The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

[B]MEDIA AND FRENCH![/B
Don't make the same mistakes I've had to. It was compulsory though for me to pick French. But if you've got a choice don't pick it. Unless of course you enjoy it. :biggrin:
Food technology is probably the worst GCSE subject, the amount of work you have to do arghhhhhh
Reply 502
I regret taking Sociology. I mean, don't get me wrong, I love the subject but THREE EXAMS during the summer. HELL NO!!
Definitely Art GCSE. It's all about the quantity, rather than the quality of your work. I worked so hard, spending hours drawing/painting and even though I am one of the best in the class, I am going to end up with one of the worst grades. I know that even though my work is lovely, I just don't have enough of it- purely because I am such a perfectionist and can't bare to put rubbish in my sketchbook. The stress of it all led me to screwing up my final piece in the exam, walking out and taking down my exhibition. I refused to hand my books in as I know despite working harder than I have ever done in my life before, my teacher will still be disappointed because I haven't fulfilled the 'number of pages requirement'.

I was predicted an A*- but I have been told that is looking very bleak- my chances are a D at best. That grade will forever taint my records and I really hope that employers do not ask for GCSE results when I am older and looking for a job- mainly for this reason. When people hear that I got a D or an E or whatever, they will immediately think- oh, that girl must be terrible at Art- it is such a 'easy' subject. I know myself that it is not the case and (not meaning to brag) but I do have a lot of talent. I had hoped to do something arty in the future but as a result of this GCSE- I will have no chance now. The whole thing has really upset me and if I had known what this subject was going to be like- I never in a million years would have picked it!

My advice would be to think very carefully about choosing Art- it is a subject where you cannot afford to be a perfectionist like me. Do lots of pages and don't spend too long creating one magnificent piece of artwork- because trust me- no matter how great it is- it still won't get you as many marks as doing 40+ pages.
I chose art, geography, french, business and photography as my options. I regret art and business, and slight regret about geography. Business and geography are tedious and common sense. Art is just... Dghai SanDisk... -.- the only reason I kept business is because I'm doing AS level early with it. Otherwise ****! :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my LT18i
Reply 505
I took German... and now I wish I was dead.
I don't. As I approached my DT exam I really started to regret doing it because the teachers had basically just thrown a textbook at us and said 'learn it' two weeks before the exam. But I did okay in the end and now it's over and there's nothing else I would have done instead, so it's all good :smile:

I'm just glad I didn't take triple science. All of my friends did (without exception) because they all thought it looked better academically but really it was hell (mostly because the school makes us do IGCSE Chem if we do triple). Very few of those friends who took triple now do sciences at A-Level, and one girl who was in my double science class is now doing Chem A-Level. If you're not going to do science at A-Level, why bother with triple science at GCSE?
Art. I ended up living in that classroom more than I did my own home towards the end
Reply 508
I don't really regret any of the subjects that I've chosen but I regret not doing any or trying to do a few GCSE'S independently cos my school only offers nine and most people are getting 12 or 13.

But it's too late now
Reply 509
i'm scottish so i did standard grades, but i took gcse art and i cannot tell you how much i regret it :| not only was it extremely time consuming, my teacher was an absolute cow. so glad it's over now :smile:
Graphics
Nope. The only ones I really regret are some of the cumpulsory ones. They were General Studies/Humanities (It is so boring, and I would've rather taken Geography instead. Starting Point my ***) and PE. I'm better at Academic subjects and since I am bad at concentrating in like Tennis, Football, Rounders etc. because of my blind eye and I can't see it, I got hit in the face by the football all the time. Couldn't dodge it!)
Reply 512
I regret taking Music so much. I would've done so much better if I had taken Drama! Music (edexcel) is filled with such useless information which, in reality, nobody will ever ever question you on outside of the exam...
Reply 513
Kinda wish I chose Triple Science instead of Additional as I turned out to be good at it! Also wish I didn't choose IT Diploma, but don't know what I would have taken instead :s-smilie:
Reply 514
I regret taking music too!
None of the things you learn are useful unless you want to be a composer when you're older. Also in some ways it's one of the hardest options I chose. It takes a lot of original ideas and time devotion for you compositions. Then there is so much you have to learn about all 12 set works, of which you only have to write one essay about one piece.
Product design.....ugh. I wish I did triple science instead.
For everyone moaning about OCR Nationals ICT, there the equivalent to 4 GCSE's at grades, D-F, what did you expect?
I definitely regret not picking Art GCSE. :frown:
I decided to do; ICT, RE, Urdu and History. I don't think I regret the options I chose, however I might have decided to take Drama instead of ICT because my ICT doesn't really teach well at all. We kind of have to get on with it ourselves but I get 3 GCSEs out of it so..
Reply 519
definetly regret taking Music. In all honesty, one of the worst mistakes of my life.
Absolutely hate it with a passion.

Latest