The Student Room Group

UK seeing 'a big rise in poverty', says IFS

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Erich Hartmann
Surely he still pays some hefty child maintenance orders :smile:

Nope, he quit that when I was seventeen - I'm now twenty. And because he lives outwith the UK, they can't do anything about it. His last agreement with us anyway was to give us £2.50 a week anyway.
Original post by LostRiots
Times have been hard for a lot of people long before the current government came into power. You think David Cameron is solely responsible for a global recession, increased costs of living with minimal wage increases, and high unemployment?

Cameron and his cabinet could stop the green taxes on our energy bills and stop the idiotic foreign and international aid budget putting that money into an emergency fund for those worst off.Like pensioners who had to choose between food and heating, the disabled,homeless ,familes in serious finanical trouble etc etc.

He could put his people first, before the bureacrats of the EU or looking good to international organisations.
Original post by gradjobplease
Re: UK seeing 'a big rise in poverty', says IFS....

....as Apple releases new iPhone 4S.
Reply 23
It is hardly a suprise that the UK is seeing 'a big rise in poverty' when the goverment are making such draconian cuts and destroying the heart and soul of our cherished welfare system. Everything the Tory goverment do is designed to land another kick in the *******s of hardworking British people.
Times have been hard for a lot of people long before the current government came into power. You think David Cameron is solely responsible for a global recession, increased costs of living with minimal wage increases, and high unemployment?

Yeah, Cameron is totally not to blame for unemployment.

Oh wait, he cut hundreds of thousands of jobs. Guess it is is his fault after all then.

At least its not his fault for increased costs though. Oh right yeah, he increased VAT by 2.5%. Guess that's his fault too then.
Original post by Martyn*
You are ignorant. Poverty is relative. It's all about how the quality of someone's life is reduced because they cannot afford things anymore. Things like gas and electricty to heat their homes. Things like meals, or being able to afford the rent.

Relative poverty is *******s. Someone with £3m is in relative poverty to someone with £3bn. I'm sure we can all agree that the £3m family is in no way in poverty. :rolleyes:
Original post by Genocidal
Poverty? We don't even know what poverty is. Essentially what it means is that we won't be able to buy so much pointless crap in the next few years.

Correction, you don't know what poverty is. As for the rest of us, we are barely scraping by. Many a people aren't even able to scrape by. So as for your theory that we just buy 'pointless crap' I think that shelter and food aren't exactly that pointless, no? Also how about the amount of unemployment. You would have to be an idiot not to see how much poverty there is here. Even in the 70's there was a lot of poverty. Look at old footage of it if you don't believe me. This country has seen and is seeing poverty. Don't go by the general stereotype that it is only in other countries. Its here as well, and not just a little bit.
Original post by LipstickKisses
Sorry but hardly anyone in the UK is in 'poverty'. You might be poorer than others, but it's not poverty. We have free healthcare, education and social housing, people should be more greatful for what the country actually provides.

What are you actually on about?

There was a programme on just the other week about children in this country starving and on the streets. No electricity or gas through the winter. I know this is true my mum works for a charity and see its all everyday. You might be okay in your world, but believe me - its not like that around.

As for free healthcare, have you been to a hospital recently? People are being turned away for operations. While our systems being abused by people from other EU countries. When we go abroad we have to get insurance, whereas they can just use ours. We are the ones being abused.

Free education? Its not free actually. Tax payers pay a lot for education. The UK is one of the most heavily taxed countries in the Western society.

Benefits? I know someone who has worked for 50 years and now is finding it virtually impossible to get anything.

There is serious poverty in this country. Whether you pay attention to it or remain blind is another matter however.
Original post by theclash...
Correction, you don't know what poverty is. As for the rest of us, we are barely scraping by. Many a people aren't even able to scrape by. So as for your theory that we just buy 'pointless crap' I think that shelter and food aren't exactly that pointless, no? Also how about the amount of unemployment. You would have to be an idiot not to see how much poverty there is here. Even in the 70's there was a lot of poverty. Look at old footage of it if you don't believe me. This country has seen and is seeing poverty. Don't go by the general stereotype that it is only in other countries. Its here as well, and not just a little bit.

Poverty with social housing, free healthcare, and welfare? Right ok this is poverty. :rolleyes:
Poverty with social housing, free healthcare, and welfare? Right ok this is poverty. :rolleyes:

As I have already said to someone else:

There was a programme on just the other week about children in this country starving and on the streets. No electricity or gas through the winter. I know this is true my mum works for a charity and see its all everyday. You might be okay in your world, but believe me - its not like that around.

As for free healthcare, have you been to a hospital recently? People are being turned away for operations. While our systems being abused by people from other EU countries. When we go abroad we have to get insurance, whereas they can just use ours. We are the ones being abused.

Free education? Its not free actually. Tax payers pay a lot for education. The UK is one of the most heavily taxed countries in the Western society.

Benefits? I know someone who has worked for 50 years and now is finding it virtually impossible to get anything.

There is serious poverty in this country. Whether you pay attention to it or remain blind is another matter however.

My point was that the government provides for people in this country, which is more than most have and people should be thankful for it. Yes, I know the NHS is a bit of a state and I agree that it is getting abused, but the point is we have it. It's not perfect, but it's something. And yes, funnily enough, I know state education is paid for by tax. However, anyone can go, whether they pay taxes or not, which is a lot more than many other countries have. And the benefits system needs reforming, but it's there and a lot of people get paid when they're unemployed. That was my point. People are moaning when it could be a whole lot worse if they lived in say, Somalia.
Original post by T-ros
another example the UK is turning into a 3rd world country.

Good point.

Every civilisation in the past has reached it's zenith before coming crashing down, the signs of it happening here and in the US have been apparent for the past few years, yet nothing is done, people just want to pretend that we will be living relatively priviledged lives forever.
As I have already said to someone else:

It's easy to look at the tiny minority who are struggling and blowing it into a big headline like "UK: BIG RISK IN POVERTY!"

Or maybe there is just a waiting list and a limited number of hospitals in a country that numbers millions and millions of people? That point about EU patients seems like more of a shot at immigrants than anything else so I'll ignore it. And I'm not sure about the insurance thing in their countries but surely that is something to do with their system as opposed to ours?

The UK is not one of the most heavily taxed nations at all; have you seen the whole of Scandinavia? Furthermore, of course the tax payer pays for education because most public services are paid for by the tax payer. It's still free, null point.

Ther's obviously a reason he wouldn't be getting benefits because they don't just turn people away for no reason.
Original post by MTR_10
I do hope the cost the travel is cheaper in Aberdeen than it is in London?

Original post by daisydaffodil
£2.70 a day for unlimited bus travel - tend to walk everywhere when possible!

So not really, £12 a week with Student Oyster, unlimited bus in London.

The poverty line is defined as 60% of the national median income. Not sure what that is but the national average is just over £30,000. What is defined by the government as poverty cannot be compared to poverty in other countries.
Original post by daisydaffodil
I don't actually - my mum's disabled and can't work, lives on benefits. My dad refuses to financially support us despite having a senior management job abroad.

Why does he refuse?
Original post by LipstickKisses
My point was that the government provides for people in this country, which is more than most have and people should be thankful for it. Yes, I know the NHS is a bit of a state and I agree that it is getting abused, but the point is we have it. It's not perfect, but it's something. And yes, funnily enough, I know state education is paid for by tax. However, anyone can go, whether they pay taxes or not, which is a lot more than many other countries have. And the benefits system needs reforming, but it's there and a lot of people get paid when they're unemployed. That was my point. People are moaning when it could be a whole lot worse if they lived in say, Somalia.

We don't live in Somalia though? So whats the need in bringing it up? We are the UK, not Somalia. Regardless if you working or not you still pay a hell of a lot in taxes, say in fuel, utility taxes. You are speaking to someone who does a lot of charity work for Africa and all of those countries, but we shouldn't be grateful for the way we are now, beause our Grandfathers fought and worked for ridiculous hours to make our country great, where now all the money is leaving the country. Destroying our economy, i.e. Western Unions, and there is not enough coming back in. I've heard of footballers only paying 1% tax on their earnings through a loophole that the government are aware of. As for poverty I have already said it is here.
It's easy to look at the tiny minority who are struggling and blowing it into a big headline like "UK: BIG RISK IN POVERTY!"
Or maybe there is just a waiting list and a limited number of hospitals in a country that numbers millions and millions of people? That point about EU patients seems like more of a shot at immigrants than anything else so I'll ignore it. And I'm not sure about the insurance thing in their countries but surely that is something to do with their system as opposed to ours?The UK is not one of the most heavily taxed nations at all; have you seen the whole of Scandinavia? Furthermore, of course the tax payer pays for education because most public services are paid for by the tax payer. It's still free, null point.Ther's obviously a reason he wouldn't be getting benefits because they don't just turn people away for no reason.

I'll colour code accordingly.

How is it a tiny minority really? If you have bothered to read the article given, then you will realise that it is not a tiny minority and it is getting worse. They are not blowing it out into a big headline. This is what is happening.

There is a limited number of hospitals due to the government and their cuts. So null point. It could be solved if the government bothered.

As for ignoring something, don't ignore it. This is what is happening in the UK. People like you are ignoring it and that is why it is getting abused the way it is.

Well obviously it is to do with their countries. Why shouldn't ours do the same, seeing as we seem to be the only one suffering from the deal. By the way, when the NHS was set up it was started to help the people of the UK, not just help everyone.

I have seen Sandinavia taxes, but have you seen the care that they give their own people, people who have payed into the system their whole lives get looked after, unlike here.

Its not free. How can it be free if its being payed for by the tax payers? Nothing is free in this country.

They say he's not servere enough to be entitled to get anything, because he is a proud man who tries to not let things get in his way. They have a criteria.
Combine that with the fact that the North is being propped up by the South and that student unemployment is at ~21%, the UK is a **** place for any user of this forum to be in.
Original post by Silver Arrow
Why does he refuse?

If only we knew :wink:

Nah, he doesn't like my mum very much, nor does he totally like me and my sister I think. He's never actually explained why I won't get money but I suspect it was due to the fact that he didn't want my mum to have access to it.
Reply 39

No, I don't think David Cameron is responsible for global recession. I never mentioned that. This thread is UK poverty, not global poverty. And yes Britatin has been in trouble for a while, but now is the worst ruled by David Cameron

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending