The Student Room Group

Who is more snobby - the rich or the poor

Poll

Who is more snobby?

Just what the title says really. Generally rich people are thought to be snobby and look down on the lower classes for being poor. But then some rich people also say that the poor are snobbish and judge rich people simply for having money.
What do people on here think?
Or is there no real conflict between the two nowadays?

Scroll to see replies

you have rich and poor people who don't really care, rich people who are snobby and poor people who do not like rich people.

Either way this isn't something you'd notice tbh. Very subjective. On that note, I would say there is little conflict.
it's not a case of who is snobbier... it's just a fact that there are snobby people in every walk of life ... rich, poor, whatever... snobbery isn't just about money either.. it's about fashion, art, music, education.. all sorts.
Reply 3
Original post by House Dagoth
you have rich and poor people who don't really care, rich people who are snobby and poor people who do not like rich people.

Either way this isn't something you'd notice tbh. Very subjective. On that note, I would say there is little conflict.

Good answer I guess... I'd agree but I'd say it also depends on what side of average you're on....I doubt many rich people would admit to being snobbish and vice versa. Personally I've encountered more snobbery coming from rich people but then, that's because I'm not rich so it could well be the same the other way round
You have a mixture of each.

Sometimes though, I think the worst snobs can be those who were born "poor" and became "rich".
Reply 5
Both can be snobby, but I think it is more common in poor people.
Definitely poor people. They are the reason for all problems in the world.
Reply 7
Original post by TheRealDarthVader
Definitely poor people. They are the reason for all problems in the world.

Lol I hope that's ironic
Rich people have better things to think about besides being snobbish like enjoying wealth.
I'm poor and I think I'm very snobby towards rich people. I went to Oxford uni and they all said things like 'Peasants' and took pictures of themselves with the big issue salesman. I looked down on this.

Me so snobby :biggrin:
Original post by abc:)
Lol I hope that's ironic

No. Poor people suck. I hate them.
there isn't a "both" button..... there shood be. coz everyone is in their own way, ya kno?
Reply 12
The rich. God I hate the rich, upper classes.

*Neg me if you must, but argue with you I shall.
Reply 13
It's down to the individual, I think I have seen both.
Original post by abc:)
Just what the title says really. Generally rich people are thought to be snobby and look down on the lower classes for being poor. But then some rich people also say that the poor are snobbish and judge rich people simply for having money.
What do people on here think?
Or is there no real conflict between the two nowadays?

Clearly the rich people can't all be snobs, else they wouldn't be going to Africah to spread AWAHNESS.
Reply 15
Original post by resentment.
The rich. God I hate the rich, upper classes.

*Neg me if you must, but argue with you I shall.

Envy is no less of a sin than greed.
Original post by Rascacielos

Sometimes though, I think the worst snobs can be those who were born "poor" and became "rich".

Yeah it's true. They get rich and famous and then their advice is, work hard and stay determined. Sprouting generic advice to the younger generation, when it's not as easy as that!
Can't say for certain, as it's politically incorrect for the rich to openly make judgements about the poor but it is socially acceptable for the poor to do it towards the rich.

So from an outsider perspective it can seem the poor are more snobby or discriminatory on the basis of class where as from the inside view the rich could be saying/thinking all sorts of things behind closed doors.

Either way, it's pitiful.
Reply 18
I definatley see far, far more classism coming from the poor than I do the middle and upper class. Now obviously that could be because I know far more of the working class, but still. Most middle class kids I know are fine, down to earth people, sure they have some snob value, they look down on primark and wear mostly JAck Wills, Joules, or whatever designer is choice in their style, but then, that is true of many of the working class aswell. Most middle class kids I know are somewhat unaware of their waelth, but not snobby with it, although I suppose that can be percieved as snobby. But I never hear them complain about poorer people. Which certainly cannot be said the other way around.

I constantly here torrents of complaints about 'rich kids' from the people at my school. About how they have no life experience, they're snobs! It's just not fair yadee yadda. Yes, they have a more priveldged life, get over it, it doesn;t make them inherently bad people. Honestly, it's like some people my age expect other people their age to say 'No Mum, I don;t want to go skiing this year, it's not fair on all of the kids who can;t go skiing.' It's just pathetic, classism based in prejudice and jealousy, this coming from a child of a working class family btw :wink:

Although my GF is middle class, so I might have some bias :ninja:
Reply 19
Original post by Rascacielos

Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude
Yeah it's true. They get rich and famous and then their advice is, work hard and stay determined. Sprouting generic advice to the younger generation, when it's not as easy as that!

That's because they feel justified in that they earned it. Assuming they didn't steal or cheat to get it, they did earn it, and they are justified.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending