The Student Room Group

Computer Science Degree?????

Well i have been interested in games and computers for as long as i remember, this is why im taking computing in college. I just wanted to know what is the best way of becoming a games developer/programmer. For example say in the future if i wanted to work for SI or EA Sports, will it be best if i take a degree in computer science degree or a games development degree.

Also Do you think my computing AS course will help me for games programming even though i am learning visual basic and not c++ Or is there any other software that could help me program at a good level for gaming?
Reply 1
I personally believe that if you can handle and more importantly, enjoy a CS degree then you would be very employable in virtually any IT/CS background.

If you are a beginner programmer it is best to start by writing simple programs. You need to learn to walk before you run. If you want some ideas for programs to write try http://projecteuler.net/. As for your question on which programming language to use, it is really up to you. Let me ask you this: When you learned to drive, did you learn to drive a mini cooper, or did you learn to drive a car? In the same way I'd say the programming language you choose to use is really not that important. You don't want to learn C++, or Visual Basic, you want to learn to program. With that said, I would suggest that if you are learning to program that you not start with GUI programming (i.e. creating windows applications etc.), and that you start programming in the command line. Good languages to start with might be Java, Ruby or Python, since there is a lot of support for beginners in these languages. But, as I said, don't fret too much about the language you start out in. Remember, you want to learn to solve problems. This is really what programming is, it is simply (well, not simply) solving problems.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by DYKWIA
If you are a beginner programmer it is best to start by writing simple programs. You need to learn to walk before you run. If you want some ideas for programs to write try http://projecteuler.net/.

This is borderline oxymoronic :colonhash:
Reply 3
Original post by ch0llima
This is borderline oxymoronic :colonhash:

They do start pretty simple... The point is that they develop your problem solving skills without requiring too many clever programming skills.
Reply 4
Original post by DYKWIA
They do start pretty simple... The point is that they develop your problem solving skills without requiring too many clever programming skills.

True, and the basic ones are pretty straightforward.

I still think that learning the basic concepts in baby steps is the best way, though, as you suggested later in your first post :smile:. You need to learn to say "please", "thank you" and "two pints of beer please" before you can go and work as a UN approved translator after all.
Original post by DYKWIA
I personally believe that if you can handle and more importantly, enjoy a CS degree then you would be very employable in virtually any IT/CS background.

If you are a beginner programmer it is best to start by writing simple programs. You need to learn to walk before you run. If you want some ideas for programs to write try http://projecteuler.net/. As for your question on which programming language to use, it is really up to you. Let me ask you this: When you learned to drive, did you learn to drive a mini cooper, or did you learn to drive a car? In the same way I'd say the programming language you choose to use is really not that important. You don't want to learn C++, or Visual Basic, you want to learn to program. With that said, I would suggest that if you are learning to program that you not start with GUI programming (i.e. creating windows applications etc.), and that you start programming in the command line. Good languages to start with might be Java, Ruby or Python, since there is a lot of support for beginners in these languages. But, as I said, don't fret too much about the language you start out in. Remember, you want to learn to solve problems. This is really what programming is, it is simply (well, not simply) solving problems.

Pretty sound advice OP.
You may also want to enquire about electives in a CS degree that would allow you to develop skills involving graphic work that could be applicable in the games design world.
Reply 6
Original post by DYKWIA

Thanks for the information. Do you think my computing AS course will help me for games programming?
Reply 7
Original post by TJ_BLACK_STAR
Thanks for the information. Do you think my computing AS course will help me for games programming?

I'm not familiar with that course, so I can't really say. If you want to get into games programming then you would be best off by doing a CS, Software Engineering or Information Systems degree. I am not really very knowledgeable about those other degrees though, so I can't really say much about them. However, I'd say the most useful courses for a CS degree would be mathematics and more specifically discrete mathematics, if that is offered by your school.
Reply 8
Thanks guys i really appreciate the help. I just have one last question if you dont mind answering. Apart from games programming and IT managment, What other jobs can i get with this degree and will I be able to work with the programming of aeroplanes?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending