The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Considering dropping out of uni and doing an undergradute PPE at the OU

Basically, I'm 18 and studying Economics at Durham university at the moment and the whole university life really doesn't suit me. I'm usually a social person but I'm just not enjoying myself and don't feel like I fit in here.
As I've only just started, I'm going to wait until at least Christmas until I make a decision, but I just want to look at some other options. If I do PPE at the open university, will this look considerably worse to employers than my economics degree from Durham? (which is quite a high ranking university) As this is my main concern.
The other thing is, I hear a lot of people who do the OU are also in a full time job. What type of jobs do most people have at the OU? As I'm really keen on this idea as well.
Cheers.
My manager at Clarks shoes just graduated from the OU with a BA in International Studies, she had previously gone to Cardiff and spent a year there but like you just didn't like the university life so dropped out and decided to do her degree with OU.
When she started her degree however, she wasn't the manager, she was a full time team leader, who in the past 2 years has been promoted to assistant manager and then to manager to a fairly big store, which when you think about it is extremely quick!
I asked her about it and she said she did prefer it because she was able to work and study at the same time, she didn't have to give anything up and also OU has cheaper fees and since she was working full time on quite a generous wage she has already paid off all her tuition fees and so is in no debt! So as far as I can see and what she is telling me it has worked out really well for her, she has a great job with the prospects of leaving and pursuing an entirely different career if she wishes, no debt and money to spare to go climb Mount Everest next month! Oh and she's only 22 so she has achieved pretty much everything some people wont until they are probably 40.
This is just an example, I am sure there are many other jobs you take up full time though but if you're really dedicated then start researching now :smile:
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
It depends what you want to do.

As you have said Durham is a very good university and the fact you study there will do you a lot of favours when it comes to applying for graduate jobs. You will also gain a few friends along the way that could help you when looking for jobs.

However if you really do not like it then you could get an OU degree and still apply for similar jobs, as your A-Level results would still ensure that you meet the criteria.

One thing though you will need to be prepared to give a good answer to the question of why you 'dropped out' of the course at Durham. Some people may not ask as they could consider it personal.

I don't think that the OU would look bad, however an Economics degree from Durham would look very good.
Reply 3
Hmm.. tricky. As mariejulian says being a uni dropout doesn't mean you can't go on to be successful. But as Douglas says many would wonder why you gave up on a decent subject degree at a top university.

Also, how likely will you get a job especially at 18? This forum's full of young people struggling to find any type of work. Of course, you will be eligible for an OU student loan from next September.
I was thinking of doing a post a-level accountancy course, alongside my OU degree, which several firms in London are offering.
If you can get onto one of those schemes than you would probably not have time for OU as you would be studying ACA instead.

However that is actually a good idea if you don't like university. Just don't quit uni until you get the confirmation and contract for the job.

Once you are qualified you can then complete a degree by distance learning. However no doubt it would be then more for personal reasons than career.
By the way, just to clarify. I assumed you meant the 'school leaver' route that the 'Big 4' types offer.

Like this:

http://www.kpmgcareers.co.uk/SchoolLeavers%27Programme/SchoolLeavers%27Programme_%281730%29.aspx?pg=1730

http://careers.deloitte.com/united-kingdom/students/country_custom2.aspx?CountryContentID=16912

However it seems that you actually still spend time at a university, you just also spend time with the firm.

The KPMG one actual offers the scheme via Durham.
I'm not with the OU but I've also been considering it for a while, and according to people I've spoken to and things I've read about it, the OU is very respected by employers. There's a big OU chat thread on TSR if you want to speak to people on there, as they can be very helpful :yep:

Original post by mariejulian
My manager at Clarks shoes just graduated from the OU with a BA in International Studies, she had previously gone to Cardiff and spent a year there but like you just didn't like the university life so dropped out and decided to do her degree with OU.
When she started her degree however, she wasn't the manager, she was a full time team leader, who in the past 2 years has been promoted to assistant manager and then to manager to a fairly big store, which when you think about it is extremely quick!
I asked her about it and she said she did prefer it because she was able to work and study at the same time, she didn't have to give anything up and also OU has cheaper fees and since she was working full time on quite a generous wage she has already paid off all her tuition fees and so is in no debt! So as far as I can see and what she is telling me it has worked out really well for her, she has a great job with the prospects of leaving and pursuing an entirely different career if she wishes, no debt and money to spare to go climb Mount Everest next month! Oh and she's only 22 so she has achieved pretty much everything some people wont until they are probably 40.
This is just an example, I am sure there are many other jobs you take up full time though but if you're really dedicated then start researching now :smile:

So let me get this straight: she dropped out of Cardiff Uni at 19 and it only took her three years to do an OU degree alongside her full-time job? That's pretty amazing as I heard that it usually takes several years to do an OU degree. Good on your manager though and thanks for sharing this awesome story :smile:
Original post by DouglasBrown
By the way, just to clarify. I assumed you meant the 'school leaver' route that the 'Big 4' types offer.

Like this:

http://www.kpmgcareers.co.uk/SchoolLeavers%27Programme/SchoolLeavers%27Programme_%281730%29.aspx?pg=1730

http://careers.deloitte.com/united-kingdom/students/country_custom2.aspx?CountryContentID=16912

However it seems that you actually still spend time at a university, you just also spend time with the firm.

The KPMG one actual offers the scheme via Durham.

Yes, I've been looking at the 'big 4' school leaver options. I know KPMG do a scheme through Durham, but I'd rather not do that considering I don't enjoy university life. And Ernst and Young do a scheme where you can go straight into the accountancy course and don't have to do a degree alongside it.
Reply 9
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
So let me get this straight: she dropped out of Cardiff Uni at 19 and it only took her three years to do an OU degree alongside her full-time job? That's pretty amazing as I heard that it usually takes several years to do an OU degree. Good on your manager though and thanks for sharing this awesome story :smile:

A very common misconception - you can complete any 360 point OU degree in 3 years, as long as you're doing 120 points a year (same as at a brick uni).. Most people just choose to take longer, by doing 60 or 90 points a year, so they have less pressure on themselves and can manage it better alongside work or family commitments :smile:
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom

Yep thats pretty much it, saw her graduation a few weeks ago. She's a really dedicated person the last three years have literally been devoted to her degree and her job. It's one of those things anybody can do but they have to dedicate so much effort and time into what they do to achieve it but I'm so proud of her :smile:
I began studying PPE full time at OU in september. I was previously at manchester university studying history and international politics, but dropped out because, like you, I didn't really fit in with the people I lived with, and the whole experience was pretty horrible tbh! Sometimes its just not meant to be aye.

Mate, don't worry about where you got your degree from unless you went to oxbidge. What employers look for is the class of honours and the subject studied. PPE is a complex inter-disciplinary approach into decision making and analytical research methods, it is highly attractive to most employers, not to mention extremely interesting as well. I am only a month into the course and I can honestly say it is the best decision I have ever made. The standard of teaching and feedback rivals and in some cases beats the quality I was getting at my former redbrick and In some respects the course is harder then degrees at built universities, because their you only have to get 70% to get a first, at OU it is 80%!

What's so great as well is that you can complete you degree in three years (take 120 credits per year) like normal and squeeze in working part time to earn extra cash! The degrees also cost 1/3rd less, not to mention the fact you don't have to talk to people/see people and can avoid the social life! Did I mention the OU uses teachers from the london school of economics and university of london, and it has the highest satisfaction ratings from students then any other university in the world?

As for the question what do graduates do - all sorts of things - teaching, public service, law, finance, research. But its worth remembering a degree does not guarantee you a job - I know people who did maths at britstol uni and work as checkout operators in banks. I also know people who did media studies at manchester polytechnic (one of the lowest ranked uni's in the UK) and work at PR companies in london. What gets you a job interview is your c.v., what gets you the job is your confidence, skills, and personality - you cannot buy these no matter where you go.

As for studying at OU, ask any current or former students and they will sing the same old tune that I have... Good luck.
By the way, you will need to join the OU before September 2012 to avoid the rise in fee's, so get your skate's on.
Original post by saturatedlies
By the way, you will need to join the OU before September 2012 to avoid the rise in fee's, so get your skate's on.

This.

They only go up to £6000, but you have to remember that it's no longer a grant system anymore; now it's a loan system.
Original post by saturatedlies

Thank you so muh for your help (and everyone elses for that matter,) it's been really useful. Although I'm still not sure whether or not to drop out of uni, so if I applied in say July 2012, would I still be eligible for the lower tuition fees?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 15
The info on the transitional arrangements is here
if I applied in say July 2012, would I still be eligible for the lower tuition fees?

You need to have begun a course between September 2011 and July 2012 to avoid the rise. Basically, you will need to try and get on the introduction to social sciences module starting in January 2012 (the core first unit for the PPE degree) before it fills up.

Quick Reply

Latest