The Student Room Group

TSR Squash

Scroll to see replies

That is quite nice actually. May I ask why you recommend it?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 142
How effective is playing squash for 90 minutes daily in reducing belly fat and weight? I have been playing for around 1.5 weeks now... no effect so far :frown:
Reply 143
Original post by jaknffc
What i do is rotate around the gym in now 10-12 min blocks. (lenght of games) You might want to start shorter (6 ish and build it up). For instance 12 mins on the rower, then a 12 min stead jog, then a 12 min bike all with 2 minutes inbetween to simulate the rest period of the game.

Also another thing is to work on movement technique. Such as side stepping or double side stepping rather than a turn an run. Theres a video i posted on here earlier in the thread about the basics. The more efficiently you can get back to the t area then the less it will take out of your legs earlier on.

Thanks a lot... I will check it out... I really hate jogging and running... :frown: Should start riding my bike :smile:
Original post by joy12
Thanks a lot... I will check it out... I really hate jogging and running... :frown: Should start riding my bike :smile:

Yes you should! I do cycling and when you work hard enough, you do get knacked...

Reply 145
Original post by joy12
How effective is playing squash for 90 minutes daily in reducing belly fat and weight? I have been playing for around 1.5 weeks now... no effect so far :frown:

Like any exercise, it burns calories. If you burn more than you consume then you lose weight, so if you aren't losing weight even with that amount of exercise you need to eat less :smile:
I have squash today actually. 1 hour 20 minutes for £1! :smile:

Original post by tface
Like any exercise, it burns calories. If you burn more than you consume then you lose weight, so if you aren't losing weight even with that amount of exercise you need to eat less :smile:

Yeah, thats good advice :smile:

Original post by joy12

Yeah, also, every time you eat throughout the day, note down the calories then do enough exercise each day to burn them and more.

Bumpp..

Hi, thought I'd join in here. Been playing for 7 years, but I'm being held back by the fact that I currently weigh about 16 stone. My shot playing and selection is good, but I just can't hold my own after the third or fourth game really.
Hey has anyone tried double squash? Theres normally four of us who go down and play, which normally involves two just watching, I heard about doubles squash and thought that could work. So has any one tried it and what do you think. (We are all quite clumsy though )
Reply 152
Original post by redtortoise
Hey has anyone tried double squash? Theres normally four of us who go down and play, which normally involves two just watching, I heard about doubles squash and thought that could work. So has any one tried it and what do you think. (We are all quite clumsy though )

Why don't you book two courts? Doubles sounds completely mental to me :tongue: Can't imagine playing for any length of time without injury!

My mates at uni bought me a Wilson K Tour for my birthday which was a fantastic surprise! Real improvement from my last racket, which felt like a club. The main thing I need to work on is my backhand, I have atrocious technique and can barely get any power or accuracy into it. Any tips?
Original post by tface
Why don't you book two courts? Doubles sounds completely mental to me :tongue: Can't imagine playing for any length of time without injury!

My mates at uni bought me a Wilson K Tour for my birthday which was a fantastic surprise! Real improvement from my last racket, which felt like a club. The main thing I need to work on is my backhand, I have atrocious technique and can barely get any power or accuracy into it. Any tips?

Theres only one court, I think your right though that it may end up in injury since one girl did manage to hit another around the head while playing singles.
Doubles is fine but you should probably be reasonably accurate, there are no strokes and safety comes first (ask if in any doubt, WEAR GOGGLES etc.).
Reply 155
Theres only one court, I think your right though that it may end up in injury since one girl did manage to hit another around the head while playing singles.

I've managed to hit my face playing singles so I can relate :tongue: (luckily not very hard at all though).

If you four want to play, then play "one miss game"

which basically means that you all four are in the court, 2 players play the game, but the 2 others stand in line just next to the door (inside). When one player loses point, then he goes to the back of the line, and the next player cames. The one who loses goes back of the line e.t.c
Or 3/4 court, which is probably a little safer.
Original post by UserInvalid
If you four want to play, then play "one miss game"

which basically means that you all four are in the court, 2 players play the game, but the 2 others stand in line just next to the door (inside). When one player loses point, then he goes to the back of the line, and the next player cames. The one who loses goes back of the line e.t.c

Yeah thats what we normally do when theres one court or we are too cash strapped to book two.
So three quarters :P

Quick Reply

Latest