The Student Room Group

TSR Squash

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Krish4791
Cheers :biggrin: The European Swing is part of the World Tour league which we fund and organise by ourselves, with the help of some coaches. It involves gaining membership at certain squash centres and organising squash league fixtures with local centre managers!

If you are doing a Round-Robin type format, yes I think it refreshes after all possible match-ups have finished

May I ask how much that kinda trip comes too?

Yeah, it is a round arrangement. It goes, 4|3|2|1| Prem. so hopefully, it won't be too long before I'm in 1/2. Apparently some people aren't much cop so I might get some confidence! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mr Bee
May I ask how much that kinda trip comes too?

Yeah, it is a round arrangement. It goes, 4|3|2|1| Prem. so hopefully, it won't be too long before I'm in 1/2. Apparently some people aren't much cop so I might get some confidence! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

For a first time trip, this would probably run up to £1000-£1500, but we've been doing it for a while and have reduced costs due to memberships that we've gained, so it's only around £400 for us - seeing as there are so many of us involved, this is virtually nothing per person lol! :smile:

Good luck with your squash - keep up your winning streak!
For a first time trip, this would probably run up to £1000-£1500, but we've been doing it for a while and have reduced costs due to memberships that we've gained, so it's only around £400 for us - seeing as there are so many of us involved, this is virtually nothing per person lol! :smile:

Good luck with your squash - keep up your winning streak!

Hi mate, sorry for the late reply. Oh, you win most of the games you play whilst on this tour?

Yeah, thanks :smile:
Original post by Mr Bee
Hi mate, sorry for the late reply. Oh, you win most of the games you play whilst on this tour?

Yeah, thanks :smile:

No probs, man. Yeah, I'm at the top of my game at the moment - age-wise, in terms of physical abilities, etc. This year has been quite good so far; I've lost 3 matches out of 44 played and I'm approaching the best part of the season for me, which involves 3 smaller tournaments in London over May/ June before travelling across to Australia for the 3rd major tournament of the year in July :biggrin:
No probs, man. Yeah, I'm at the top of my game at the moment - age-wise, in terms of physical abilities, etc. This year has been quite good so far; I've lost 3 matches out of 44 played and I'm approaching the best part of the season for me, which involves 3 smaller tournaments in London over May/ June before travelling across to Australia for the 3rd major tournament of the year in July :biggrin:

WHAT ON EARTH! You travel the world playing squash? HOW?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mr Bee
WHAT ON EARTH! You travel the world playing squash? HOW?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, to some extent - I mentioned this a while ago! Sponsorships and memberships cover the costs, we all have plenty of time on our hands seeing as most of us are already out of uni. Plus, it's not usually just about playing squash - it's about travelling the world, visiting places, etc. Some people only play in certain places close to their workplace; others are on GAP years so take the opportunity to explore the cities in which we play, besides, it's not as if we're seeing every single country in the world! :smile:
Yeah, to some extent - I mentioned this a while ago! Sponsorships and memberships cover the costs, we all have plenty of time on our hands seeing as most of us are already out of uni. Plus, it's not usually just about playing squash - it's about travelling the world, visiting places, etc. Some people only play in certain places close to their workplace; others are on GAP years so take the opportunity to explore the cities in which we play, besides, it's not as if we're seeing every single country in the world! :smile:

I know it isn't like, every country but, still..

How did you get involved in this!?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mr Bee
I know it isn't like, every country but, still..

How did you get involved in this!?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Some years ago, my friends and I were playing league and we decided we wanted to take it a step further, so we broke off from the main league and formed our own (which is joint "owned" by our coaches). Then we got more and more people in uni and in other countries to get involved, gained memberships at various clubs, and so on. It was not an easy procedure by any means, we needed some older people to help us out.
Some years ago, my friends and I were playing league and we decided we wanted to take it a step further, so we broke off from the main league and formed our own (which is joint "owned" by our coaches). Then we got more and more people in uni and in other countries to get involved, gained memberships at various clubs, and so on. It was not an easy procedure by any means, we needed some older people to help us out.

I'm unbelievably jealous. :redface:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mr Faust
Hi,

I'm a proper beginner at Squash, I've never played it and I'm generally useless at sports (I'm slim and gangling). I'm looking to start with a few of my friends who are also beginners (except they're a bit more sporty than me). Have you got any tips? What should I wear? What should I drink/eat before/during Squash? How long does it take to get the hang of the game? and anything else that might be helpful.

Thanks.

Hi - good to see someone new on this thread! It's great you're taking up squash, it's a really great sport - very fun when you get used to it!

I would recommend you wear tennis-type attire, so that's sports t-shirt (maybe polo shirt) and comfortable shorts.
As for eating/drinking, usually it would tend to be the same food as normal beforehand, although I'd avoid fatty foods as far as possible and drink water and other performance fuels such as Lucozade during a squash session.
At first, you may find it a little difficult to make contact with the ball properly, as your wrist may not be accustomed to playing with a heavy racket (unless you've played other racket sports fairly frequently). Assuming you play say once a week, after about a month you should find your hand-eye-coordination improving . Technically, I suppose it'll only take about 1-1.5 months to get to a level where you can feel confident about playing competitive matches at the lower levels, but if your aim is to really master the sport, it could take a lot of concentration and commitment, as well as at least one year of solid practice!

Good luck with your squash - make sure to read up fully about the rules of the game at some point, eventually get to practise all the basic shots (forehand, backhand, serve, etc), and most of all, don't forget to enjoy the experience! :biggrin:
Reply 470
Hi - good to see someone new on this thread! It's great you're taking up squash, it's a really great sport - very fun when you get used to it!

I would recommend you wear tennis-type attire, so that's sports t-shirt (maybe polo shirt) and comfortable shorts.
As for eating/drinking, usually it would tend to be the same food as normal beforehand, although I'd avoid fatty foods as far as possible and drink water and other performance fuels such as Lucozade during a squash session.
At first, you may find it a little difficult to make contact with the ball properly, as your wrist may not be accustomed to playing with a heavy racket (unless you've played other racket sports fairly frequently). Assuming you play say once a week, after about a month you should find your hand-eye-coordination improving . Technically, I suppose it'll only take about 1-1.5 months to get to a level where you can feel confident about playing competitive matches at the lower levels, but if your aim is to really master the sport, it could take a lot of concentration and commitment, as well as at least one year of solid practice!

Good luck with your squash - make sure to read up fully about the rules of the game at some point, eventually get to practise all the basic shots (forehand, backhand, serve, etc), and most of all, don't forget to enjoy the experience! :biggrin:

Thanks for all the advice - it's very helpful! I'll start next week, doing it every week. I'll let you know how it goes.
Original post by Mr Faust
Thanks for all the advice - it's very helpful! I'll start next week, doing it every week. I'll let you know how it goes.

Hey buddy! Yeah, make sure to let us know how you get on :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
What do people think about the campaign to get Squash as an Olympic Sport for 2016?

I'm hoping to see some next year at the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow :smile:
Original post by Tactical Nuclear Penguin
What do people think about the campaign to get Squash as an Olympic Sport for 2016?

I'm hoping to see some next year at the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow :smile:

I think it's awful that it wasn't at London 2012! Especially when we think that we have at least 5 in the top 25 in the world. It also has everything an Olympic sport needs, Athleticism, fitness, mentality.

I believe 100% it should be at 2016, however I thought it was 2020?

Posted from TSR Mobile
x (

Just played my first league game, 3-0!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mr Bee
Just played my first league game, 3-0!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes! Awesome stuff, what was the scoreline (if you can remember)? :biggrin:
Yes! Awesome stuff, what was the scoreline (if you can remember)? :biggrin:

Well it was English scoring -_-, I can remember it went 9-4, 9-5, 9-5.

Posted from TSR Mobile
x

I've cracked my Head Xenon 135:'(

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mr Bee
Well it was English scoring -_-, I can remember it went 9-4, 9-5, 9-5.

Posted from TSR Mobile

English scoring is the best.

What is the best return of serve? Is it straight drive, crosscourt drive, straight drop or boast?

Quick Reply

Latest