.
Reply 250
Original post by DYKWIA

People who like you who view people like me as different.
Reply 251
Original post by Lewis :D
People like you = homophobes, people whose views are still in the past.

I'm not a homophobe, despite what you say. It's just that most of the gay people I know don't like me. I have nothing against gays in general though.

Original post by PeaceFreak
People who like you who view people like me as different.

But you are different?
Original post by DYKWIA
I'm not a homophobe, despite what you say. It's just that most of the gay people I know don't like me. I have nothing against gays in general though.

They probably don't like you because you are a homophobe...? Look back at some of the stuff you say.
Original post by DYKWIA
I'm not a homophobe