The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I did a grand total of...6 (SIX. *facepalm*) IGCSE's.

Wish I had taken more. A language subject would be nice!
Reply 381
Original post by sevenbooks

Original post by sevenbooks
I did a grand total of...6 (SIX. *facepalm*) IGCSE's.

Wish I had taken more. A language subject would be nice!

that is good well done
most people rarely get out with 4 hah!
I wish I'd taken History. I wish I hadn't taken Statistics - I didn't learn a thing and I hated it but my school told us people would look favourably on it - do they ****.
Reply 383
GCSE are so insignificant.. just make sure you get at least 5 GCSEs with at least grade C in maths and Eng.. its the A-levels that are really important when applying to uni
I wish I hadn't taken art. I wish I'd done psychology instead.
At AS level I should have taken English lit instead of French.
Should have done triple science instead of double science and drama.
Reply 386
shouldn't of picked art
Reply 387
I don't regret any of my options. I'm just disappointed with some of my grades.
Reply 388
Original post by criminal
GCSE are so insignificant.. just make sure you get at least 5 GCSEs with at least grade C in maths and Eng.. its the A-levels that are really important when applying to uni

Not really... 5 C's would severly limit your university and employment prospects. Yes, A levels are a lot more important but you need to get the best GCSE's you possibly can, and it's not just about the grades. GCSE knowledge is a good base for A level and then university studies- for example, I didn't take art GCSE and as such was not allowed to take it at a level.
Overall I'd say take what you enjoy and you should end up enjoying them, and wanting to carry them on to further study :smile: overall I enjoyed all of my GCSE's (apart from french, but it was compulsory to take a language and french wasn't quite as bad as german so...) :P
I.T and graphics more than anything!! Hate coursework!! :colone:
I currently enjoy my GCSE options. However, one of my biggest regrets was not taking Triple or Additional Science. I do well in Geography, but I would have rather taken History alone rather than studying both (even if I get As and A*s in both of them). I also took ICT and I get 3 GCSEs in it! But, I find it wrong that a subject so easy is given so many GCSEs, in my opinion, it's ridiculous (no wonder there's a hate for vocational courses, plus they're scrapping ICT for computer science). I really wish I revised hard for the year 9 exam, especially since I was expected a 7c (the level in my school that lets you take Triple Science), sadly I ended up with a 6c, partly my fault, as well as the teacher (no wonder we got a new teacher this year!). But, at least I do well in my options, getting mostly As, with the odd B and A* and at least I do two languages, Spanish and French (completed in year 9) :biggrin:
ART- time consuming, pretty much quantity over quality. Started off great and got an A in my first two projects, but when it got to my mock exam I just got so frustrated and could no longer be bothered. Restarted my final piece four times, then tore it up- resulting in a spectacular C/D.
WORST SUBJECT EVER. I'm looking forward to dropping it at sixth form!
Reply 392
Travel & Tourism

It was a B Tech so basically meant nothing when I applied for college, I also went on to highly academic subjects such as Law so it was no help at all.
Not only is it a completely useless lesson, its SO boring as well! -All we did was make PowerPoints and posters.

I would never encourage anyone to take Travel & Tourism at GCSE & don't even think it should be an option.
Reply 393
Original post by tuckla07
Not really... 5 C's would severly limit your university and employment prospects. Yes, A levels are a lot more important but you need to get the best GCSE's you possibly can, and it's not just about the grades. GCSE knowledge is a good base for A level and then university studies- for example, I didn't take art GCSE and as such was not allowed to take it at a level.
Overall I'd say take what you enjoy and you should end up enjoying them, and wanting to carry them on to further study :smile: overall I enjoyed all of my GCSE's (apart from french, but it was compulsory to take a language and french wasn't quite as bad as german so...) :P

im doing my A2.. i personally, got 10a-c grades..
Reply 394
Original post by criminal
im doing my A2.. i personally, got 10a-c grades..

yeah, but that doesn't mean you should encourage people to not try in theirs :P That comments wasn't really intended for you, more as a follow-up for anyone who read it, didn't want an enitre year thinking their GCSE's didn't matter :tongue: because, to be honest, your comment was a load of tosh
You also seemed to forget that not everyone does A-levels, in which case they matter even more
(edited 12 years ago)
I regret taking graphic art, i enjoed it but it was just too time consuming
Wish I'd switched to short course RE, I might have done better.
Reply 397
Currently doing a degree. But looking back I would say ICT what a load of crap and I ended up getting a D in it. I'm not bad with computers have grown up around them and I am getting very high marks computation modules at uni which includes programming. But seriously we were barely taught much and I am still not sure what they wanted for a good grade.

Kinda wish I had done geography at GCSE. I did it at A level without a GCSE even though you were possibly meant to do GCSE to be accepted and ended up getting an A. I really enjoyed it too as we had some really good teachers.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 398
Drama GCSE. Too many bloody essays to write and no-one told us how to bloody do them until a month before the exam. :angry: :mad:

<3 x
Reply 399
Original post by LETSJaM
Drama GCSE. Too many bloody essays to write and no-one told us how to bloody do them until a month before the exam. :angry: :mad:

<3 x

haha too true! I loved every second of the lessons, but I didn't even know what was in the exam until 2 weeks before, and turns out the teacher was working to the wrong syllabus anyways :colonhash: ... anyways the best mark in the class turned out to be a D :mad: luckily she was amazing at the practical coursework so pretty much had 100% on that so it all worked out ok :smile:

Latest