The Student Room Group

Equilibria, Energetics and Elements (F325) - January 2012 Exam.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 620
Original post by racheatworld
72 for an A was the grade boundary for last-years June 2011 paper with the dreaded "Magic Tang" question. This paper was easier than that one so I don't think I will be 72 for an A, maybe around 76?

but then again people are gonna make silly mistakes...with workings...equations...and there were a few tricky questions in there. Im not too sure about grade boundaries :s-smilie:
Reply 621
Original post by Maple
Anode and Cathode, I'm getting so many different definitions for this. Can anyone simply tell me what the difference between the two are and the reactions that occur at the anode and cathode. :smile:

hmmm i memory isnt to good. but i think one reduces and and oxidises.
Reply 622
What did you guys for the lattice enthalpy? ~ -2506?
Original post by TheresaL

I remember getting something like -2024, :/
Reply 624
Original post by LGrosvenor101
I remember getting something like -2024, :/

ohh , um lets try and solve this. I multiplied the enthalpy change of atmosiation of Na by2 and err something else involving Na by 2.
ohh , um lets try and solve this. I multiplied the enthalpy change of atmosiation of Na by2 and err something else involving Na by 2.

I multiplied one thing by 2, but forgot to multiply the other -____- I've made so many little silly mistakes! -__- Not going to get my A :') bleh, heres to retakes! :L
Original post by Maple
Anode and Cathode, I'm getting so many different definitions for this. Can anyone simply tell me what the difference between the two are and the reactions that occur at the anode and cathode. :smile:

Oxidation occurs at the anode and reduction occurs at the cathode.
The more positive E standard value will be the forward reaction, this will be reduction and will be the positive terminal, and so occurs at the cathode, and a similar story for oxidation. Hope this helps :tongue:
Reply 627
I multiplied one thing by 2, but forgot to multiply the other -____- I've made so many little silly mistakes! -__- Not going to get my A :') bleh, heres to retakes! :L

Please bare in mind im not 100% right. Plus it was only 3 marks? so we'll get atleast 2/3 for working right?

Did you manage to do the final question? why kr2cr2o7 is more sutiable than mn04?
Please bare in mind im not 100% right. Plus it was only 3 marks? so we'll get atleast 2/3 for working right?

Did you manage to do the final question? why kr2cr2o7 is more sutiable than mn04?

I understand, but i remember that I only multiplied one of the sodium things by 2, not the other. :/ and no i didnt, I had a feeling it would be about the electrochemical values, but I was comparing them with the iron electrode, which didnt make sense, when I think that you had to compare them to the chlorine electrode :/ What did you write about why you cant predict the lattice enthalpy for Na2CO3, and why you cant say which of magnesium sulfide or sodium oxide (?) are more/less exothermic? :smile:
Reply 629
I understand, but i remember that I only multiplied one of the sodium things by 2, not the other. :/ and no i didnt, I had a feeling it would be about the electrochemical values, but I was comparing them with the iron electrode, which didnt make sense, when I think that you had to compare them to the chlorine electrode :/ What did you write about why you cant predict the lattice enthalpy for Na2CO3, and why you cant say which of magnesium sulfide or sodium oxide (?) are more/less exothermic? :smile:

i tried to compare the electrodes but the book says that the greater the difference in V the more likely? And Mno4 had the greater difference :frown:, totally baffled by that. Um i think i knew what it was but i couldn't put it into words. because Mn was more exothermic than Na but S was more exothermic than O. Heh Its because its impossible to form one mole of an ionic compound from its gaseous ions.
i tried to compare the electrodes but the book says that the greater the difference in V the more likely? And Mno4 had the greater difference :frown:, totally baffled by that. Um i think i knew what it was but i couldn't put it into words. because Mn was more exothermic than Na but S was more exothermic than O. Heh Its because its impossible to form one mole of an ionic compound from its gaseous ions.

Lol yeah :L I said that Mg is smaller than Na so has more attraction, but O is smaller than the sulfide ion, so O will have a greater attraction to the Na, so this will balance out. I also said that you can't atomise CO3- ions as it isn't in its standard state? I'm hoping thats right! To be honest, I don't mind retaking this unit, I prefer physical chemistry calculations compared to the more organic unit :/
Reply 631
Lol yeah :L I said that Mg is smaller than Na so has more attraction, but O is smaller than the sulfide ion, so O will have a greater attraction to the Na, so this will balance out. I also said that you can't atomise CO3- ions as it isn't in its standard state? I'm hoping thats right! To be honest, I don't mind retaking this unit, I prefer physical chemistry calculations compared to the more organic unit :/

ohh yeah standard states. i think i held my ground pretty well considering i only had 5 days to cover it ;P. I prefer physical chemistry also, lol but i would mind retaking this unit though, same goes with F324. Hope they are both finally dealt with :biggrin:. I'm trying to think what else bugged me. :confused:
ohh yeah standard states. i think i held my ground pretty well considering i only had 5 days to cover it ;P. I prefer physical chemistry also, lol but i would mind retaking this unit though, same goes with F324. Hope they are both finally dealt with :biggrin:. I'm trying to think what else bugged me. :confused:

Lol :L I got 90% in the mock, but I always do worse in the actual thing. Like I said, i don't mind retaking this unit so much, as I like the material :smile: and oh, so you've done F324 as well, how is it? :smile: I can't/don't want to think of anything else that bugged me, because I will worry otherwise :L
Reply 633
Lol :L I got 90% in the mock, but I always do worse in the actual thing. Like I said, i don't mind retaking this unit so much, as I like the material :smile: and oh, so you've done F324 as well, how is it? :smile: I can't/don't want to think of anything else that bugged me, because I will worry otherwise :L

Omg same here! reading these threads make me worry like hell. I try to avoid TSR unless i know i done Ok. i was getting mid A's when i did F325 mocks. I found F324 reasonable, the final question really got to me, How did you find it?
Omg same here! reading these threads make me worry like hell. I try to avoid TSR unless i know i done Ok. i was getting mid A's when i did F325 mocks. I found F324 reasonable, the final question really got to me, How did you find it?

I know, everyone is really smart on here. I would love an A, but only really need a B to get into Warwick, as long as I got 2As in Maths and another subject :L and I haven't done F324, my college have done it so we so F325 first and then F324 in the summer :s-smilie: Organic is not my best, so not looking forward to it :L But yeah, I was getting really high marks in the mocks, now its just like.... oh :L
Reply 635

I got -2520 i think :s-smilie:
Anyone else get that?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by ab12345
but then again people are gonna make silly mistakes...with workings...equations...and there were a few tricky questions in there. Im not too sure about grade boundaries :s-smilie:

How about 74 for an A. i think thats reasonable. what do u say??? :smile:

I got somehtin round about that value aswell :biggrin:
Reply 638
Original post by Fatima0065
How about 74 for an A. i think thats reasonable. what do u say??? :smile:

Im just wanting low grade boundaries tbh!
I need the UMS mainly :smile:
Original post by ab12345
Im just wanting low grade boundaries tbh!
I need the UMS mainly :smile:

lol we all do! :biggrin: x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending