The Student Room Group

A levels, resits and degrees

Given that I am considering Big Four firms like KPMG and E&Y as well as very close competitors, I was wondering, how do these firms actually ascertain whether you had a resit or not?

I re-did a few of my A level modules as I was dissatisfied with them, but I don't think it'd materially impact their final grades (all As and Bs and would remain so without the resits), and it was 6 years ago. I am curious if they actually have a means of checking if I've done resits. I know KPMG isn't too fussed but I'm more concerned about E&Y, though in the end all they stipulate is no less than 300 UCAS points excluding resits, which I meet regardless. PWC as far as I know is the most stringent in this respect, even requesting resit results from you, but I'm not applying to them this year since I am focusing my efforts on KPMG, E&Y and a few other firms.

Moving on, I changed my degree subjects in my first year and decided not to go through with the course I was on. I sat the exams and everything and passed, but I don't mention it on my CV since IMO it was a waste of time and money. Do the Big Four search for these kind of things, or is the sort of vetting they do confirmation of degree results instead? Given that I returned abroad mostly to work during that wasted year, I don't see what it adds to my CV. My employer at the time can vouch for having worked for them that year. I'm just curious how they go about the vetting process. I mainly became focused career-wise with the degree I did the year after and ended up finishing. Sometimes I get the impression certain of these companies expect you to be born playing with an abacus instead of a rattle. My academics are good and I am up to scratch with accountancy, so I don't want these sort of things endangering my applications. I've already put forward applications to most firms I intend to apply to with the exception of E&Y.

Any advice on the matter?
(edited 12 years ago)
Anyone?
Reply 2
As far as i'm aware the Big 4 refer to Resits outside the 2 a level years. As in you went back whilst you at uni to resit or you had to resit a year. I know Ernst and Young when they confirmed my A-level results just photo copied my final A - Level results certificate.
Oh I see. It'd help if they actually specified this. I thought they meant any resit modules whatsoever.
I got in touch with PWC. Apparently it is any and all resits. I am just wondering how I'd go about finding these out as my school doesn't keep these results beyond 5 years.
Reply 5
I'd imagine the best bet would be the exam boards. Edexcel or aqa, or whoever it was back then I cant really remember. Sadly you may have to pay for this service though
Reply 6
I'd be surprised if they were especially anal about it - this sort of thing is usually the first hurdle to reduce the numbers in a mechanical and quick but reasonably fair way. Once you've interviewed and they like you and think you can bring something to the team it would be odd to seek our reasons to exclude you at the end. Especially with EY the focus is on skills and competencies rather than grades. I would not worry too much - just have a clear explanation ready in case it is queried.

Out of curiosity, why would you apply to KPMG and EY and not the others? Seems like you're reducing your chances in an already quite limited field...
Reply 7
hey guys i was wondering:
does doing another two brand new a-levels after completing the ones you chose to do for two years count as doing a resit? hope you get back to me as soon as you can thanks in advance :rolleyes:
Original post by SRVN
hey guys i was wondering:
does doing another two brand new a-levels after completing the ones you chose to do for two years count as doing a resit? hope you get back to me as soon as you can thanks in advance :rolleyes:

Your best bet is checking with the individual firm. Each firm may have a different policy on this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending