The Student Room Group

Breaking News: Iran fails in attempt to assassinate Saudi ambassador to US

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Democracy
That's nonsense, don't try and educate me on where Iran is located. Since when was the ME an Arab only club? You're right, the ME is "mostly" Arab, but Iran and Turkey are the notable exceptions to this. Hence the use of the word "mostly"...your words, not mine btw.

kkk looked on google. I was wrong. Iran is part of ME. Sorry

Anyway sorry for diverting away from the topic.
Oh those crazy Iranians...
Original post by MxSK
Who's going to speculate on the response from both sides as a result of this?

Well so far the regime controlled news outlets are studiously ignoring this story, as is the regime itself by the looks of it. If past events are anything to go by however, Ahmadinejad will no doubt make a speech implicating Jews, international capitalism, Zionism and the Holocaust in a massive conspiracy against the righteous regime of the Mullahs :h:

Original post by The_Male_Melons
kkk looked on google. I was wrong. Iran is part of ME. Sorry

Anyway sorry for diverting away from the topic.

Cool :yy:
Reply 23
Original post by Muscovite
This will end well

That should be the official motto of the Middle East.
Reply 24
Hopefully this doesn't lead to yet another war in the middle east.
Reply 25
Original post by The_Male_Melons
I don't the correct term. Iran is part of the the Persian thingy ma jig so I read somewhere on wiki.

Persian gulf?
Reply 26
Well so far the regime controlled news outlets are studiously ignoring this story, as is the regime itself by the looks of it. If past events are anything to go by however, Ahmadinejad will no doubt make a speech implicating Jews, international capitalism, Zionism and the Holocaust in a massive conspiracy against the righteous regime of the Mullahs :h:

Cool :yy:

I don't know, this seems pretty serious. I've always had the line of thought that if things actually got really serious, the regime would take it seriously but i don't know.
Like, all the zionism bull**** they usually spill has generally been used as a distraction. A distraction isn't going to help them here.

I want to know since when was there such a massive conflict with saudi arabia... i mean its been all talk hasn't it?

That's nonsense, don't try and educate me on where Iran is located. Since when was the ME an Arab only club? You're right, the ME is "mostly" Arab, but Iran and Turkey are the notable exceptions to this. Hence the use of the word "mostly"...your words, not mine btw.

Yeah Turkey is begging to be a part of the EU...as long as they are not in, they don't know how lucky they are...
Interesting. Wouldn't put it past the Iranians but also wouldn't past the Americans to fabricate the story in order- the first step in a more concentrated propaganda campaign to raise support for military intervention.
i dont see why iran would want to kill the saudi ambassador in washington. it just wouldnt be of iranian interest. sounds like they have made this up to impose more sanctions and possibly move closer to a military confrontation?
Reply 30
Original post by Inzamam99
Interesting. Wouldn't put it past the Iranians but also wouldn't past the Americans to fabricate the story in order- the first step in a more concentrated propaganda campaign to raise support for military intervention.

Western nations don't go around fabricating such serious claims. Saudi Arabia will want to read and see the information that the United States has which supports this claim. If the information is fabricated the Saudis will realise very quickly and the USA's reputation would be shattered.

Basic common sense tells you that the USA wouldn't fabricate such claims unless it wants to tank it's relationship with the entire Middle East.
Reply 31
Original post by pastpaper-guy
i dont see why iran would want to kill the saudi ambassador in washington. it just wouldnt be of iranian interest. sounds like they have made this up to impose more sanctions and possibly move closer to a military confrontation?

I'm pretty sure Iran despises Suadi Arabia for having such close ties with the US. I think they see it as a western puppet within the region, giving them a foot into the Middle-East.

And dont start with the conspiracy theories already :tongue:
Original post by Ferdowsi
Persian gulf?

Persian gulf. :sexface:

I wouldn't put it past them, working with Mexian drug cartels... :facepalm:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by ajp100688
Western nations don't go around fabricating such serious claims. Saudi Arabia will want to read and see the information that the United States has which supports this claim. If the information is fabricated the Saudis will realise very quickly and the USA's reputation would be shattered.

Basic common sense tells you that the USA wouldn't fabricate such claims unless it wants to tank it's relationship with the entire Middle East.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iraq_War

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Northwoods

:borat:
Ramin Mehmanparast (Islamic Republic spokesman) has denied the accusations and said the allegations of terrorism are an American fabrication.

This is breaking news on the BBC Persian news channel btw, I don't think an English source is yet available.

EDIT: Iranian state TV has also dismissed the allegations.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 35
Personally, cynical me thinks this all sounds a little bit too convenient :holmes: I saw the Breaking News headline earlier and just thought "Yeah... right... :colonhash:"
Reply 36

The Iraq War was a case of bad intelligence, not obvious falsifying of information. This subject has been gone over time and time again and there is no evidence of deliberate lying on either the British or American sides.

As for Northwoods, the President rejected it and it occurred in a much different political situation, during one of the most heightened periods of the Cold War. Furthermore it wasn't a case of blaming one nation for doing something against another, it was a American/Cuban issue, so the Americans would have lied if it continued. When you involve a third party that third party is going to want some answers, if you don't give them satisfactory answers it's going to become very embarrassing. Furthermore it was a CIA/Military plan, those guys plan for absolutely every eventuality and go through processes of drawing up mild and extreme plans for the President to choose from. Most of the extreme plans are never intended to be adopted and shouldn't be regarded as evidence of any administration's foreign affairs.

So neither really match your concept that the USA would openly fabricate such an act, declare it blatantly to the world and hope that they're not going to get found out; because if they had fabricated it, then it wouldn't take long in this day and age to prove so. Although being a raging anti-American like yourself, you're willing to believe anything so long as it neatly fits into your 'America as the antichrist' viewpoint.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 37
Ramin Mehmanparast (Islamic Republic spokesman) has denied the accusations and said the allegations of terrorism are an American fabrication.

This is breaking news on the BBC Persian news channel btw, I don't think an English source is yet available.

EDIT: Iranian state TV has also dismissed the allegations.

Cnn hasn`t been talking about anything else for the last 90 minutes at least.
Original post by T-ros
Cnn hasn`t been talking about anything else for the last 90 minutes at least.

Ha, no I meant I hadn't seen any other online news sources detailing the regime's response...though I'm sure by now it's been well documented.
Reply 39
Quoted from the Preet Bharara, the U.S. Attorney of New York:
We will not let other countries use our soil as a battleground,

Umm, okayyy... :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending