The Student Room Group

TSR Squash

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jaknffc
It depends what sort of league. Its good to play different people as people have different ways of playing and if you play the same person you simply counter them.

I think that the top 2 go up a league, middle 2 stay in the current league and bottom 2 will move down. I'm not 100% sure though.
Reply 101
Original post by Mr Bee
Lucky bugger!

Why lucky? If you have gold membership at my uni gym then court hire is free, why not go all the time :biggrin:
Original post by tface
Why lucky? If you have gold membership at my uni gym then court hire is free, why not go all the time :biggrin:

I guess so! Because I'm 14, my club membership is £20 + £5 door pass. However, to play, it's £4 for lights :'|
Squash! <3

I came from around 10 year of tennis, so my courtcraft is fairly good, but my serving is AWFUL :colondollar:

Can't ever get it to arc up into the back corner, it's such an achille's heel. Unfortunately none of my friends play squash, so unless I ask around my coursemates I'd have to join the squash club at uni, but that'd take too much time away from other clubs :s-smilie:
Original post by Architecture-er
Squash! <3

I came from around 10 year of tennis, so my courtcraft is fairly good, but my serving is AWFUL :colondollar:

Can't ever get it to arc up into the back corner, it's such an achille's heel. Unfortunately none of my friends play squash, so unless I ask around my coursemates I'd have to join the squash club at uni, but that'd take too much time away from other clubs :s-smilie:

I agree, I also <3 Squash :P You should join club, you might just have to work around it if you love to play.

With the serving, I recently realised it helps to have the racket at a slight angle. Look at Ramy Ashour or Amr Shabana serving. It also helps to try and place it with a less powerful shot but play it high up the front wall.

An example of this, a kid at my club always whacks his serves as hard as he can, I boast it and he's struggling. When I serve it, I take my time and he struggles :smile:
Original post by Mr Bee
I agree, I also <3 Squash :P You should join club, you might just have to work around it if you love to play.

With the serving, I recently realised it helps to have the racket at a slight angle. Look at Ramy Ashour or Amr Shabana serving. It also helps to try and place it with a less powerful shot but play it high up the front wall.

An example of this, a kid at my club always whacks his serves as hard as he can, I boast it and he's struggling. When I serve it, I take my time and he struggles :smile:

By 'slight angle' I guess you mean a top-spin shot? I can hit the ball just fine, it's just that I either get the angle too acute, so it flops into the middle of the court, or too obtuse, so it bounces off the side and straight to my opponent again. If they're any good, they just blast it down the straight and I'm on the backfoot as soon as the point starts.
Original post by py0alb
Really? Most people - both tennis and squash players - agree that squash is far easier to get into as a beginner. It only takes a couple of lessons/practice sessions before a complete beginner can have a great game full of good 10-12 shot rallys. People can play tennis for years and still never have decent rallys.

By accessibility I meant the availability of courts. Tennis courts are much more common than squash courts but also I feel squash can be more intimidating to the first time spectator. Whether it's easier to get into, I'm not so sure. They're both raquet sports and while there is no net to hit over or baseline, the intensity of squash even in a simple rally can be very high.
Original post by Mr Bee

My technique of serving is different, which I developed myself. It is somtimes slow and sometimes a hard smash, the main aim is to get the ball at the oponent's corner, and when it touches the corner the ball is dead, not bouncing. This is called lethal serve.
Reply 108
from the right box, i serve backhand accross cutting the angle, soft with ever so slight slice, it just holds up the ball close to the left wall and then if my opponent doesnt volley the ball is dead.

from the left box, i serve normal with an open face and again a ever so slight slight with takes the ball off the front wall towards to the right wall again so if they dont volley the ball is dead.

you should try and serve as you step out the box towards the t trailing your following leg just inside the service box.
Reply 109
Original post by jaknffc
from the right box, i serve backhand accross cutting the angle, soft with ever so slight slice, it just holds up the ball close to the left wall and then if my opponent doesnt volley the ball is dead.

from the left box, i serve normal with an open face and again a ever so slight slight with takes the ball off the front wall towards to the right wall again so if they dont volley the ball is dead.

you should try and serve as you step out the box towards the t trailing your following leg just inside the service box.

Perfect description +1rep
Original post by jaknffc

I too agree on that, you worded it beautifully :smile:
Reply 111
What sort of standard do you guys play at out of interest? I've recently started playing team squash for my club, we're only in a low division though. Hopefully I will make the cut for the team when I go uni this autumn!

I think I need to begin to develop a solid backhand serve. If all the pros use it, I guess it must be the best type of serve from the forehand side :tongue:
Reply 112
Hi Doughnut,

Im in the "squad" at manchester uni, we only have 2 teams (of 5 people) at the moment which is daft as we porbably have the strongest squad of anyone in the country. We are having a 3rd team next which i should make with some practice over summer.

What uni are you planning on going to?

Iv never played club squash but im going to join my local club over summer.

I wouldnt say the backhand serve is crucial, but if you don't get the pace right off a normal forhand serve accross then the angle will take the ball off both the side then the back wall and i find its easier to return which is why i started using a backhand serve. Its taken me a few months to master but its finally becoming decent.
Reply 113
Original post by jaknffc
Hi Doughnut,

Im in the "squad" at manchester uni, we only have 2 teams (of 5 people) at the moment which is daft as we porbably have the strongest squad of anyone in the country. We are having a 3rd team next which i should make with some practice over summer.

What uni are you planning on going to?

Iv never played club squash but im going to join my local club over summer.

I wouldnt say the backhand serve is crucial, but if you don't get the pace right off a normal forhand serve accross then the angle will take the ball off both the side then the back wall and i find its easier to return which is why i started using a backhand serve. Its taken me a few months to master but its finally becoming decent.

Newcastle is the plan. I've noticed they have 3 teams in the Northumbria League so I'll hopefully be able to get into one of them. In the mean time, I'm going to play as much as possible so I'll be better by the time I go.

I'm playing later tonight, nothing competitive just having a knock with a mate so I might start trying out this backhand serve :wink: At the moment I think I'm too predictable with the serve so I guess any variation I have is a plus. Still need to nail the lob serve as well. Can hit them in practice but in a proper match when the ball is boiling hot I often put them out!
Reply 114
Ahhh nice newcastle are pretty good.

Yhhh i often revert back to the forhand serve and ram one down the middle at the body. Sometimes with the lob i just cut under the ball slighty and it should just hold it slightly from drifting out.
Would you say £14 is expensive for a 40 minute 1 to 1 lessons with ex England plays? They are my coaches :biggrin:
Reply 116
Thats probably about correct. Dont go over the top with coaching though. You need the fundamentals yes but then its just a matter of practice and matchplay. Personally iv never had coaching untill this year. When we start we just watched videos and tried to replicate and "play the right way".

this 3 part series on youtube is really useful

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVaG9a0micI
Original post by jaknffc
Thats probably about correct. Dont go over the top with coaching though. You need the fundamentals yes but then its just a matter of practice and matchplay. Personally iv never had coaching untill this year. When we start we just watched videos and tried to replicate and "play the right way".

this 3 part series on youtube is really useful

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVaG9a0micI

They are decent videos but very long :P
Played with my new Aerogel 4D Elite racket today. Out of the 6 matches I played, I won 5.

1st game, best of 3. 11-3, 11-4, won.
2nd game, 1 game. 11-3, won.
3rd game, 1 game. 11-6, won.
4th game, best of 3. 11-5 lost, 12-10 won. Draw (time)
Original post by Mr Bee
Played with my new Aerogel 4D Elite racket today. Out of the 6 matches I played, I won 5.

1st game, best of 3. 11-3, 11-4, won.
2nd game, 1 game. 11-3, won.
3rd game, 1 game. 11-6, won.
4th game, best of 3. 11-5 lost, 12-10 won. Draw (time)

It seems a good game. Don't make yourself reliable on the racket, make yourself reliable on your skills, you should on the such level that if you are given any racket, your style of game play should be the same, and for this it requires practice.

Quick Reply

Latest