The Student Room Group

Alan Turing

i have an essay due , and i need help answering some questions . if there is anyone who has done a essay on Alan Turing please help !
Who was alan turing and what is the turing test ? what are the characteristics of a good turing test questions ? in what common circumstances is a form of reverse turing test used ?:smile:
Reply 1
WWII code breaker. Gay. Committed suicide. National hero.
Sorry I cant say more, i reccommend wikipedia, I am told it does essays for people these days
Reply 2
Alan Turing saved Britain, then the British government dicked all over him for lulz anyway.

Put in some big words and you've got an essay!
Reply 3
He helped/directed the cracking of the enigma code, created by the Nazi's. Because he did this, it meant we could read what one Nazi was saying to another; therefore, we knew when we were getting attacked or where their HQ's were etc.

The government and a lot of other people bullied him because he was homosexual though. It was suspected that this may have been the reason why he committed suicide.

'Alan Turing, the father of Computer Science'.
I believe the Turing test is to do with artificial intelligence - a computer has to be able to pass it to be classed as actually 'thinking' independently. More than that, I can't say. (Alan Turing himself is comemmorated with a street name in Manchester and committed suicide by eating an apple impregnanted with cyanide. I've been told that this is the origin of the Apple logo, but I don't know if this is urban myth.)
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending