The Student Room Group

What exactly do people mean by 'Hard Work'? when it comes to getting A*s at Alevels?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by louisa17
I'm at the University of Southampton :smile:

Hi there, I'm just doing my A levels at the moment and am hoping to study Mechanical Engineering. My highest choice (in terms of entry grades and in league tables) is Southampton but something just didn't seem right to me on the open day. Do you think if I get an offer, I should ignore that and go because of its engineering reputation rather than the actual campus?
Original post by ginger_biscuits
I had four essay-based A levels to work for, and it was my ambition to get straight A*s. I worked unbelievably hard, and got A*s all through the year, but when it came to the exams I worried so much and worked so much that I tired myself out completely. So, in the end I only got A*AAA, which was great, but not what I wanted. So my advice would be to work hard, fully understand everything you're taught- but don't go into overdrive/ get obsessive !!

That's what I did except I got 3 Cs when I was aiming for A/B grades. I'm going to avoid that this year though :biggrin:
Reply 22
do what you feel is hard work. If you can work 5 hours without getting tired, then that's not hard work for you (just a silly example lol). I hope you get what I mean, so basically, just work hard - if it doesn't feel hard, you're not working hard enough, hope you understand that or you may be falling into the trap of leaving it to the last minute...
Original post by CraigKirk
In addition to everything already said, it unfortunately also means a lot of understanding of exam technique. You can go into exams these days with brill knowledge, but if you interpret the question of the exam wrong then you'll lose the mark, simply as. I think that's quite outrageous, but there it is.

This means LOTS OF PAST PAPERS.

Boo.

EDIT: I'd also add just for clarity, A* students don't aim to just scrape an A*. They intend to fully understand every topic and be able to apply every topic logically to new scenarios. They don't dismiss a particularly hard or apparently irrelevant part of the course for any reason. They aim for 100% in every exam and also read around for further knowledge and opportunity to develop on that studied in the course. I do, at least... It's the best way of securing a damn good grade really.

This. I always collapse in exams despite knowing everything
Reply 24
Practicing exam technique. Practice makes perfect.
To be honest, I'm doing a lot of what everyone is saying, I'll still only just scrape my AAAB predictions if I'm incredibly lucky...
Reply 26
Original post by Trichomania
I got an A* in politics without doing any extra work, and barely doing the work in class. Sometimes it just happens.

Not a good way to advice the OP now is it? :rolleyes:
Original post by sgeorge11
i mean everytime i posted somethings about me aiming for the top grades at alevel, most comments i get are that it takes hell of a hard wok to do so. so what do they mean hard work as in? study a lot of hours? concentrate??? what?:s-smilie:

Look at notes after each lesson, practice questions based on them notes, and read around the subject
Reply 28
Original post by IcedTea&PotNoodle
Hi there, I'm just doing my A levels at the moment and am hoping to study Mechanical Engineering. My highest choice (in terms of entry grades and in league tables) is Southampton but something just didn't seem right to me on the open day. Do you think if I get an offer, I should ignore that and go because of its engineering reputation rather than the actual campus?

I've got some people in my halls who are doing Mechanical Engineering. The course is supposed to be very good.

If you can put your finger on what it is that you don't like about the campus then feel free to PM me. You won't have seen the whole campus on an open day, it could be that what "wasn't right" was that you didn't see something you expected to see. And remember that there is much more to Southampton than what is on campus. Contrary to what you may believe you don't have to spend much time walking around campus, you can literally just go there for lectures/labs.

But if a place just doesn't feel right and you think you might be unhappy there then you shouldn't go there on the basis of reputation.

Hope that helps
Original post by louisa17
I've got some people in my halls who are doing Mechanical Engineering. The course is supposed to be very good.

If you can put your finger on what it is that you don't like about the campus then feel free to PM me. You won't have seen the whole campus on an open day, it could be that what "wasn't right" was that you didn't see something you expected to see. And remember that there is much more to Southampton than what is on campus. Contrary to what you may believe you don't have to spend much time walking around campus, you can literally just go there for lectures/labs.

But if a place just doesn't feel right and you think you might be unhappy there then you shouldn't go there on the basis of reputation.

Hope that helps

I'm not really sure, I was comparing it a bit too much to my other university choices. I didn't like any of the accommodation that I saw. And as for the actual campus It just didn't seem right to me, I can't really give an exact reason why. Apart from the actual Southampton area which I loved, The one big positive was those curly fries they were selling in one of the cafe/restaurants. But don't worry, I won't make my university choice based on the quality of their shaped deep fried potatoes. And thank you for your advice.
Original post by *Hakz*
Not a good way to advice the OP now is it? :rolleyes:

Well it's true. I don't really like the way everyone's telling the OP that the only way to get top grades is to stress yourself into a stomach ulcer, to be honest.. Sometimes people just get them.
Well it's true. I don't really like the way everyone's telling the OP that the only way to get top grades is to stress yourself into a stomach ulcer, to be honest.. Sometimes people just get them.

You don't have to do these things with stress. I got my A*s with no stress during the exam period that could be attributed to my studies.

I guess this means that another good piece of advice for the OP would be that they should keep a good balance between social, academic and (potentially) work life.

Of course, if you can just get them, then good for you! :tongue:
Original post by CraigKirk
In addition to everything already said, it unfortunately also means a lot of understanding of exam technique. You can go into exams these days with brill knowledge, but if you interpret the question of the exam wrong then you'll lose the mark, simply as. I think that's quite outrageous, but there it is.

This means LOTS OF PAST PAPERS.

Boo.

EDIT: I'd also add just for clarity, A* students don't aim to just scrape an A*. They intend to fully understand every topic and be able to apply every topic logically to new scenarios. They don't dismiss a particularly hard or apparently irrelevant part of the course for any reason. They aim for 100% in every exam and also read around for further knowledge and opportunity to develop on that studied in the course. I do, at least... It's the best way of securing a damn good grade really.

This is great stuff - and knowing the specification for your exam(s) back to front of course.

Bizarrely though, this stuff never seemed to produce results for me. Yes, I'm at Cambridge, and the work level is pitched just right, but if I were forced to take A-levels even now I could not get an A* or even guarantee an A, I'm fairly sure. Exam boards seem to me to practise a bit of a black art. But most of you seem to know how to play it, so it really is just me :smile:

just posting to (try to) reassure those who are hitting the glass ceiling! Hopefully you can get better help and advice than I did.
Reply 33
Working hard means spending extra time doing work. Outside reading. Going over notes again and again. Studying as much as possible.
Reply 34

You have a point but if you think about it you'll see that subjects to subjects vary. You might be good at essay writing which is why you got A* with minimal effort but you might see yourself putting in more work for e.g. maths if you're not particularly good at it.
Hopefully you'll be given lots of homework tasks and past papers to gage where you're up to with your learning. Everyone needs to do different amounts of work to get the higher grades, however I did one hour per subject per day (so 4 hours in total) which worked for me, along with lots of revision near exam times, reading around the subject and just engaging in every possible task.

You'll find that if you make the most of your free periods at college you shouldn't have to kill yourself at home by working 4 hours a night. I found that I did two hours during the day, and then another 2 when I got home, meaning that I was free from 6 to have dinner and do my extra curricular activities.

Quick Reply

Latest