The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Should I even apply?

Hi there,
I really want to apply to Kings, to do English and Classical Studies, but am unsure whether I would even be considered
My GCSEs: 4 A*s, 5 As, 2 Bs and a C

My AS- English Lit- B (but resit)
Philosophy and Ethics - A
Sociology- A
Art- B

I'm predicted A*, A, A, B

First of all, I'm worried these won't be good enough for Kings (AAA), and the website says that ancient history/classical studies are preferred, which my school offered neither!
I didn't take history A level, as it was modern history.

Do you think I should even apply?

Scroll to see replies

Well, i think it would be worth applying if thats where you really want to go, just make sure your personal statement really highlights how enthusiastic and interested you are in the subject and maybe do some of your own research which you can then refer to in your personal statement to show them that.
Based on your grades you are completely adequate for their course, they say Ancient History/Classical Civ. are preferred because they know not everyone gets the chance to study such subjects. You have 4 other choices so its worth applying and see where you get, make sure your choices are fairly varied though so you're not left out in the cold grade-wise.
I'm applying for Ancient History also good luck!
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
I'm applying for Philosophy (notoriously high applicant rate) and my GCSE equivalents (I did them in Spain) are nowhere near as good as yours. The only reason I'm bothering is because of my predicted grades - I say go for it. Good luck!
(edited 12 years ago)
With those AS results, especially in those subjects (art and sociology really aren't going to be very useful, are they?) I wouldn't think KCL would seriously entertain your application, to be honest.

They get many applicants who do meet the required standard and are still rejected - it would seem a bit unfair if you were to be given an offer.
Reply 4
Original post by Aspiringlawstudent
With those AS results, especially in those subjects (art and sociology really aren't going to be very useful, are they?) I wouldn't think KCL would seriously entertain your application, to be honest.

They get many applicants who do meet the required standard and are still rejected - it would seem a bit unfair if you were to be given an offer.

What are you talking about? The OP's predicted grades exceed the required grades...
Original post by laura94
What are you talking about? The OP's predicted grades exceed the required grades...

But the subjects aren't really academic enough...
Reply 6

Two of your subjects aren't considered particularly "academic" either and you carried both of them to A2.
Reply 7

They are. There's nothing wrong with her choices. You may not view them as academic but your opinion doesn't influence/extend to the Kings Admission faculty. The only thing I can see wrong with the OP's application is she's applying for a part English Lit course however achieved a B in English Lit AS. OP, if you're school offered neither they'll understand.
Original post by Xenopain
They are. There's nothing wrong with her choices. You may not view them as academic but your opinion doesn't influence/extend to the Kings Admission faculty. The only thing I can see wrong with the OP's application is she's applying for a part English Lit course however achieved a B in English Lit AS. OP, if you're school offered neither they'll understand.

OP asks for our opinions. I gave mine.
Reply 9

OP asks for our opinions. I gave mine.

So? If you're going to give an opinion, might as well give a proper one. I can understand informing someone of their less academic subjects when they're applying for universities like LSE and Cambridge which do specify some guidelines however I have yet to see any evidence that their guidelines extend to Kings. Also, even according to Cambridge the only 'non-academic' subjects would be sociology and even then it falls into the limited suitability category.
Original post by Beth1793
Hi there,
I really want to apply to Kings, to do English and Classical Studies, but am unsure whether I would even be considered
Do you think I should even apply?

I would try emailing the relevant department at kings asking for their advice. they'll most likely give you a generic response but its worth a go. with your predicted grades i think you stand a pretty good chance of getting an offer, as long as you have a good PS.

and good luck with english, I really enjoyed it even though I'm doing Maths at kings now
I got BBBCCCCCDU at GCSE and AACD at AS, predicted A*A*A* at A2, and people told me I have a shot (for International Relations) at a thread further down, and are being sceptical for the OP? :tongue:
Reply 12
Thank you for everyones help and opinions, I think I may apply, and have some back up choices!
Thanks again :smile:
I applies for Maths (and got in) with less GCSE's and aabc at AS. Anything's possible if you work hard enough and make your PS good enough. :smile:
Just make sure your ps is good and go for it if that's where you really want to go! :biggrin:
Reply 15
Apply. They let me in and I'm pretty dim.
Reply 16
Forgot about this thread, but I got in! Thank you :biggrin: xx
Reply 17
well i guess it's true that you never know unless you try :biggrin: congratulations getting into King's!!

meanwhile i'm still waiting for them to get back to me about my Law application.. :s-smilie:
Reply 18
Well done! I've had an offer to do Ancient History, nice to see someone who might be studying in the same department (for your Classical Studies modules). :smile:
Reply 19

I think that you are viewing things from a different subject perspective. In the arts, humanities and social sciences her subjects are fine. They are perfectly respected academic subjects for these fields.

Quick Reply

Latest