The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

Newcastle Applicants 2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 300
Got an offer for History on the PARTNERS scheme as well so I have lower grade requirements :smug:
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
Original post by nutter_butter93
Yeah I guess so, I'm going to go to the open day next week I think and see what the info about the course is like and all of that, but I know as soon as I go I'm going to fall in love with the uni again!!! I love Newcastle as a place aswell, my dad and sister are from there so I've spent loads of time up there which draws me to it aswell. Argh! haha, i hate decisions!

oooh hope it's nice!

I fell in love with the place as soon as I got there, the uni and the city, so hopefully you do too! I'd never been there before, but as soon as anyone heard our accents all the locals were asking if we needed help,which was lovely xD (Trying to work metro machines etc),
Reply 302
Original post by sophia5892

Original post by sophia5892
Hey

I'm in my second year at Newcastle (French, German and Japanese) so feel free to ask me anything about langs there. Also currently applying for my year abroad in Japan - seen a couple of Japanese Studies applicants if you have any questions :smile:

As for general advice:

I lived in St Mary's which is the cheapest. It's about 2 miles from the city centre but buses are frequent and a yearly pass is less than £300. Taxis after nights out never cost me more than a fiver from the town centre. The rooms are huge compared to some of the others and it's quite quiet there. I was in a flat of 5 (3 lasses, 2 guys) and we had 2 separate toilets and 2 sep showers between us. And the nicest cleaner ever :biggrin:

Obviously you want Ricky Road for parties - although the buildings are horrendous looking :tongue:

So yeh, if anyone has any q's feel free to email me. I'll try to keep checking back here often enough.
And good luck to everyone with offers/exams etc :smile:

I have applied for Japanese and Cultural studies. How are you finding the Japanese language modules? Can you tell me a little bit about them please? I may be able to start in year 2 as i have studied Japanese before, but i'm not sure if year 2 would be too difficult to start at.

Reply 303
Offer for Law today!! I'm over the moon. :colondollar::colondollar:
Almost certainly firming for History (v100) next year, just need to raise my History grade by 2 UMS to meet my offer which shouldn't be too hard. I got an offer within 72 hours of sending my ucas off, and an email commending me on the strength of my application which was nice of them :biggrin:

I wish Newcastle wasn't so far away! Everything about the university looks amazing from what i've seen and heard, i'd love to go and visit but its far too expensive on the train. At least there are a few people from my old college who go, from what they're telling me its only making me more excited.
Reply 305
Just firmed Newcastle! Cannot describe my excitement for going there!
Original post by sr90
Almost certainly firming for History (v100) next year, just need to raise my History grade by 2 UMS to meet my offer which shouldn't be too hard. I got an offer within 72 hours of sending my ucas off, and an email commending me on the strength of my application which was nice of them :biggrin:

I wish Newcastle wasn't so far away! Everything about the university looks amazing from what i've seen and heard, i'd love to go and visit but its far too expensive on the train. At least there are a few people from my old college who go, from what they're telling me its only making me more excited.

You wish it wasn't so far away!? same! As stupid as it sounds its like the one thing thats putting me off...but recently found out that it is alot cheaper by plane than it is by train!! whereabouts you from? xx
Reply 307
Original post by annieconstable3
YES! I have an offer aswell...are you going to the open day? Is your offer AAB? :biggrin: xxx

No unfortunately i cant :frown: my offer is in IB Points cause im doing the Diploma. its around that though yeah haha. is newcastle your firm?
You wish it wasn't so far away!? same! As stupid as it sounds its like the one thing thats putting me off...but recently found out that it is alot cheaper by plane than it is by train!! whereabouts you from? xx

I don't think it'll be much of an issue once i'm there, because i wouldn't be going home often and Newcastle looks like an amazing place to live! but even if i look at train prices 3 months in advance, it is still incredibly expensive. It would be a struggle getting all of my stuff up there thats for sure!

I live in Essex but i'm currently at a university in the south (which i won't name, don't want anyone to figure out who i am lol). I'm reapplying because i haven't really settled here, met some nice people but i don't like the city or the course. My offer is AAB, i have AAB from last year but the B is in History and they want an A. So i just need to sort that out, if that makes sense :tongue:

What about you? :smile:
I've applied for Operation department practice. Been offered an interview which i am so happy about . Just no interview date yet. FRUSTRATING :-(
Reply 310
Original post by weirdwakkidolli
Me :smile: I have an offer for English and History :smile:

Yay! It wont just be me there then. Are you going on the accomodation tour? Ive never been to Newcastle before so Im going to have a look around, I hear Castle Leazes / Central Link are quite nice
Is anyone going to the Modern Languages open day this Wednesday? (22/2/12) :france:
Original post by gonchanya
No unfortunately i cant :frown: my offer is in IB Points cause im doing the Diploma. its around that though yeah haha. is newcastle your firm?

Ahh...I'll let you know what it's like! and ahh thats cool :smile: and not sure...I also have offers from Cardiff, Leicester and Bournemouth for the same course pretty much. Still waiting on leeds! Thinking of firming Newcastle and Cardiff Insurance...where else have you applied?
Original post by sr90
I don't think it'll be much of an issue once i'm there, because i wouldn't be going home often and Newcastle looks like an amazing place to live! but even if i look at train prices 3 months in advance, it is still incredibly expensive. It would be a struggle getting all of my stuff up there thats for sure!

I live in Essex but i'm currently at a university in the south (which i won't name, don't want anyone to figure out who i am lol). I'm reapplying because i haven't really settled here, met some nice people but i don't like the city or the course. My offer is AAB, i have AAB from last year but the B is in History and they want an A. So i just need to sort that out, if that makes sense :tongue:

What about you? :smile:

Yeah I know what you mean...I'm going to an open day in march and for me and my dad to go up, it would cost £300/£400! like crazy! BUT I dunno if this will help you with where you live, but for us it was alot cheaper to drive to the nearest airport and get a plane! that cost like £50 for both of us! :smile:

And ahh thats a shame that you don't like your course...I can see why you'd wanna change a southern city for a northern city! :biggrin:

I hope you sort out your grade thingy, i'm sure it'll be fine :biggrin: x
Anyone else really excited at the prospect of Newcastle in December? :biggrin:
Original post by JSam1994
Is anyone going to the Modern Languages open day this Wednesday? (22/2/12) :france:

I am :smile: what languages you doing?
Yeah I know what you mean...I'm going to an open day in march and for me and my dad to go up, it would cost £300/£400! like crazy! BUT I dunno if this will help you with where you live, but for us it was alot cheaper to drive to the nearest airport and get a plane! that cost like £50 for both of us! :smile:

And ahh thats a shame that you don't like your course...I can see why you'd wanna change a southern city for a northern city! :biggrin:

I hope you sort out your grade thingy, i'm sure it'll be fine :biggrin: x

Haha indeed, people think i'm mad when i say i prefer the north! You've done really well getting that deal, i do want to visit at some point but i think it'll just be a look around as opposed to an open day. What course are you applying for, out of interest? :smile:

Aww thanks, i sure hope so. It is quite fun going through UCAS and getting excited about universities all over again :tongue:
Original post by nutter_butter93
I am :smile: what languages you doing?

Hi :biggrin: I'm doing French and German, what are you doing?
Reply 318
Ahh...I'll let you know what it's like! and ahh thats cool :smile: and not sure...I also have offers from Cardiff, Leicester and Bournemouth for the same course pretty much. Still waiting on leeds! Thinking of firming Newcastle and Cardiff Insurance...where else have you applied?

I applied to Sheffield, Newcastle, Bournemouth, LCC and UCA. Have offers from all besides Sheffield as they still havent replieeddd. Newcastle seems like a veryyy good choice though, really looking forward to visiting it in easter :smile: I might firm it after that. And good luck on Leeds!! :biggrin: What did you think about Bournemouth by the way? Did you apply to Multimedia Journalism there? x
Got an offer from Newcastle to do Architecture! :biggrin: Don't know whether I want to go! Why do you guys like Newcastle?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending