The Student Room Group

TSR Squash

Scroll to see replies

Original post by UserInvalid
maybe you would like to share your experience of squash?

Been playing since November and I'm better than most the players at my club who have been playing one year plus!
Original post by py0alb
I had a good game yesterday, played a friendly against the guy who is winning the league above me. He beat me 3-2 in the end, but I felt like it could have gone either way. He was surprised to hear I had only been playing 4 months.

Ah well done! What gear do you play in?
Reply 82
Original post by Mr Bee
Ah well done! What gear do you play in?

errr shorts and a polo shirt?
Original post by py0alb
errr shorts and a polo shirt?

Sweet. I am treating myself to a Dunlop Aerogel 4D Elite for £48, as used by Gregory Gaultier, and I then will have 2 rackets. I take a pair of court shoes, drinks, money, phone, glasses when I play, should I get a bag to make everything easier? But I was thinking more of a Holdall. Would they be okay?
I ordered a new racket :smile: Dunlop Aerogel 4D Elite for £48 reduced from £140! Buzzin'.
Reply 85
Good stuff man. Sorry I didn't reply to your msg, I've been busy with uni revision. Have you had a hit with the racquet yet?
I wish squash was more socially popular, there's a massive rift between squash and tennis. I guess nothing much can be done as squash is an indoors game and tennis is more accessible to beginners. Tennis is better suited as a spectator sport too so people can get involved through watching it live.

I recently bought a Technifibre Carboflex 130 (bit of a mouthful) RRP £100 and I got it for £50 which was a good price. The situation to which I bought the raquet is akin to Mr. Bees i.e. the massive discount. I've only played with once so far, got slightly less good results than my old coach's raquet (which I used to borrow), it'll need some time I guess.
Original post by Hazz1
Good stuff man. Sorry I didn't reply to your msg, I've been busy with uni revision. Have you had a hit with the racquet yet?

Unfortunately not! I ordered it Friday at half nine, got it by Monday! I play once a week on a Saturday for an hour and 20 minutes. I don't know yet how I can get to play more :\
Original post by Oxy-moron Prodigy
I wish squash was more socially popular, there's a massive rift between squash and tennis. I guess nothing much can be done as squash is an indoors game and tennis is more accessible to beginners. Tennis is better suited as a spectator sport too so people can get involved through watching it live.

I recently bought a Technifibre Carboflex 130 (bit of a mouthful) RRP £100 and I got it for £50 which was a good price. The situation to which I bought the raquet is akin to Mr. Bees i.e. the massive discount. I've only played with once so far, got slightly less good results than my old coach's raquet (which I used to borrow), it'll need some time I guess.

I absolutely 100% agree with that! It needs more support from the media! Such as live on tele!

My racket was £140, reduced to £48. I was so happy! It was a great deal :smile:
Reply 89
Original post by Oxy-moron Prodigy

Really? Most people - both tennis and squash players - agree that squash is far easier to get into as a beginner. It only takes a couple of lessons/practice sessions before a complete beginner can have a great game full of good 10-12 shot rallys. People can play tennis for years and still never have decent rallys.
Original post by py0alb
Really? Most people - both tennis and squash players - agree that squash is far easier to get into as a beginner. It only takes a couple of lessons/practice sessions before a complete beginner can have a great game full of good 10-12 shot rallys. People can play tennis for years and still never have decent rallys.

Agreed.
Reply 91
Hi all,

first post in this thread.

are any of you at uni/play for uni?

iv got a pair of technifibre suprem calibur 135s strung with supernickxl micro. top top rackets!

asics gel rocket shoes. (shoes most important peice of equiptment)

been playing nearly 4 years now. usually play 3 times a week although got a shin splint on my right leg at the moment which is taking me down to about once a week although might rest it so it fully recovers hopefully.
Original post by jaknffc
Hi all,

first post in this thread.

are any of you at uni/play for uni?

iv got a pair of technifibre suprem calibur 135s strung with supernickxl micro. top top rackets!

asics gel rocket shoes. (shoes most important peice of equiptment)

been playing nearly 4 years now. usually play 3 times a week although got a shin splint on my right leg at the moment which is taking me down to about once a week although might rest it so it fully recovers hopefully.

Hey man! Welcome to the thread, I hope you keep posting!

I play about 5 sports and often get the shin split feeling in my right leg, I usually get it through football. I think you should rest it, make sure it fully recovers.

Are those rackets decent?

Also, I have 2 rackets, Dunlop Aerogel 4D Elite and my first racket, which has bent outwards :\, I only play once a week but if I had to chance to I would play perhaps 3 times a week. I take glasses, drink, shoes, phone to play would you advise a 3 racket - racket bag?
Reply 93
i love the rackets i use especially with the string combination.

as for a bag... the 3 racket ones are pretty tiny.

most of us at uni have 9s or 12s so you can get everything you need in and they have 2 shoulder straps. the 6s are big enough if your only carrying one racket though.
Original post by jaknffc
i love the rackets i use especially with the string combination.

as for a bag... the 3 racket ones are pretty tiny.

most of us at uni have 9s or 12s so you can get everything you need in and they have 2 shoulder straps. the 6s are big enough if your only carrying one racket though.

So would you advise a 6?
Reply 95
Original post by Mr Bee
So would you advise a 6?

Yes its definately handy to have. Like iv got all my kit in there, sports socks, grips, balls etc.

A good website for squash equiptment is pdh sports, they're not always the cheapest but have a good range and good service and some decent offers sometimes.
Original post by jaknffc
Yes its definately handy to have. Like iv got all my kit in there, sports socks, grips, balls etc.

A good website for squash equiptment is pdh sports, they're not always the cheapest but have a good range and good service and some decent offers sometimes.

Oh okay, I will check it out :smile: Thanks.

I'm mad today because I couldn't play squash today. I got a new racket and I now have to wait another week to play with it!

Does anybody here play league? Would you say it is worth it?
Reply 97
I have played the last 12 days in a row with mates and today I have to break my streak due to a combination of them not being free and a hangover! I haven't been playing long but I would say I'm an intermediate level, which is nice because when I started I could barely hit the ball :tongue:
Reply 98
Original post by Mr Bee
Oh okay, I will check it out :smile: Thanks.

I'm mad today because I couldn't play squash today. I got a new racket and I now have to wait another week to play with it!

Does anybody here play league? Would you say it is worth it?

It depends what sort of league. Its good to play different people as people have different ways of playing and if you play the same person you simply counter them.
Original post by tface
I have played the last 12 days in a row with mates and today I have to break my streak due to a combination of them not being free and a hangover! I haven't been playing long but I would say I'm an intermediate level, which is nice because when I started I could barely hit the ball :tongue:

Lucky bugger!

Quick Reply

Latest