The Student Room Group

how does DSA work for me?

i have a physical disability where i can't write for very long or carry heavy loads (a lot of other stuff also, but these are the ones relevant to my question). i'm studying computer science, so i have a feeling that i will be allowed a laptop or at least a netbook from DSA. i'm commuting about an hour and a quarter to and from each day, so i was wondering if i would be able to get a kindle on my DSA. I can't carry lots of books each day to and from uni, and the laptop because there is a lot of computer work on my course and it would be useful to do some on the commuting journey to and from uni. I don't know if i would be able to get two electronic items on DSA. i would buy the kindle myself but i really can't afford it right now.

i don't want to have to ask if there's no point and the assessor is just trying to catch me out or something.
Reply 1
Are most of your books available on the Kindle?
Reply 2
Original post by River85
Are most of your books available on the Kindle?

yes they are. all the books except 1 for the whole year. but the one exception has a second book on the list which isn't identical to the course as it extends on what we're meant to learn.
Reply 3
argh 128 views and no response!
Reply 4
I don't know! Can you ask your uni's disability/access centre?
Reply 5
Original post by futuredentist
yes they are. all the books except 1 for the whole year. but the one exception has a second book on the list which isn't identical to the course as it extends on what we're meant to learn.

In that case it might be possible. As the Kindle (and ebook readers in general) are still relatively new and not necessarily particularly well represented in certain areas of higher education yet, it may depend on the assessor. I'm not expert. Just put your case to him/her and they are likely to try and accomodation your request if you can justify it. If they can't they may find an alternative solution.
I would certainly be looking at either a lightweight laptop (or possibly netbook), and depending on the severity of the condition, either a Kindle or an iPad - The beauty of the iPad is that it is light, can read all the ebooks that the Kindle can, but also be used as a notetaker, organiser, etc.

Assessors are keen to recommend new technology when appropriate, the struggle we have is with convincing funding bodies of our recommendations (who may not be so up on new technology) ....that situation is slowly improving though.

If the needs assessment is carried out correctly, you are completely up front and honest with the assessor, and there is strong medical evidence, then I'm sure the assessor can state a strong case.

Best of luck.

Quick Reply

Latest