The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 560
A language! Photography was a great way to be creative but I'd have much preferred doing French or Spanish :frown:
I'm taking French, Music, Latin and RS alongside Eng Lit, Eng Lang, Maths, FSMQ and Double Science. Kind of wish I'd had the opportunity to do triple, but it's not that big a deal. I love French and RS, sad to not be taking them for A level. Good at Latin so don't regret it, even though the teacher's really bad :P Sometimes I regret taking Music because one of my teachers is evil, as is the exam; but the coursework is quite fun and the Grade 5s in instruments and theory I get alongside it will help in uni. Plus I would've done History if not music and my friends say it's evil :/
I regret taking Art, it was a waste of time because you had to do so much work and you couldn't even choose what the topic was. I should have taken Physics and then I would've had all three sciences.
Original post by mynameisntbobk
Not sure if I've posted here before :s-smilie:

I think I may have too, oh well I've posted again if I did last year :laugh:.
I don't really regret any of my GCSEs, the consensus here seems to be Art and French. I did Art, put a lot of work in (despite having some kind of breakdown in the exam! It was so stressful XDD) and got a A*. I don't do it at A-Level, but I still paint and draw as a hobby. I think without GCSE Art I wouldn't have the skills for journaling etc, and anything that helps me in 'real life' e.g not just working for exams, can't be too bad. I was forced (by which i mean they basically said i wouldnt get into Uni without GCSE French... i know:/) to do GCSE French in year 11, we had to do the whole 2 year course in about 7 months and we had to do foundation- got a C, and I'm damn proud considering I was basically learning a language from scratch.

My only regret would be not doing geography (the weird option block in my school wouldn't allow me to do History and Geography, and History is my baby XD.) I do it for A-Level now and I love it! :smile: History is still my favourite though.

The only GCSE I didn't enjoy was English Literature. Not because of the books (Of mice and Men and To Kill a Mockingbird are now up there with my favourites!) but the nature of the exam. It was ridiculous. Revised the major themes e.g loneliness and family...and got asked about 1930s society or something. I liked English language, but my provisional grade was a A* in year 10, but because it didn't get moderated till the end of year 11 and the grade boundaries changed I only got a A- I know this isn't bad, but its just frustrating to know I could have gotten higher XD The creative writing was fun though.

going to stop writing now before I end up telling you my life story.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 565
Art, it takes up so much time *yawn*

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 566
Regret taking French...year 9s out there..don't take it lol

Reply 567
german
Geography.
I don't particularly regret any of my subject choices, although this is probably unsurprising given that we were only allowed to select 3, one of which had to be History or Geography - I went for History, Triple Science and Media Studies.

The maximum number of GCSEs anyone could receive at my school is 10, and that required them to select Double PE. Most averaged out at 9. We were really quite limited in terms of GCSE options, as a pre-selected language (in my case, German), Humanities subject and short-course RS, Citizenship and Prep For Working Life were all compulsory.

If pushed, I'd say that out of my two genuine 'options' I probably most regret Media Studies. Although it is interesting and beyond easy, and ties into my career plans, it is obviously perceived as 'soft'. However, it was the only option available that wasn't a BTEC, save for the Technologies and Art, so the best of a bad lot.

(edited 11 years ago)
I completely regret choosing GCSE ICT, evidenced by the fact that I should be doing ICT homework right now :s-smilie:. We never seem to do anything relevant or interesting, it's just drill and kill knowledge regurgitation. I'm supposed to be doing well in it, though.

Completely happy with everything else so far :smile:
I regret doing edexcel 360 triple science wasted two of my option spaces and the raw mark boundaries drastically change each year :frown: especially if more people do it

Also it didn't give me any advantage at A level for doing extra science and I wish I did something like French or geography instead :/

Everyone at my school regrets History!
Reply 573
Art! My only C :frown:
I regret taking German, wish I could change it.
You'll never be enjoying all your subjects in the heat of coursework or exams- ask me last year, I'd have told you I regretted everything :wink:

Looking back, it was worth taking the extra effort for Triple Science, because it's useful to just show you as having something extra... French was always a love.
And the rewarding feeling of getting a good mark in Graphics after battles with coursework just helped me find my passion again.

The only thing I really regret is History. I got an A*, and I worked hard, but I didn't enjoy it. I took Religious Studies as an AS level, and I really wish I'd had that basis of GCSE Religious Studies to back me up!!
Reply 576
On top of what is required, my four options were Triple Science, German, Food Tech and Leisure & Tourism.

I thought I had a nicely spead out set of subjects, as my targets are all B's, apart from two A's in Maths and German.

I instantly regretted Food Tech and Leisure & Tourism.

The less academic subjects are so mundane and dull, I don't have a clue what was going through my mind when I chose them.

Despite my target being a B, and I'm currently working at an A, if I don't get an A* in this L&T paper I will be so disheartened. If you have enough common sense, anyone who hasn't studied L&T could easily get an A* on the paper.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
I hated food tech and French

Reply 578
I wish I did Business Studies, as that is apparently an easy A*!
lol, it seems geography is quite popular in this thread, But yes geography was a pain during my GCSEs years. Human geography was terribly boring. The controlled assessment was very long, to top it all off I had a rubbish teacher was pretty much a recipe for disaster.

Latest