The Student Room Group
Dental Students, University of Central Lancashire
University of Central Lancashire
Preston
Visit website

Anyone doing games development ?

Thinking of doing this course next year because it's pretty close to where I live. What's the course like? What languages do you learn apart from c++? Would you recommend it?
Reply 1
Currently in the second year doing games development and i'd definitely recommend it. First year is the same as other computing courses with the addition of a games module.

The tutors are all ace and willing to help with any problems you might have at all.

In terms of other languages, one of the modules in the first year is "entertainment computing" which teaches Flash and AS3, and there is also a computing skills module which teaches PHP and MySQL. I know this year the freshers did an activity to do with android development for the first few weeks but you'd have to ask one of them about it.

If you are thinking of doing the flash side of stuff more i'd recommend doing the games media course which concentrates more on that kind of aspect. By the end of the first year about half of the people doing games dev had moved course due to the difficulty of the module.

If you already have some programming knowledge then you shouldn't have any problems at all, but even if you don't the introduction to C++ module is pretty comprehensive and eases you into it quite well. Be prepared to be dropped in at the deep end though in the games module, the assignments can be pretty demanding unless you are willing to put the time and effort in.

Take a look at some of the stuff on http://www.gamesnorthwest.net/resources/modules/co1301/materials.html (the first year games module) and feel free to PM me or post on this thread if you have any more questions :smile:
Dental Students, University of Central Lancashire
University of Central Lancashire
Preston
Visit website

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending