The Student Room Group

Is Maths a low level degree course?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by joancollins
Well, in the UK you'd be better off with Economics, Management, Business or Law. tbh, maths graduates I've met here are a bit nerdy and not really that smart.

Probably the most genuinely mickey mouse subject available at degree level in the UK.
Original post by Jake22
Probably the most genuinely mickey mouse subject available at degree level in the UK.

whats MBA then? 50000 for mickey mouse?
Original post by Jake22
It is and it isn't. I reckon it is probably a lot easier to coast through a maths degree and get a 2.1 then for example, doing the same in History, English, Chemistry, Physics etc. etc.

That said, if you pay attention and try to learn something then it can be pretty high level.

Disagree. I am a mathematician but I am not a scientist.

thats cause you dont see the connection. another one who didnt get into economics...
Reply 83
thats cause you dont see the connection. another one who didnt get into economics...

What are you implying by saying this?
I was thinking that this thread may be refering to its level of abstraction rather than it's value.

MBAs are worthless without prior experience and also if not from a reputable business school. The main benefit of the MBA is the connections and networking available when doing the degree rather than the degree itself.
Reply 86

We were talking about undergraduate degrees.
Reply 87

No, it is because I define science to be the study of phenomena utilising the scientific method. I am a mathematician who doesn't study phenomena but rather axiomatically posited spaces and other structures.

Maybe you can't understand the distinction.

Is your degree subject 'Ironically retarded condescension' or are you just a natural?
I cannot say what degree I did because I don't want to reveal too much about myself on TSR. just posting my opinion. nobody here wants to do engineering or sciences, thats not where the money is. if you gona spend lots on a degree u take something that pays. :smile:

lol Mathematicians, Physicists, Chemists, Engineers etc. from top universities are all very sought after graduates. A graduate of one of these degrees from a top university has just as much chance as an economics graduate from a top university of landing a well paid job.
Reply 89
Original post by TheJ0ker
Lol of course it does.

I'm not sure you live on the same planet as the rest of us humans. Maths graduates can get ANY job the economics graduates can, so can physics graduates for that matter.

And just so you know, chemical engineers have one of the highest graduating salaries out of all the degrees.

An Economist for a start.
Reply 90
Original post by tazarooni89
I find that Asian parents generally seem to want their kids to study medicine etc. because of the comfortable salary it brings in after university. I'd say finish your maths degree, get a job that pays higher than a doctor's salary, and then ask him again why exactly he wanted you to do medicine.

This is similar to what happened to me. My own family were happy for me to study maths, but distant relatives just got the impression that I wasn't clever enough to do medicine (because obviously, medicine is what a person studies by default - everyone else just ends up on the dole). I didn't choose my degree/career for the money, but at least the fact that I'm 21, and a junior doctor earns just over half of what I do has silenced some snide remarks, which is nice.

Until very recently, some of the most lucrative jobs in the financial sector haven't really existed in less economically developed countries - whereas doctors have existed everywhere. So a lot of people still have that mindset that medicine is the "best" career, because it has more of a history of a comfortable income. A lot of people just don't know what else there is. As for the subject itself, I'd probably go as far as to say that Maths at Cambridge is one of the most respected, if not the most respected degree courses in the world.

Wow! Amazing!! Where did u study? And what do u work as now?
Original post by sabana
Yes youre right actually. Pathetic isnt it that asian parents think any course other than medicine or sciences is worthless.

It's actually rather strange, because I'd imagine most Indian parents would jump at the opportunity to tell their relatives that their own flesh and blood is studying "pure mathematics" at degree level.
Original post by pacni
What are you implying by saying this?

you just said you're a mathematician but not a scientist!

sigh

do I need to explain everything? like to a 3 year old?
Reply 93

sigh

Well for one, that wasn't me that said that... Also, I was referring to you saying "another one that didn't get into economics..." you seem to be implying that all those applying to do maths are people that didn't get into economics. I was just asking you to clarify.

Considering you are acting like a 3 year old with your ignorant and judgmental views of other people's (hopeful) degrees, yet continue to refuse to answer what degree you are doing, then yes you do need to explain everything because I'm given the impression that many people here have difficulties in understanding your limited perspective :s-smilie:
Reply 94

sigh

I cannot believe someone of your intelligence managed to find a university that would accept you for a degree!
Original post by TheJ0ker
I cannot believe someone of your intelligence managed to find a university that would accept you for a degree!

I know, they don't even grasp my genious!
Reply 96

sigh

Did you not read my explanation?

Jake22

No, it is because I define science to be the study of phenomena utilising the scientific method. I am a mathematician who doesn't study phenomena but rather axiomatically posited spaces and other structures.

Maybe you can't understand the distinction.

Is your degree subject 'Ironically retarded condescension' or are you just a natural?

I am guessing that the emboldened sentence is applicable in this instance.

I will try and give you the Simple English Wikipedia version.

Science is often defined to be the study of observable events according to the scientific method. This means that one observes the world around them, makes some predictions and then tests them by making repeated observations or performing experiments to confirm their hunches. If the observation/experimentation confirms the hypothesis then the theory is accepted as explaining the original hypothesis until the theory is refined or refuted by further experimentation/observation. The point is that truth is somewhat transient - one doesn't prove things to be true but rather one rules out alternative statements by demonstrating them to be false.

In Mathematics however, one studies imaginary objects which are a priori declared to exist (in whatever sense) and then studies these objects by making logical deductions from axiomatic truths. That is one starts off with imaginary objects and declares certain properties to be true and then one derives logical conclusions which one then accepts as being true.

There is obviously many connections between maths and science but on the other hand - much of maths is definately not science and also much of science is definately not maths.

You can patronise and condescend all you like but you are making yourself look even more retarded (quite some feat considering the circumstances...) by claiming that you could explain it to a three year old yet failing to do so.

Why not actually have an intelligent discussion where you give convincing arguments to counter the claims that you disagree with?

Until you do so, the current theory, based on evidence would be that you are a moronic cretin whose rhetorical ability is limited to the stage of "You're wrong because I am right and you are stupid."

Quick Reply

Latest