Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
sorry the questionnaires for courtauld, forgot to mention ^ :smile:
banned
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 42
Original post by Eviexx

Original post by Eviexx
Hello, I'm applying for History of Art too!

I've applied to:
Oxford - Got an interview eeekk!
Courtauld
UCL
Nottingham - Offer (ABB/AAC)
and Birmingham - Offer (ABB)

I've not heard anything from the Courtauld - not even an email saying that they have my application!! - has anyone had any contact with them?

I think the Courtauld send out the questionnaire nearer, or after the Jan 15th deadline for UCAS applications :smile: I went on the open day last month and I think that's what they insinuated. And to Eviexx- I've got an interview too at Oxford- I swear I've never been more scared about anything in my entire life!
banned
(edited 12 years ago)
I've applied to study HoA at the University of Glasgow, Goldsmiths, the University of Bristol, theUniversity of St. Andrews & the Courtauld Institute.
So far, I've got offers from Glasgow and Goldsmiths, both ABB.
I'm off to the Courtauld Open Day on 2.12.11, so might ask about dates for the questionnaire then.
Reply 45
Original post by Darlingxoxo
Ooo! Which college for oxford? Waiting on Oxford, UCL and Courtauld also!

Original post by TrixieBea
I think the Courtauld send out the questionnaire nearer, or after the Jan 15th deadline for UCAS applications :smile: I went on the open day last month and I think that's what they insinuated. And to Eviexx- I've got an interview too at Oxford- I swear I've never been more scared about anything in my entire life!

I've applied to St Peter's college - which colleges have you both applied to?
And TrixieBea I know - It's so scary! Also, which date is your interview on?
Reply 46
Hi everyone! I am not from England, so I am a bit "lost".
I am looking for master programmes in HoA, focusing on modern and contemporary art, curating. Which universities do u recommend? Courtauld, Goldsmith, UCL, York or Glasgow, Edinburgh (what is the difference between these?)
Thanks a lot!
Reply 47
Original post by DigbyChickenCaesar
I've applied to study HoA at the University of Glasgow, Goldsmiths, the University of Bristol, theUniversity of St. Andrews & the Courtauld Institute.
So far, I've got offers from Glasgow and Goldsmiths, both ABB.
I'm off to the Courtauld Open Day on 2.12.11, so might ask about dates for the questionnaire then.

Well done on your offers, I'll be applying to Glasgow too :smile: do you mind me asking what your (predicted)/grades are?
See you at the Courtauld on Fri!
Reply 48
Original post by Eviexx

Original post by Eviexx
I've applied to St Peter's college - which colleges have you both applied to?
And TrixieBea I know - It's so scary! Also, which date is your interview on?

I've applied for St Peters too :biggrin: And my interview is on the 5th, although I'm going down the night before because it isn't physically possible for me to get a train in the morning and be in Oxford for 9am!
Reply 49
Hi guys, I'm not applying for history of art (but my friend is), I was just wondering if any of you took art history AS level/A level? basically we did it for the first time at our school last year, and failed epicly... most people got D's and E's, my friend who's applying to do history of art at uni and has been getting A's throughout the year got a D and was so cut up about it... I was just wondering if it's been a tricky subject with anyone else/if results have been surprising. the school's putting it down to bad teaching but in all honesty our teacher was pretty good and I really enjoyed the classes... I think we weren't prepared for the required writing style of the exam and what kind of response was needed in the analysis sections of the exam... oh well.
Reply 50
Original post by TrixieBea
I've applied for St Peters too :biggrin: And my interview is on the 5th, although I'm going down the night before because it isn't physically possible for me to get a train in the morning and be in Oxford for 9am!

Oooh exciting! My interview is on the 5th as well!!! But I'm travelling to Oxford in the morning :smile:
banned
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 52
Original post by Lumos
Hi guys, I'm not applying for history of art (but my friend is), I was just wondering if any of you took art history AS level/A level? basically we did it for the first time at our school last year, and failed epicly... most people got D's and E's, my friend who's applying to do history of art at uni and has been getting A's throughout the year got a D and was so cut up about it... I was just wondering if it's been a tricky subject with anyone else/if results have been surprising. the school's putting it down to bad teaching but in all honesty our teacher was pretty good and I really enjoyed the classes... I think we weren't prepared for the required writing style of the exam and what kind of response was needed in the analysis sections of the exam... oh well.

Hi Lumos, I did History AS and actually did much better than I expected - but my teachers were known harsh markers so my AS result was a very pleasant surprise! Unfortunately exams are a lot more about exam technique nowadays so even if you know the content well you can simply answer the questions in the wrong way. That happened with my English Literature paper - over half of the people in my class who were predicted A's or B's ended up getting C's or D's, including me. It's ridiculous but the people who were good at exams got better grades than the people who were actually good at the subject!
Reply 53
Original post by Lumos

Hey Lumos, yeah I did much worse than expected in my as history of art as well. Was predicted a high A and got a C so I didn't apply to Cambridge this year cos I don't think they'd have even interviewed me. It's a really weird exam, I'd been getting As all year and then bombed. My teacher says that they often don't give you marks for points unless they're the exact ones in the mark scheme. Basically my friend got 100% in both papers through learning the pattern of previous mark schemes. I'm retaking and am probably taking a gap year cos it's the subject I wanna do at uni but I applied this year anyway to york, bristol, edinburgh, ucl and the courtauld. Got an offer from york on friday for AAB wooo.

Sorry to ask again but has anyone heard from any of the others cos some of my friends have heard for subjects like arch and anth (from ucl and bristol) but I don't know many other people doing history of art?
Reply 54
Original post by hatharper
Hey Lumos, yeah I did much worse than expected in my as history of art as well. Was predicted a high A and got a C so I didn't apply to Cambridge this year cos I don't think they'd have even interviewed me. It's a really weird exam, I'd been getting As all year and then bombed. My teacher says that they often don't give you marks for points unless they're the exact ones in the mark scheme. Basically my friend got 100% in both papers through learning the pattern of previous mark schemes. I'm retaking and am probably taking a gap year cos it's the subject I wanna do at uni but I applied this year anyway to york, bristol, edinburgh, ucl and the courtauld. Got an offer from york on friday for AAB wooo.

Sorry to ask again but has anyone heard from any of the others cos some of my friends have heard for subjects like arch and anth (from ucl and bristol) but I don't know many other people doing history of art?

100 percent?! wow... it's probably about exam technique then... I think it's a relatively new subject, so everything's still in the works... anyway, my friend got an offer from york too, despite her grade, but I think they said something about it in the reference. she didn't apply to any of those other places, but she also got an offer from UEA and sussex. not sure about the others, sorry!
Reply 55
Original post by Lumos
I was just wondering if it's been a tricky subject with anyone else/if results have been surprising.

I'm applying for Art History, and study it at AS/A2 - my college had the same problems, so don't know if it's an exam board thing? We're on Edexcel, I was predicted A throughout the year, and got a C in one paper, B overall (lots of people also got D's and E's) my sixth form complained and everyone was put up by 2 marks, but didn't change my grade :/

And I'm applying to Cambridge (somehow I've got an interview next week), and offers from York, Warwick, Leicester and Reading, study History of Art, History, Eng lit and Music at A2, if that helps.

Good luck everyone! :smile: :smile:
Reply 56
Original post by RH114495
I'm applying for Art History, and study it at AS/A2 - my college had the same problems, so don't know if it's an exam board thing? We're on Edexcel, I was predicted A throughout the year, and got a C in one paper, B overall (lots of people also got D's and E's) my sixth form complained and everyone was put up by 2 marks, but didn't change my grade :/

And I'm applying to Cambridge (somehow I've got an interview next week), and offers from York, Warwick, Leicester and Reading, study History of Art, History, Eng lit and Music at A2, if that helps.

Good luck everyone! :smile: :smile:

sounds like we got exactly the same! I got an A in one, C in another paper and a low B overall. still, the highest in the class :/ I wish my school had done something, but they didn't, probably because it was a new subject with a small number of students taking it. But we didn't get re-marks, an investigation, special consideration, anything. I can assure you if it was a subject like biology they would have done something about it, but nooooooo...... :s-smilie:
Reply 57
courtauld questionnaire... hows everyone getting on?!
banned
(edited 12 years ago)
banned
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest